Bahamas cruises are a waste of money???

Tntt

1 hour ago, ramja96 said:

We choose our cruises based on the following order of priorities:

1. Ship

2. Date

3. Port of departure

4. Ports of call

Don't worry about it.  Oasis-class ships are gorgeous and filled with more activities than you can fit into your itinerary.

Ditto...except we are restricted by Date due to kids in school, but point is...we cruise first for the ship.  The ports of call are a bonus and we find fun things to do wherever the ship is stopping.  

Symphony is the newest Royal ship and looks amazing.  Definitely worth it.

• Like 2

If your friend were to actually do what they say they can do, and fly into Nassau on a Friday and return on the following Monday (mimicking a 3-night Bahamas cruise) it would cost them on average ~$1100 per person for hotel and airfare, and then they'd have to cover all of their food costs as well. You could do a 3-night cruise in a full suite for less than what they'd pay for the opportunity not to do a cruise. Find friends without lobotomies and ask their advice instead.:classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will start looking into things to do while in port in nassau. This will be our childrens very 1st cruise and we are determined to make this vacation special.  Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, Tntt said:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will start looking into things to do while in port in nassau. This will be our childrens very 1st cruise and we are determined to make this vacation special.  Thanks again.

Which sailing are you on? We're on the 5/25 departure.

14 minutes ago, Tntt said:

Go into the port and wander a bit and get back on the ship. Much better activities on the ship than the Bahamas IMHO. Bahamas to me is a place to stay on the ship and you are on one of the best at sea.

Definitely go with a plan, especially with children. I truly believe that people that hate a port, like Nassau, just never bothered to look into things to do. If you get off the ship and wander around aimlessly, then you will probably hate it too. Look into the Bahamas forum, look at excursions that are offered, so some research on the port you are visiting. You don't have to spend the whole day off the ship, just a few hours and then get back on and enjoy all the neat stuff to do on the ship. You are on a cruise and the ports are a part of the whole experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have learned NOT to listen to anyone when it comes to cruises and I will tell you why. We are going to Bermuda for the 4th time in September and her family is telling us how stupid we are and making us feel like we are doing something wrong, but why? Its our vacation, we LOVE Bermuda and its our money. Why should anyone make you feel bad about it? I want to go to Bermuda every other year, is there anything wrong with that because I don't think there is? Its a beautiful, fun island.

Edited by JAMESCC
  • Like 1

Many people that have been to the Bahamas several times think it's waste of time. This is most likely because they have "been there, done that" many times. it sounds like this will be your first time there. There will be plenty of things to do for a first timer. Do not be discouraged by what your friend says. Plan some family activities and go have a great time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tntt said:

Ok.... I just need a little encouragement from the fellow cruisers.... my family and I are going on the symphony of the seas Bahamas cruise in may. We have been so excited and have been in great  anticipation.  After having a conversation with a friend that cruises often they said to me that we are wasting our money going on a cruise to the Bahamas and that Bahamas is only 50 miles from Florida and it is not worth the 12 hour drive to get to the port and cruise to a place that only takes a hr to get to by plane. Honestly I felt a little discouraged and they made me feel sorta stupid and a little embarrassed that I've been so excited  because I never thought of how close the Bahamas was. We are definitely still going but it kinda hurt my feelings that someone would say we are basically throwing our money away.... just curious does anyone else think Bahamas cruises are a waste of money?

Time for new friends. 

Don't worry, enjoy your cruise. 

I've been to Nassau once and had a great day. We walked to Junkanoo Beach and then back through the market area. Never felt threatened or intimidated. Then we took a ship's snorkel tour which was a highlight of the whole cruise. Sunshine, crystal clear water, plentiful fish, and rum punch on the way back. You don't realize how much you need to relax like that until you do haha. 

And cruising is almost always going to be more affordable than flying, hotel, meals, and entertainment booked separately. Have a great time!

11 hours ago, Tntt said:

Ok.... I just need a little encouragement from the fellow cruisers.... my family and I are going on the symphony of the seas Bahamas cruise in may. We have been so excited and have been in great  anticipation.  After having a conversation with a friend that cruises often they said to me that we are wasting our money going on a cruise to the Bahamas and that Bahamas is only 50 miles from Florida and it is not worth the 12 hour drive to get to the port and cruise to a place that only takes a hr to get to by plane. Honestly I felt a little discouraged and they made me feel sorta stupid and a little embarrassed that I've been so excited  because I never thought of how close the Bahamas was. We are definitely still going but it kinda hurt my feelings that someone would say we are basically throwing our money away.... just curious does anyone else think Bahamas cruises are a waste of money?

Don't let anyone rain on your parade. You're excited, GOOD! This is going to be a fun trip to a tropical island. And this is YOUR vacation, not theirs so they have no say in how awesome it will be. Cruises, in my opinion, are never a waste of money.

We live about an hour from Orlando and we go there ALL THE TIME,why?... because its fun. And we enjoy it. Who cares how close it is. What matters is that you are on vacation with family. Have fun and enjoy. Ignore the naysayers.

I think some of the responses telling the OP to ditch their friends (or at least dismiss their opinion) is kind of harsh especially because we all know people who don't get as excited about cruising as we do.

It's still not clear if the OP is doing the 3 or 4 night Bahamas-only cruises in May, or a 7 night cruise that includes the Bahamas.

If it's the 3/4 night, I would tend agree with the OP's friends that it isn't the best value when also considering the time (24 hours) for traveling to and from the cruise. A long drive for a short cruise vs. a short flight for more time on the beach. Even if its the journey rather than the destination, 24 hours on the road is still a lot of driving for a short cruise.

In any event, count me in as jealous that I'm not on the cruise too and send your friends lots of photos showing them how much fun you're having wasting your money! lol

For me, I'd be happy if Symphony sailed out 20 miles off shore and sailed around in circles for 4 or 5 days.  I've been to Nassau only twice.  The first time we were with kids young enough that they had to follow us and we brought them to Atlantis.  They loved it (Us too). The last time, our kids were old enough to stay on their own.  So we walk out and around a bit and went to Pirate Republic Brewing to have a few beers and we loved it.  Next time, we'll find something else we haven't been to yet... and also stop in Pirate Republic Brewing :classic_biggrin:☠️🍻

PRB - Trip Advisor

I'm also not worried when my friends disagree with me.  I'm much too stubborn to let my friends opinions ruin my vacation but they are still my friends.  In fact, everyone else's opinion other than mine is always just taken "under consideration" and not as fact.  Of course, unless it is my wife's opinion... then it is FACT 👩‍⚖️

Have fun and enjoy.

dp

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dpostman said:

For me, I'd be happy if Symphony sailed out 20 miles off shore and sailed around in circles for 4 or 5 days.

The transatlantic was heaven for everyone except James the port shopping guy who had nothing to do.

• Haha 1

Actually, Bahamas itineraries are one of our favorites because it might contain a stop at CoCo Cay (fabulous) or Labadee.

Nassau itself is a great stop but rather expensive if you elect to go to Atlantis, but that is just fab to walk through and see the huge Aquarium itself for free!  Yes, seasoned cruisers have been there done that and we usually stay on board there now...but you are a first timer....lots to see and enjoy.  Consider Blue Lagoon as an excursion...perfect for families.

What does it matter how close to the US it is.  Symphony is the real destination, Nassau is just thrown in for fun!  Dont' let anyone steal your mojo...Bon Voyage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Actually, Bahamas itineraries are one of our favorites because it might contain a stop at CoCo Cay (fabulous) or Labadee.

Nassau itself is a great stop but rather expensive if you elect to go to Atlantis, but that is just fab to walk through and see the huge Aquarium itself for free!  Yes, seasoned cruisers have been there done that and we usually stay on board there now...but you are a first timer....lots to see and enjoy.  Consider Blue Lagoon as an excursion...perfect for families.

What does it matter how close to the US it is.  Symphony is the real destination, Nassau is just thrown in for fun!  Dont' let anyone steal your mojo...Bon Voyage.

You have to buy a pass for the aquarium, unless you are there at night.

2 hours ago, ryano said:

I hate Nassau so this would be all about the ship for me.  The good thing is, you are cruising on the latest greatest they have to offer.   I wouldnt even get off the ship myself.    

This is their first cruise so Nassau will be new and exciting for them. You have obviously been there before and formed your opinion but to tell first time cruisers to categorically not get off the ship is rather narrow minded. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You have to buy a pass for the aquarium, unless you are there at night.

Not the part that is in the lobby, you can stroll in there anytime.  We have done........

Around 4:00 in the vid

This is not the aquarium tour, it's just walking into the lobby:

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1