Those pesky 18-20 year olds

mmcgann11

In June, we're taking our 18-year-old twins on a cruise (Liberty of the Seas)  to celebrate their graduation from high school (it's also a great way to keep them from going to Maryland shore with friends and getting in trouble, as seems to be a tradition at our local high school). My question is this: previously, as teens and tweens, they had a ton of stuff to do on ship (this is their fifth cruise, i think — and they really enjoy them), but now they fall into the too old for teen activities, too young for adult (read alcohol, etc.) activities. If they could meet up with like-aged cruisers, I'm pretty sure they could find enough fun to keep them happy, but there doesn't seem to be a formal way on RCI (or other cruise lines for that matter) to facilitate such a meetup. Am I missing something?

rci does provide non supervised meet ups for 18-20 year olds every evening in a location on the ship.

they can also attend all the adult venues and activities, the only thing they cannot do is drink alcohol-which is a great lesson to learn-that adults can have fun and a great time, without drinking alcohol

my just 20 year old has been cruising with us for 15 years..he has experienced the 18, 19 and 20 year old ship experience and had a great time on each one.   

• Like 1

Usually there is a listed meet up time for the young adults to meet at the club, especially on the first couple of nights.  Occsionally there is even a staff member to facilitate making connections on the first night (but I have only seen that once).

Otherwise, young adults seem to manage to find one another anyway and make friends (and while the kids are not old enough to be served alcohol, they are allowed in the clubs, so really there is nothing other than actually drinking that other adults can do which they are barred from---plenty of over 21s have fun without drinking too).

My kids are 22 and 20 and have both enjoyed several cruises since turning 18.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

I'm glad to hear I missed out on noticing the meetups for 18-20 on previous cruises — more than likely it wasn't something I was focused on. And yes, of course, they can do all of the non-alcohol adult stuff, but undoubtedly they would rather not hang out with mom and dad, but rather with people their own age. I'll let them know to keep an eye out for the meetups on the first couple of days. When we were on Grandeur for the 17-18 Christmas/New Years cruise, they ended up hanging out with an entire pack of 15-17 year olds and had a lot of fun....just wanted to see if they'd have a similar opportunity on LOS as 18 year olds. But thanks for the rapid replies.

33 minutes ago, mmcgann11 said:

If they could meet up with like-aged cruisers, I'm pretty sure they could find enough fun to keep them happy, 

I totally get the desire of not having them go to Maryland shore.  In most cases it's just asking for trouble, just like spring break in Florida.  Fun?  Probably, but there are a lot of risks involved.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, and this isn't directed at the OP, but if 18-20's can't find enough to do on a RCI cruise ship, or regardless of age, then I'm not sure what to tell ya.  It's no different when they are 21, unless we are going to say that alcohol will somehow solve all these issues.  :)  There are no arranged meet and greets for 21+.  They can still be in all of the venues, bars, and meet people.  They are technically adults.

Hopefully they will find others in their age group, or can organize a get together themselves if they feel it's needed.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

It's no different when they are 21, unless we are going to say that alcohol will somehow solve all these issues.  🙂

Alcohol absolutely solves these issues.  Almost 100% of the people I have become cruise friends with I have met at the bar. 

6&8 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

Alcohol absolutely solves these issues.  Almost 100% of the people I have become cruise friends with I have met at the bar. 

6&8 

So, they can sit in any bar and have a virgin drink. Is anyone going to check their pina colada to see if it contains rum before speaking to them? Seriously? Believe it or not, there are people who are over 21 who do not drink alcohol. 

10 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

6&8 

Alcohol solves a lot of issues until you get off the ship!

• Haha 1

My original point, i think, was that younger people socialize somewhat differently now than maybe in the past, tending more to do so in groups. And yes, while many of us old folks enjoy libations as a social lubricant (insert your own joke here), we tend to end up in smaller groups, maybe hanging out with another couple over a drink or in the Adult pool — more typical of our (my wife and I) experiences over the years. Additionally, I kind of feel like those over 21 are somewhat less likely to be traveling with mom and dad and may be there with a SO, friends or something like that and have a pre-made social group. As this cruise is a gift, I wanted to make sure they could have a cruise experience like those they have enjoyed in the past, and I feel less concerned about that, now.

5 minutes ago, gerif said:

So, they can sit in any bar and have a virgin drink. Is anyone going to check their pina colada to see if it contains rum before speaking to them? Seriously? Believe it or not, there are people who are over 21 who do not drink alcohol. 

Clearly not a bar person....Thats ok.  

6&8

43 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

6&8 

Sorry to disagree!  Many people sit at the bar, engage in conversation, sing in the Schooner bar, etc. and do not drink. No way you can tell what anyone is drinking - virgin frozen drinks, 7-up could be vodka/gin and tonic.  Don’t assume everyone is drinking alcohol.  Before you ask - I usually have a glass of wine, but will add 7-up; especially before dinner!

Last summer I was a part of a group celebrating high school graduation with 8 recent grads. They were their own group, but every time we saw our group of grads they had new friends with them. The 16 yo and 2 friends did the same thing. They had each other, but they had added to their tribe every time we saw them.  Both groups had tons of fun. The adults did too! Hope your twins have a great spring and enjoy making many memories between now and graduation! 

• Thanks 1

I think the main problem isn’t that there isn’t any activities geared specifically toward that age group, but that most in that age group tend to bring a friend with them so they have someone to hang with. If they are the only one without a friend, then it is harder to become part of someone else’s group. At least they will have each other to hang with. 

My kids, now 22 and 27, still cruise with us on occasion. On our last cruise they brought board games with them and hung out playing them in a bar. It attracted lots of interest from other young adults and was one way they were able to meet others. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rncruiser said:

I think the main problem isn’t that there isn’t any activities geared specifically toward that age group, but that most in that age group tend to bring a friend with them so they have someone to hang with. If they are the only one without a friend, then it is harder to become part of someone else’s group. At least they will have each other to hang with. 

My kids, now 22 and 27, still cruise with us on occasion. On our last cruise they brought board games with them and hung out playing them in a bar. It attracted lots of interest from other young adults and was one way they were able to meet others. 

What kind of activities would you suggest?  

It has been pointed out that they can do anything anyone else can do except drink alcohol!  There is so much going on that anyone should be able to find something to do.  There are no activities geared towards solo travelers, divorced people, new parents, senior citizens, etc.  Young adults are no different than any other age group - if anything they have the advantage of being able to participate in many of the more physical activities on board!

Our 19 year old is the opposite and would rather hang with mom and dad but she was an only child for 13 years and went everywhere with us.  Last cruise she did take a friend but they both hung with us a lot.  There were singles get togethers but they did not attend.  They probably will find others around the pool and near the coffee shops.