Viking Star - Current Mechanical Issues

caviargal

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We’ve been on a cruise ship when there was active noro the cruise before ours. There was a deep clean before we boarded. We were fine and no outbreaks. So the food handling restrictions were released mid cruise. Yes it was unfortunate but it’s what happens on any cruise line.

I have had noro and it is not fun.  I was quarantined for three days and liquids and meds were delivered to my cabin.  I was sick for weeks after getting home.   Unless you have had this, I don't think you can appreciate how awful it is.  I had very high fever, hallucinations, in addition to the other standard symptoms.  Knowing in advance that there is a current outbreak quite frankly scares me.

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

I have had noro and it is not fun.  I was quarantined for three days and liquids and meds were delivered to my cabin.  I was sick for weeks after getting home.   Unless you have had this, I don't think you can appreciate how awful it is.  I had very high fever, hallucinations, in addition to the other standard symptoms.  Knowing in advance that there is a current outbreak quite frankly scares me.

If you were sick for weeks, had a fever and hallucinations, I don't believe you had noro.  Cryptosporidium has symptoms closer to what you describe.  But, I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caviargal said:

Im no doctor either but would suggest this isn’t simple noro which can be debilitating but not for weeks. 

14 hours ago, caviargal said:

Now there is noro onboard.  Those poor people!

Caviargal----where did you find the info on noro currently being on Viking Star? Was that also on a FB posting?

There is nothing yet on the CDC site. VSP requires they report on gastrointestinal outbreaks affecting 2%+ of pax or crew but I am unclear how quickly that information is posted on the CDC site.

I know they had noro on the December 18-January 3 sailing on the Star.

It was a relatively small outbreak (3% of pax, 1% of crew).

I am interested in more information on the mechanical issues too, as I am on the Star transatlantic which departs February 28.

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Caviargal----where did you find the info on noro currently being on Viking Star? Was that also on a FB posting?

There is nothing yet on the CDC site. VSP requires they report on gastrointestinal outbreaks affecting 2%+ of pax or crew but I am unclear how quickly that information is posted on the CDC site.

I know they had noro on the December 18-January 3 sailing on the Star.

It was a relatively small outbreak (3% of pax, 1% of crew).

I am interested in more information on the mechanical issues too, as I am on the Star transatlantic which departs February 28.

Actually, every cruise ship is required to report to the CDC every cruise with a GI illness report, whether they have had any GI illness or not, 24 hours prior to entering the US.  When the number of cases reaches 2% of passengers or crew, they must file an additional report, at that time.  When the number of cases reaches 3%, they must make a second additional report, and this is the only time an outbreak is reported on the public website.  The CDC website may be updated quickly or it may take a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If you were sick for weeks, had a fever and hallucinations, I don't believe you had noro.  Cryptosporidium has symptoms closer to what you describe.  But, I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

The ship had a massive outbreak.  My physician was the one to follow up once I got home.  I trust him and his diagnosis.  He said my case was severe.

22 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Yes, from those on board now.

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, every cruise ship is required to report to the CDC every cruise with a GI illness report, whether they have had any GI illness or not, 24 hours prior to entering the US.  When the number of cases reaches 2% of passengers or crew, they must file an additional report, at that time.  When the number of cases reaches 3%, they must make a second additional report, and this is the only time an outbreak is reported on the public website.  The CDC website may be updated quickly or it may take a couple of weeks.

Thanks for clarifying this! Great information to have.

Interestingly, Viking Star was one of 17 cruise ships given a perfect 100 score on cleanliness by the CDC.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

Even more interesting---only 6 ships scored 85 or lower which is deemed unsatisfactory. This list of 6 includes Oceania Insignia and Silverseas Silver Wind. You can read the actual reports on the CDC site.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/InspectionResults.aspx

Caviargal--thanks for bringing the mechanical and noro issues to our attention. Please keep us updated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Interestingly, Viking Star was one of 17 cruise ships given a perfect 100 score on cleanliness by the CDC.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

Even more interesting---only 6 ships scored 85 or lower which is deemed unsatisfactory. This list of 6 includes Oceania Insignia and Silverseas Silver Wind. You can read the actual reports on the CDC site.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/InspectionResults.aspx

Caviargal--thanks for bringing the mechanical and noro issues to our attention. Please keep us updated.

Good info.  It only takes one passenger coming back onboard exposed in some port.  If hotels were required to report like cruise ships you would probably never want to stay in one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caviargal said:

By any chance, do you have 'cancel for any reason' insurance?  I'm sure everyone would be much happier if you do.  I'm pretty sure there will not be a refund.  They might offer another cruise but since you seem to be sour on Viking, that I know of, I'm sure that won't be acceptable to you.  The prophecy may have self fulled and this will the worst experience you ever had.  I hope that is not catching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

By any chance, do you have 'cancel for any reason' insurance?  I'm sure everyone would be much happier if you do.  I'm pretty sure there will not be a refund.  They might offer another cruise but since you seem to be sour on Viking, that I know of, I'm sure that won't be acceptable to you.  The prophecy may have self fulled and this will the worst experience you ever had.  I hope that is not catching.

I do not have cancel for any reason or would have already done so, a long time ago.  I would certainly be happier not to have to make this trip and not lose money. 

I have no doubt there will not be a refund, nor an option to move to another sailing.  Even if there are still issues, I have no doubt that the ship will sail and we will only find out once onboard. 

What would be "catching" is noro.  Silly me to be disappointed by what has been a less than stellar experience so far (flight screw ups, excursion NON availability, misinformation constantly) and now to be potentially faced with a ship struggling with mechanical issues,  noro, closed public venues.  

I feel very sorry for those on board now and hope they get home safely and in time to make their flights.

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Good info.  It only takes one passenger coming back onboard exposed in some port.  If hotels were required to report like cruise ships you would probably never want to stay in one.

Agreed! Those videos that show how bedding is cleaned (or rather not cleaned) are scary enough.

There is some discussion on Facebook 'Viking Ocean Cruises Friends'. That is the only FB I found I could view that I didn't have to request to join. VO offering 20% discount on future cruise according to one poster.

Perhaps more discussion on some member-only Viking Friends FB.

30 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

There is some discussion on Facebook 'Viking Ocean Cruises Friends'. That is the only FB I found I could view that I didn't have to request to join. VO offering 20% discount on future cruise according to one poster.

Perhaps more discussion on some member-only Viking Friends FB.

I am on a members only page and there has been quite a bit of discussion for the past 36 hours.  And the ship now appears to have made progress on its way to Miami and the engineer who can fix the engines.

The woman (Kenyatta) posting on Facebook's Viking River & Ocean Cruises Friends has kept everyone there well informed.  She has such a pleasant approach.  She epitomizes the type of unflappable enthusiastic attitude I'd be blessed to encounter on a cruise, especially one fraught with such difficulties.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

The woman (Kenyatta) posting on Facebook's Viking River & Ocean Cruises Friends has kept everyone there well informed.  She has such a pleasant approach.  She epitomizes the type of unflappable enthusiastic attitude I'd be blessed to encounter on a cruise, especially one fraught with such difficulties.

Nicely done, Phil. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, caviargal said:

This was posted earlier but does not change the current situation.  Noro is carrier based, not cleanliness.

I beg your pardon.  I didn't realize that it was posted earlier.  Noro can be carrier based but you can also get infected if you touch an object or surface that has been infected with the virus and then touch your nose, mouth or eyes.  That is why a ship is sterilized when there is an outbreak.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

I beg your pardon.  I didn't realize that it was posted earlier.  Noro can be carrier based but you can also get infected if you touch an object or surface that has been infected with the virus and then touch your nose, mouth or eyes.  That is why a ship is sterilized when there is an outbreak.

I did not mean to come across as snarky - not my intention at all.

I just wanted to point out that a perfect score for cleanliness does no guarantee no noro.  It is people who ultimately spread it.   One would hope that grown ups would take the time to wash their hands well, especially in these situations.

Edited by caviargal