Message Icon

lenquixote66

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why is there a message icon but we cannot send messages ? I clicked on it and read "you are only allowed to send 0 messages a day ,try again later."

Private messaging is not operational on CC.

Decision of mods/owners/etc.

GC

37 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why is there a message icon but we cannot send messages ? I clicked on it and read "you are only allowed to send 0 messages a day ,try again later."

Messaging has not been available on CC at least as long as I've been here.  CC doesn't want any "behind the scenes" discussions, they set this site up for open and available to everyone information sharing.

The "new" site has the icon (messaging option), but it's not enabled.

Not really a cruising question.

Edited by Shmoo here

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One explanation is that CC purchased some "off the rack" design for their "new" website. A lack of available customization (by CC)  has resulted in a variety of "glitches" -particularly related to notifications. And, of course, the removal of the iOS app has been a real loss. The "mobile friendly" website? Failing grade.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, Shmoo here said:

Messaging has not been available on CC at least as long as I've been here.  CC doesn't want any "behind the scenes" discussions, they set this site up for open and available to everyone information sharing.

The "new" site has the icon (messaging option), but it's not enabled.

Not really a cruising question.

I did not know the messaging was not available, and it is confusing when you see the message button there.  I was actually going to message someone and ask them about what they found out about the China Visa rather than posting that on our Roll Call.  I don't know what you mean by a "Not really a cruising question".  

28 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I did not know the messaging was not available, and it is confusing when you see the message button there.  I was actually going to message someone and ask them about what they found out about the China Visa rather than posting that on our Roll Call.  I don't know what you mean by a "Not really a cruising question".  

I think it is because this was posted in the Ask A Cruise Question forum, not in the Forum Assistance section.

59 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I think it is because this was posted in the Ask A Cruise Question forum, not in the Forum Assistance section.

Got it.  I think rather than saying, "Not really a cruising question", to help the poster re-direct the question to the correct place.  I get on CC only when I am planning a cruise and it takes me awhile to re-acquaint myself with the correct place to post things.  Someone with thousands of posts and who is consistently posting knows their way around the site better than someone who posts infrequently, or who is a beginning user to the site.  A comment like "Not really a cruising question" doesn't help out the poster, but might sound a little like scolding.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Got it.  I think rather than saying, "Not really a cruising question", to help the poster re-direct the question to the correct place.  I get on CC only when I am planning a cruise and it takes me awhile to re-acquaint myself with the correct place to post things.  Someone with thousands of posts and who is consistently posting knows their way around the site better than someone who posts infrequently, or who is a beginning user to the site.  A comment like "Not really a cruising question" doesn't help out the poster, but might sound a little like scolding.  

Well, since OP is one of those "with thousands of posts and who is consistently posting" here on CC, I'd hazard a guess that they're aware of the differences in the forums.

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, since OP is one of those "with thousands of posts and who is consistently posting" here on CC, I'd hazard a guess that they're aware of the differences in the forums.

Or, as I said, not accessing CC all of the time.  I got onto this message because I "searched" on CC for an answer to the very same question.  It seems odd to me that functionality that doesn't work, or is not intended to be offered to end users should be removed so that it does not cause confusion.  When you consider the recent CC upgrade/modifications/fixes, you might think this item would've been removed since it causes confusion.  The appropriate answer was provided to myself and the original poster.  Continuing on with sarcastic remarks isn't helpful to anyone.  

13 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Continuing on with sarcastic remarks isn't helpful to anyone.  

Sorry, that remark was not meant sarcastically.  I was just pointing out that that poster should be aware, and now has posted the same comment in the proper forum.

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Sorry, that remark was not meant sarcastically.  I was just pointing out that that poster should be aware, and now has posted the same comment in the proper forum.

You are correct.I posted on this board in error and when I realized my mistake I posted it on the correct board earlier today.

I agree.  Many times contacting the member makes way more sense than posting in the forum.  It makes no sense to have functionality buttons disabled with no intention to enable them.  Plus, as an irregular poster, I don't necessarily know where my question is best posted.  I would think CC would want to keep the messaging because people are forced to post their private email address openly on the site.  I've posted my email and other's do it too and there are very good reasons in having to do that.  I guess needing to post our private emails doesn't bother the CC folks.  Also, in terms of help, I would hope some people would be a little "generous" with their comments.  I guess what drives me most nuts are the people that think they have to chime in, but don't chime in with anything helpful, or they don't entirely read the message and answer with nonsense.  Just sayin.