Viking Star - Current Mechanical Issues

caviargal

Sadly we have all seen adults whose hygiene is pretty much appalling. Caviargal and Philw and I are getting the info from the same FB page and we aren’t allowed to post any more details about that as CC will delete. 

The update of 2 hours ago said there were no new noro cases overnight and that the ship will be repaired on time for the next departure. It was a warranty repair. 

Edited by Pushka

16 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

The lady posting on FB has such an outstanding attitude! 

Agree, she’s having a great time. I think if you are doing a bucket list trip and had planned on visiting a particular port, while we know things go wrong, it can be really disappointing. If it’s just a port, then you can blow it off. If you’ve experienced a bad case of noro then of course you will be concerned. And it does change the atmosphere when a ship is under noro alert. Plus you never know when it may strike you, or the person next to you. :classic_sad:

There is no such thing as Cancel for any reason Insurance in Australia plus travel arrangements getting to the northern hemisphere are usually quite intricate and involve more than a cruise in order to maximise the cost of the flights. 

There are two types of posters, Kenyatta (the glass is half full) and caviargal (the glass is half empty).  Sharing info is one thing and appreciated but being negative without having anything to stand on, not!  Caviargal, I’m afraid you’re so tainted with your booking experience with Viking that nothing is going to make you enjoy, I hope I’m wrong and your travels are amazing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, caviargal said:

I take that with a grain of salt.  GPS does not lie.  VO has provided misinformation to me so many times so far that I trust nothing they say.  I will leave it at that.

She needs to get back first, then the repairs need to work (not the first issues on this ship), then the noro issue needs to be contained.

Sorry, but I have extensive experience where GPS does lie. There is a very good reason we teach young officers that GPS is only a tool and that it must be verified with other position fixing systems, and looking out the windows. Still remember the day I went to work and while alongside, the GPS had us on a sandbank well over a mile away. So yes, GPS does lie.

This information is provided by an AIS, which is located on the Bridge and can be turned off. Therefore, when viewing vessel tracking website it is critical to notate how old the data is.

She is currently South of Key West, steering ENE'ly courses. Most AIS tracking websites have her speed at 10.4 kts, while cruise mapper indicate 12 kts. Most sites report position data from 2 hours ago.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, but I have extensive experience where GPS does lie. There is a very good reason we teach young officers that GPS is only a tool and that it must be verified with other position fixing systems, and looking out the windows. Still remember the day I went to work and while alongside, the GPS had us on a sandbank well over a mile away. So yes, GPS does lie.

This information is provided by an AIS, which is located on the Bridge and can be turned off. Therefore, when viewing vessel tracking website it is critical to notate how old the data is.

She is currently South of Key West, steering ENE'ly courses. Most AIS tracking websites have her speed at 10.4 kts, while cruise mapper indicate 12 kts. Most sites report position data from 2 hours ago.

Heidi13, we too have had some really weird GPS directions 😃, in Germany we ended up on a dirt rut-not a driveable road by any stretch of the imagination, we always refer to GPS oddities as brain bubbles.

Hopefully all of the Viking issues will be taken care of and the next cruises continue without a hitch.

4 hours ago, caskale said:

We board the Star later today,will see what the situation is. At least she made to Miami on time

Safe travels and have a wonderful time!  I hope all is resolved and only smooth sailing for this one & all future cruises.

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

That's good news casual, thanks for the report. Any word on what the mechanical issue was or was there actually a problem?

No mention of that so far.The spa and gym are open as usual,in the World cafebthey serve the food.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Yes--I am glad all is well! And they changed the webcam views so we can watch it turn around!

Looking forward to my TA on 2/28.

Hello 

We are on the TA 2/28 with you so I have been following this discussion and joining the Facebook group. Looking forward to the cruise and hope NORO  gone and ship all repaired.

12 minutes ago, mittenscat23 said:

Hello 

We are on the TA 2/28 with you so I have been following this discussion and joining the Facebook group. Looking forward to the cruise and hope NORO  gone and ship all repaired.

I'm sure the repair is handled and I feel confident that the crew will sanitize. I do remember seeing people not washing/sanitizing on their way into the World Cafe on last years TA in March. At the beginning of the cruise there were VO employees enforcing handwashing but as the cruise progressed there was not an employee making sure people washed/sanitized their hands. So unfortunately, there are folks who don't follow protocol.

• Like 1

The staff are asking us to wash our as we enter dining rooms,they are not keeping salt and pepper shakers on the table . Even when we checked in for the cruise they would wipe down between passengers. I feel they are as much ch as the can to keep the Star clean.

14 hours ago, broker1217 said:

........ I do remember seeing people not washing/sanitizing on their way into the World Cafe on last years TA in March. At the beginning of the cruise there were VO employees enforcing handwashing but as the cruise progressed there was not an employee making sure people washed/sanitized their hands. So unfortunately, there are folks who don't follow protocol.

On our recent Viking Sea cruise (West Indies) embarkation was delayed due to passenger sickness on the prior cruise.

A letter explaining the situation was given out as passengers arrived in the terminal, and there were announcements, but many passengers walked right past the sanitisers as they boarded the ship.

For the first 7 days, a crew member politely asked everyone to wash their hands as they entered the World Cafe, but this was bypassed by many if the crew member was replenishing towels. There were no such requests at the pool grill and I didn't see anyone sanitise or wash their hands.

I was amazed (disappointed) to see passengers sneeze into their hands in the World Cafe and then pick up serving tools; in the last few days I heard one passenger walk past those who were washing their hands and say in an arrogant tone  'we aren't still doing this are we?'; and people picked up fruit and plates and then put them back. It is no wonder that sickness spreads on a ship.

Is it the age of the passengers? ignorance? or just plain refusal to comply? 

Whatever it is, I always used a tissue when picking up serving tongs.

• Like 1

For a long while, Celebrity made a point of serving items to guests in the buffet on the first day of a cruise.  Maybe even into the second day.  No guests touched serving pieces.

I like the idea of being handed a warm, moist, sanitized towel before meals.  It's a very nice touch

5 minutes ago, Casual Cruising said:

Hi,

We are booked to go on this cruise 2/21. Should we be worried about Noro and mechanical problems?  Some guy said he was going to cancel? Seems like the mechanical/noro happened last week?  Does anyone know if the 2/14 cruise left ok?

The thread here indicated everything was fine now.