"Almost" Live from Explorer

Travelcat2

The ONLY airport I would accept a 45mins connection time at is ZRH (Zürich).  It is extremely efficient.  You can change terminals, go through Immigration and make your connection with your bags making it too in 45mins.  (Assuming you are travelling on one ticket and don't have to collect the bags and re-check them of course!)  For the rest of the world I also would think 2-3 hours would be a minimum cushion.  For FRA - make that 4.  Ghastly place!

8 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

The ONLY airport I would accept a 45mins connection time at is ZRH (Zürich).  It is extremely efficient.  You can change terminals, go through Immigration and make your connection with your bags making it too in 45mins.  (Assuming you are travelling on one ticket and don't have to collect the bags and re-check them of course!)  For the rest of the world I also would think 2-3 hours would be a minimum cushion.  For FRA - make that 4.  Ghastly place!

For my own peace of mind I will pretend I didn’t read this. We have a 2:25 connection in FRA at the end of April. It’s post-cruise so as long as we don’t get stuffed into coach seats from FRA to SFO I’m not too concerned. 

14 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

For FRA - make that 4.  Ghastly place!

I didn't mind FRA much at all. 

In the 80's. 

When I lived there and either flew in or out, not connecting.

Last few times I've connected through there it's been...well, ghastly is as good a word as any.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

More snow this morning so I'm thinking of how to do things like get to an ATM in the U.S. (will use an ATM in Dallas) and, as silly as it sounds, I need a manicure and pedicure (can get that on the ship if all else fails).

I am not going to blame anyone besides myself for booking these flights.  Yes - AA should not book flights so close together - especially not in one of the largest airport we've ever seen.  

As long as we on the subject is short connection times, any thoughts about flying into dreaded Heathrow on Air Canada and departing an 1 hour 5 minutes later on TAP Portugal?

P.S.  The 6:00 a.m. flight that we'll be taking on Friday left 3 minutes early this morning.  I just need to get there.

Jackie, the Heathrow website says TAP uses Terminal 2 as well as Air Canada; if so, you'd probably be okay.  We've actually had good luck at Heathrow--things are quite streamlined, but not having to take the monorail and/or a bus between terminals should make things fairly easy.  I agree that the latter situation would be untenable.

Good luck with all the snow.  I always get a mani/pedi before I cruise as well, mainly because I'm cheap and don't like to pay the cruise ship prices, but then again, it's very nice to do it onboard!

Latest update.  Totally forgot that tomorrow is Valentine's (did buy cards but didn't think of it in terms of travel, hotel, etc.)  So, what does that have to do with  anything?  Well, the Fairmont almost doubled their prices and are full (depending upon whom you speak with).  This is due to Valentine's Day.

So, I found a 4* hotel about a mile from the airport (Fairmont YVR is only rated 4+*) for half of the price and the best part is that we could actually make a booking.  Note:  In case anyone has not figured it out by now, I am the one that is always trying to save money.  Even though they have transfers to the airport every 20 minutes, we need to get our car to a lot where we have reservations.  Rather than going to the parking lot and dropping off the car, then taking a shuttle to the airport and waiting for the shuttle back to the hotel (waiting in freezing weather), we're paying $19 to park at the hotel and will drop the car off around 4:00 a.m.

I know - way too much information.  My biggest issue remains how I will get the car from our home to a cleared road (2 houses away from us).  I can always slide the car down the driveway (actually, I can go slowly and it will be fine.)  If all else fails, may find a neighbor that could nudge us with their truck to the main road.  Freeways are fine -- just have to get there.

Still kind of thinking about going out for my nail appointment tomorrow.  Again, the issue is getting to the main road.

You guys must be so bored by now.  However, if this doesn't make you think twice about future bookings, I don't know what will.

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Latest update.  Totally forgot that tomorrow is Valentine's (did buy cards but didn't think of it in terms of travel, hotel, etc.)  So, what does that have to do with  anything?  Well, the Fairmont almost doubled their prices and are full (depending upon whom you speak with).  This is due to Valentine's Day.

So, I found a 4* hotel about a mile from the airport (Fairmont YVR is only rated 4+*) for half of the price and the best part is that we could actually make a booking.  Note:  In case anyone has not figured it out by now, I am the one that is always trying to save money.  Even though they have transfers to the airport every 20 minutes, we need to get our car to a lot where we have reservations.  Rather than going to the parking lot and dropping off the car, then taking a shuttle to the airport and waiting for the shuttle back to the hotel (waiting in freezing weather), we're paying $19 to park at the hotel and will drop the car off around 4:00 a.m.

I know - way too much information.  My biggest issue remains how I will get the car from our home to a cleared road (2 houses away from us).  I can always slide the car down the driveway (actually, I can go slowly and it will be fine.)  If all else fails, may find a neighbor that could nudge us with their truck to the main road.  Freeways are fine -- just have to get there.

Still kind of thinking about going out for my nail appointment tomorrow.  Again, the issue is getting to the main road.

You guys must be so bored by now.  However, if this doesn't make you think twice about future bookings, I don't know what will.

Jackie, what hotel did you end up booking? 

For those outside North America reading this thread, a couple of observations on subtle but important differences:

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Unfortunately, yes you are full of soup.  The T's and C's clearly state that the cruise line is not responsible for third parties delays/issues and as Rachel accurately stated, sometimes the ship can wait as long as possible but, not always and that it is your responsibility to get to the ship as possible.

For those booking in the UK, the cruiseline does have responsibility for their suppliers including issues with flights that they book, as they are selling a "package" as defined in law. This gives the UK consumer added protection.

Having said that, the ship will still depart on time and the customer will still suffer hassle if flights are delayed, connections are missed etc. Therefore it is still worth double checking the flight arrangements and connection times.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

And never mind the fact that the airlines count 'Arrival Time' as the time you land and 'Departure Time' as the time they close the aircraft door (or at least that's what I've seen happen - YMMV). 

Under European Law, covering statutory compensation for delayed flights, the arrival time is defined as the time when the aircraft door is opened at the arrival gate. As Bill rightly points out this can be some time after touch-down.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

More snow this morning so I'm thinking of how to do things like get to an ATM in the U.S. (will use an ATM in Dallas) and, as silly as it sounds, I need a manicure and pedicure (can get that on the ship if all else fails).

P.S.  The 6:00 a.m. flight that we'll be taking on Friday left 3 minutes early this morning.  I just need to get there.

Hope you get everything done and we wish you a safe journey from home to Vancouver airport.

The early flight and long layover in Dallas is so much more preferable than the stress of you and/or your luggage missing the connection. You were fortunate to be able to change Regent booked flights at such a late stage and at a relatively reasonable cost.

Just keep remembering how stress-busting that first glass of champagne on Explorer will be🍾😎

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

As long as we on the subject is short connection times, any thoughts about flying into dreaded Heathrow on Air Canada and departing an 1 hour 5 minutes later on TAP Portugal?

Both flights will be Terminal 2, which is the newest Terminal at Heathrow.

In theory, 1 hour should be OK but if the arrival of the Air Canada flight is delayed for any reason then the connection could be tight for you and/or your luggage

However, I presume the TAP-Air flight is to Lisbon. There are plenty of flights LHR to LIS every day, so missing one should not be a disaster.

4 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Thanks. If you get the chance would you mind mentioning how you like it after your stay. 

Will do!  

flossie, thank you for the information on Heathrow - very helpful.  Thanks to you and others for the well wishes - it is appreciated!

P.S.  I turned my back for one minute and Dennis is shoveling again:classic_rolleyes: :classic_angry: :classic_sad:

Edited by Travelcat2

22 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

For those booking in the UK, the cruiseline does have responsibility for their suppliers including issues with flights that they book, as they are selling a "package" as defined in law. This gives the UK consumer added protection.

Having said that, the ship will still depart on time and the customer will still suffer hassle if flights are delayed, connections are missed etc. Therefore it is still worth double checking the flight arrangements and connection times.

Thanks for that info flossie.  Forgot about the consumer protections in the UK.  Unfortunate absolutely none of that is here in the colonies.  And differences like this can be disastrous when someone in a different country read something that is not true for them. 

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I didn't mind FRA much at all. 

In the 80's. 

When I lived there and either flew in or out, not connecting.

Last few times I've connected through there it's been...well, ghastly is as good a word as any.

When you lived in Frankfurt there was no such thing as Schengen.   Now there is.  It is great (for those of us who live there...) but not for those who transit between "extra Schengen" and "intra Schengen".  The signage at the Frankfurt airport is terrible (even if you speak German, which I do).   It takes ages to find your way.  Avoid it if at all possible...

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Both flights will be Terminal 2, which is the newest Terminal at Heathrow.

In theory, 1 hour should be OK but if the arrival of the Air Canada flight is delayed for any reason then the connection could be tight for you and/or your luggage

However, I presume the TAP-Air flight is to Lisbon. There are plenty of flights LHR to LIS every day, so missing one should not be a disaster.

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

For my own peace of mind I will pretend I didn’t read this. We have a 2:25 connection in FRA at the end of April. It’s post-cruise so as long as we don’t get stuffed into coach seats from FRA to SFO I’m not too concerned. 

Where are you connecting from Jeb_bud?  If extra Schengen - no problem.  But if intra-Schengen - BIG problem...

8 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Gerry, I rather confused issues by bringing up Heathrow.  We need to deviate our fights to Lisbon (via LHR) on February 22nd - while we are on Explorer.  I needed to figure out flights before we leave so I can send them to our TA.  Sorry for the confusion.

To clarify Regent's position when they book your flights.  If our flight was cancelled, Regent would do whatever possible to book us on another flight/route.  This can be extremely helpful for people in that position.  In our case, it is getting to the airport that is the current problem - we changed flights a couple of days ago and they are flying on time (with no new snow expected before we leave).

Thanks Dave - I missed that (just thinking about this current cruise of Jackie and Dennis' and wondering how on earth TAP would get into the picture....

For me the easiest connections at LHR are BA to BA via T5.  But i do not like BA as an airline - it has gone down seriously.  TAP - I would never fly.  (would prefer to fly an American domestic US flight than TAP !!)

33 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie - you posted as I did... which means though we are 9 hours apart we are both awake!

Do not fly TAP if you can avoid it.  It is dreadful...even in Business.

Based on what you and others have said, we'll likely go with BA - even though their flight times are terrible.  Better safe than miss the flight.  Must say that this is likely the most important  cruise we've planned in terms of Dennis' birthday and it bothers me terribly to see him upset.  This cruise is 100% about him and I want to make it as special as possible.  Think I'll put a bottle of good wine in the trunk of the car so we can share it on Valentine's Day at the hotel.

45 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

As best I know Jackie and Dennis are flying to DFW and NOT to LHR and NOT on TAP.  How did TAP get into the act I have to ask... ???  Their destination from DFW is Santiago...  which is in CHILE  (south america)

With all due respect, I was simply answering the question posed by TC2.

@Travelcat2, despite some adverse reviews the best options for flights from LHR to LIS are TapAir or BA, as both have numerous flights daily. The advantage of TapAir for you is that they operate their flights from LHR T2, whereas BA flights to Lisbon generally depart from T3.

A useful tool when considering connections at London Heathrow is the airport's connection planner - not infallible but gives a guide to absolute minimum times to be considered.

We had a flight from BCN to FRA last summer with a 1h layover.  Flight from BCN was 30 minutes late thus a 30 minute layover. We were at the end of 1 terminal and our connection at the other end of the next terminal. And we still had to go thru a customs check.  Somehow we made it and somehow our bags made it too.  We boarded the plane and they shut the door. Closest ever.

17 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Focused1, I am afraid you are confusing the Fairmont Vancouver with the Fairmont yvr which is the hotel located right in the airport. I'm no expert, but I think as airport hotels (actually attached to the airport) go the Fairmont is most likely one of the best.

Yes, you are right. I am referring to the Fairmont waterfront  in Vancouver across from the cruiseport. 

Edited by Focused1
Answered wrong question.

Tc:   Happy (as possible) Valentine's Day to you and your Honey.   Really sorry to hear the messy story.   But good of you (and others) to post.   Seriously hoping that things go well, and wishing the two of you the best.   (And agree about the snow shoveling.  My  sister is near 70 and won't stop; worries me a lot.)

Jackie,

You definitely made the correct decision by switching to the earler flight from Vancouver.  We flew to DFW today to connect to the AA flight to Santiago.

We left San Diego about one hour late due to what they called a ground stop at DFW that completely halted all arrivals and departures for a time.  Consequently all flights to DFW were not allowed to leave their departure airports during the pendency of the ground stop.  We arrived at DFW about 30 minutes late.  Luckily we have a four plus hour connection so losing 30 minutes doesn’t affect us although other people on our flight with short connection times did miss their connecting flights..  If you had stuck to your original booking, you would have missed your flight to Santiago.

See you and Dennis on the cruise.  Happy Valentine Day.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr