VIFP program

difi

7 hours ago, BenjiRodney said:

Thre needs to be a level between Platinum and Diamond. 75-199 is a huge jump. Currently at 115 days with 19 more days booked. Will take awhile to hit that Diamond Status. 

There needs to be more benefits for gold members. Platinum and Diamond members are doing just fine.

• Like 5

Just my opinion, but they need to require more days before they give out perks at the Platinum level. Right now it is too easy to make Platinum. I know some people won’t agree, but the vast number of Platinums supports my viewpoint.

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There needs to be more benefits for gold members. Platinum and Diamond members are doing just fine.

I definitely don’t agree that gold members need more benefits.  If anything they should look at cutting benefits for platinums. I am a platinum, but Carnival has too many platinums, so I could live with any possible negative changes. It doesn’t make too much sense when so  many cruises have a significant number of platinums, not to mention diamonds. When you have ships with 50% or higher having priority status, you really don’t have much priority wise. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Don’t agree, I have been on ships with less than 300 Diamond and Platinum cruisers.  It really depends on the ship and time of year.  

21 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I definitely don’t agree that gold members need more benefits.  If anything they should look at cutting benefits for platinums. I am a platinum, but Carnival has too many platinums, so I could live with any possible negative changes. It doesn’t make too much sense when so  many cruises have a significant number of platinums, not to mention diamonds. When you have ships with 50% or higher having priority status, you really don’t have much priority wise. 

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just my opinion, but they need to require more days before they give out perks at the Platinum level. Right now it is too easy to make Platinum. I know some people won’t agree, but the vast number of Platinums supports my viewpoint.

Well, considering they already made it harder to get to platinum when they changed the loyalty program from platinum at 10 cruises of any length (i.e. you could be platinum after ten 3 day cruises) to the requirement of 75 days at sea. Granted, that is still easy to reach if you have the time and means to cruise frequently. I know for me it's still gonna be awhile before I reach platinum at our current rate of 1 a year since 2017. Currently, I have been on 7 cruises since 2004 with a total of 39 days at sea, I go on a 8 day this April, that will be 47 days, I will need at least 4 more 7 day cruises after that.

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I definitely don’t agree that gold members need more benefits.  If anything they should look at cutting benefits for platinums. I am a platinum, but Carnival has too many platinums, so I could live with any possible negative changes. It doesn’t make too much sense when so  many cruises have a significant number of platinums, not to mention diamonds. When you have ships with 50% or higher having priority status, you really don’t have much priority wise . 

And so yeah, you don't need to increase the number of days to reach platinum, you'll still have all the same people that are currently platinum as they will most likely be "grandfathered in" like the last time they changed the program, that just leaves reducing the benefits. Maybe the several of the platinum benefits need to be moved to just being for Diamonds, that would certainly reduce the number of priority passengers and reduce the size of the past guest party again.    

• Like 2

I find threads like this one amusing.

This forum is full of folks complaining that Carnival doesn't do enough to recognize their loyal customers, and MSC or RCI or whoever do this and that for their long-term customers, and all Carnival wants is Blue cards every cruise to maximize revenue.

And yet here we have a thread saying Platinums should get perks cut, and Golds certainly deserve no more.

Carnival is probably sitting back saying: "Well, the CC people are unhappy on both fronts, so taking the average we are probably doing just fine.  Don't change a thing."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Right?  I just realized recently I will be Gold after next cruise.  I was all excited and went and looked- unless I'm missing something I get a pin-didn't see anything else......so really whats the point. Don't fake me out like that Carnival! lol  And for the people saying No-why the heck do you care if they give Gold members another perk or two.  That would just be horrible for you wouldn't it if they gave us TWO bottles of water instead of 1? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, and to continue the actual discussion:

We are relatively new but enthusiastic cruisers.  We'll hit Gold later this year.  What do I get for it, beyond the perk (free large bottle of water) already enjoyed as a "lowly" Red?  A pin and a "free drink" (on the last day for cruises 5 days and over, after 5pm.  And since we get Cheers, that equals, well, nothing).  So a pin.

What will Platinum bring me, after I sail for triple the amount of time it took to get to Gold?  Well, for me, the value-added perks will be the free laundry (which I'd use for non-delicates only), logo gift, and priority boarding (embarkation and tenders/shuttles).  The D&P party might be OK, depending on whether we are still buying the Cheers package by then, so the free drink therefore might be useful too.  Oh, and another pin.  And that's each!  So we can do 4 bags of laundry for free on shorter cruises!  Yippee!

Is that enough of a reward for having spent 75 days at $200 per day per person (probably a low-ball estimate, overall)?  $15,000 pp (so $30K for both of us) is a lot of disposable income (for me, at least) to have directed at one company/brand.

I cruise Carnival because I like, the VIFP perks are nice but not why we keep coming back.

But it will be probably 10 years from now before I hit Platinum, and I am sure my priorities will have changed in between - and perhaps the rewards.  I guess we'll see!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There use to be a person that posted on here that had * Four Time Diamond * posted in their signature. So perhaps its already changed :classic_blink:.     Just a few months back at the Diamond /Platinum party the CD introduced a couple of new Diamond members, both under the age of 12.   It's not a question of if the VIFP program changes , its when it changes and it will.   

Will we like the changes ? Carnivals past history tells us not so much.   I would have to think a new level would be created to accommodate the masses .  Diamond plus or Sapphire :classic_blink:?   Other than priority boarding it's nothing to stand on top of a mountain and yodel about anyways :classic_biggrin:

Will it be leaked before hand , sure several Carnival staff members found their foot in their mouths a few times when the last change developed into what it is today  .CC was the first place it was leaked to.

Will it amount to a hill of beans when its all said and done, no not really.  In the mean time get on a ship and enjoy the seas. :classic_tongue:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I find threads like this one amusing.

This forum is full of folks complaining that Carnival doesn't do enough to recognize their loyal customers, and MSC or RCI or whoever do this and that for their long-term customers, and all Carnival wants is Blue cards every cruise to maximize revenue. 

And yet here we have a thread saying Platinums should get perks cut, and Golds certainly deserve no more. 

Carnival is probably sitting back saying: "Well, the CC people are unhappy on both fronts, so taking the average we are probably doing just fine.  Don't change a thing."

I know, right?! Good times! :classic_laugh: Although @PhillyFan33579 does have a point that if sailings have a lot of priority cruisers, it kinda makes that perk not so special. We had FTTF on last cruise, and with all the priority passengers, it was a pretty good sized crowd lining up to board first and they really didn't get on much faster than us and then the earliest check-in time non-priority people.

23 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Oh, and to continue the actual discussion:

We are relatively new but enthusiastic cruisers.  We'll hit Gold later this year.  What do I get for it, beyond the perk (free large bottle of water) already enjoyed as a "lowly" Red?  A pin and a "free drink" (on the last day for cruises 5 days and over, after 5pm.  And since we get Cheers, that equals, well, nothing).  So a pin.

What will Platinum bring me, after I sail for triple the amount of time it took to get to Gold?  Well, for me, the value-added perks will be the free laundry (which I'd use for non-delicates only), logo gift, and priority boarding (embarkation and tenders/shuttles).  The D&P party might be OK, depending on whether we are still buying the Cheers package by then, so the free drink therefore might be useful too.  Oh, and another pin.  And that's each!  So we can do 4 bags of laundry for free on shorter cruises!  Yippee!

Is that enough of a reward for having spent 75 days at $200 per day per person (probably a low-ball estimate, overall)?  $15,000 pp (so $30K for both of us) is a lot of disposable income (for me, at least) to have directed at one company/brand.

I cruise Carnival because I like, the VIFP perks are nice but not why we keep coming back.

But it will be probably 10 years from now before I hit Platinum, and I am sure my priorities will have changed in between - and perhaps the rewards.  I guess we'll see!

I'm with you on this. We too get Cheers, so the drink coupon is worthless, but we will drink the water though and it's kinda nice to already have that in the cabin, but perks aren't why we stay with Carnival, they  are affordable and we enjoy their product.      

I probably got at least 4 more years or so until I reach platinum, and sure, I would take the perks, but I'd most likely still enjoy my cruise just as much without them. :classic_biggrin:

I agree with the last two posters...my wife and I continue to cruise on Carnival because we always have fun on their ships, not because of any perks we receive. The only perk we consistently use is the 2 for 1 slots/blackjack tournament entries, which saves us $25 per cruise.  We agreed years ago we would try another cruise line the first time we have a less than enjoyable cruise on Carnival, which still hasn’t happened yet in 24 cruises. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, schazzy said:

I know, right?! Good times! :classic_laugh: Although @PhillyFan33579 does have a point that if sailings have a lot of priority cruisers, it kinda makes that perk not so special. We had FTTF on last cruise, and with all the priority passengers, it was a pretty good sized crowd lining up to board first and they really didn't get on much faster than us and then the earliest check-in time non-priority people.

I respectfully disagree about it not being so special by the amount of people that have it.    Maybe boarding and getting off of the ship takes longer with more Platinum.Diamonds but you still get free laundry, dedicated phone and line at Guest Services, priority water shuttle, free gift, free cocktail party and a few other things.  

The VIFP program is designed to both reward repeat cruisers and to get repeat cruisers.  Having read on here and done it ourselves. being a few short of being Platinum on a booked cruise, we booked another shorter one just to throw us into the next level on the later cruise.  It's a money maker for them or they wouldn't be doing it.

I also think the gap between platinum and diamond levels is too large.  Wish they would put in a "platinum plus" level like NCL has.  I will be going on my milestone cruise (25th) with Carnival in March.  Under the old program I would have been diamond.  I will have 175 cruise days at the end of my upcoming cruise - still 4 cruises from diamond.  It seems so close, yet so far a reach to get there!  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

If anything they should look at cutting benefits for platinums.

I have to disagree with this...they should give golds more benefits as well as keep the current benefits for platinums or even give them more benefits. Why would you want to keep coming back again and again if you weren't getting benefits for it?

We had JUST turned gold when they yanked the past guest party out from under us and I was seriously annoyed. If they start cutting benefits for platinums, I (and probably my DH) will be blowing up customer svc's inbox and voice mail with complaints about it. We worked hard and spent a crapton of money to become platinum and to have the few benefits we DO get yanked out from under us when we only recently became platinum (as of last summer) is just *bleeping* *bleep* *bleep bleep bleep* unfair.

Should they add a level BETWEEN gold and platinum and between platinum and diamond? Probably. But if you start yanking the few benefits we get as platinums out from under us, it's not fair. It's not fair to the people who are just about to become platinum with their next trip after years spent working towards that goal.

We're fortunate...we are able to take usually 2-3 cruises a year so we reached platinum fairly quickly (about 5 years). Not everybody who sails is that lucky...maybe they only get to take one cruise a year. So it takes them a decade (maybe) to earn that platinum level. And to yank it away from them just as they're about to reach it is cruel.

• Like 3

You have to look at the value of each cruise, not the cumulative amount of money you have spent with them. They owe you nothing. If you are receiving a good value for your cruise dollar, what's the complaint? If you're not, try someone else. If you are spending $30-40 thousand to obtain a diamond card, I've got a stack of them that I'd be happy to start selling at a much cheaper price.

Brand loyalty isn't all its cracked up to be. The brand does what is best for them, regardless of your loyalty.

• Like 2

I've only been on one cruise (second one coming up!!), don't gamble or buy Cheers and enjoy a variety of vacations, so perhaps I'm not the demo Carnival is after, but I have to say that compared to other travel/entertainment options the rewards for cruising are pretty lame and difficult to obtain.

frequent flyer = free flights

frequent car renter = free rental days/upgrades

frequent hotel stay = free nights

my local pizza buffet gives every 10th visit free

frequent cruise = free bottle of water and eventually .. you get on the ship faster and a blankets (left off the drink and party for dramatic purposes 🙂 ) 

They could really up the ante... free blanket for ALL repeat cruisers, free soda package for gold and up, free specialty meal for platinum (every cruise), free gratuities for diamond (once per year).. with all benefits stacking. 

As of now the loyalty programs are not enough to make me a loyal Carnival cruiser. I'm still more interested in ports, amenities, and overall value. Perhaps an aggressive loyalty campaign would create more loyalty and make casual cruisers faithful cruisers. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I respectfully disagree about it not being so special by the amount of people that have it.    Maybe boarding and getting off of the ship takes longer with more Platinum.Diamonds but you still get free laundry, dedicated phone and line at Guest Services, priority water shuttle, free gift, free cocktail party and a few other things.  

The VIFP program is designed to both reward repeat cruisers and to get repeat cruisers.  Having read on here and done it ourselves. being a few short of being Platinum on a booked cruise, we booked another shorter one just to throw us into the next level on the later cruise.  It's a money maker for them or they wouldn't be doing it.

Well, I was just referring to the priority boarding part not being so special if on your sailing around half the passengers have priority boarding all trying to get on as early as possible. Not to mention, I can't imagine the D&P lounge can feel very special if it's standing room only or overflowing. And in another thread, someone reported they won't have their cabins ready until 1:30 because of how many D&Ps there were on that sailing, it seems to me that if you start not being able to get some of your perks because of the number of passengers who have it, it does kinda reduce the specialness of it.

50 minutes ago, IPlayWithString said:

I have to disagree with this...they should give golds more benefits as well as keep the current benefits for platinums or even give them more benefits. Why would you want to keep coming back again and again if you weren't getting benefits for it?

We had JUST turned gold when they yanked the past guest party out from under us and I was seriously annoyed. If they start cutting benefits for platinums, I (and probably my DH) will be blowing up customer svc's inbox and voice mail with complaints about it. We worked hard and spent a crapton of money to become platinum and to have the few benefits we DO get yanked out from under us when we only recently became platinum (as of last summer) is just *bleeping* *bleep* *bleep bleep bleep* unfair.

Should they add a level BETWEEN gold and platinum and between platinum and diamond? Probably. But if you start yanking the few benefits we get as platinums out from under us, it's not fair. It's not fair to the people who are just about to become platinum with their next trip after years spent working towards that goal.

We're fortunate...we are able to take usually 2-3 cruises a year so we reached platinum fairly quickly (about 5 years). Not everybody who sails is that lucky...maybe they only get to take one cruise a year. So it takes them a decade (maybe) to earn that platinum level. And to yank it away from them just as they're about to reach it is cruel.

Well, like I said earlier, I don't continue to cruise with Carnival for the perks, but that's not saying I wasn't disappointed when we came back to cruising in 2017 to find Golds were no longer invited to a past guest event and that it was replaced by a $9 drink coupon.

But, also I do remember the last one I went to and it was held in the main theater and it was pretty large crowd in there, so in retrospect, I can kinda see why they cut out the Golds, just too many of us.

It may 4 or more years before I reach Platinum, and if they take away perks before then, at least for me, it won't make much difference to me as I didn't have the perks before. But I can see and understand the disappointment and frustration of losing them for those that would have already had them.