Joebucks

Freeport going "Half Moon Cay Plus"

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-confirms-newest-private-bahamas-destination/

If you like Half Moon Cay, you’re going to love the latest private destination currently being developed by Carnival Cruise Line. In confirming details about the  being developed, Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald dubbed it “Half Moon Cay-plus.”

What We Know

IMG_1127.jpg

During one of the question-and-answer sessions being hosted by Heald aboard his latest FFS Cruise, he confirmed that Carnival is developing their new destination “about 20 miles to the east of Freeport.”

READ MORE: 15 Tips For Enjoying Half Moon Cay

Perhaps aware of the fact that Nassau has recently raised concerns about the fact that cruise line-owned private destinations are impacting the island nation’s coffers, Heald quickly said, “Now, there’s nothing like Freeport, obviously, but it is going to be a beautiful with docking facilities, no tenders, just for Carnival.”

To the cheers of an appreciative audience, he added, “It’s basically Half Moon Cay-plus. It is going to be stunning.” Details on a completion date were unavailable, but he promised they would be forthcoming.

Why Private Destinations Are Popular

DJI_0048-1030x773.jpg

Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald dubbed the new destination a “Half Moon Cay-plus.”

In discussing with the crowd the popularity of Half Moon Cay, Heald said, “Because once you get off the tender and just walk a little bit to the right, it really is a slice of paradise. And for a lot of people, it’s a very special place. And that’s what we’re basing our new private island on.”

READ MORE: New Private Island Offers Something Different

Private destinations are incredibly popular with cruisers, with new ones being developed and existing ones getting upgrades on a regular basis. Royal Caribbean is currently making a substantial investment in the development of CocoCay, while Norwegian is also giving Great Stirrup Cay a makeover. Meanwhile, MSC is currently developing Ocean Cay and rumors have circulated for months that Disney — owners of popular Castaway Cay — will be building a second destination somewhere in the Caribbean.

I think this is fantastic news. Obviously, Freeport catches a lot of criticism, and this is a great way to keep the port relevant. I also very much appreciate being on a cruise where I can enjoy a nice day at a beach without having to buy food or a taxi. Plus, you should still be able to do other excursions there if you please.

Well ,they have got to create places to port for all those ships their building.  Another Margaretville at your service .:classic_blink:

Add it to the list of Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay.  Ultra sanitized ports all pretty much the same.  A bit of beach (except Amber Cove), a pool, perhaps a Margarittaville or equivalent.  All to keep the profits in Carnival's pockets and keep cruisers separated from the realities of the life of the people on these Islands.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed myself at Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany bay and HMC, I just bemoan the trend to make every port the same.  It is a microcosm of what the USA has become.  Travel to the suburbs of any city in the US and rather than the unique stores, businesses and restaurants that used to exist you will find the same damned Old Navy, Home Goods, $5 and Below, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Applebees, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, PF Changs, etc.

To make cruisers feel "safe" and to maximize profits we get a too familiar sanitized version of the Bahamas and Caribbean.

32 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

Add it to the list of Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay.  Ultra sanitized ports all pretty much the same.  A bit of beach (except Amber Cove), a pool, perhaps a Margarittaville or equivalent.  All to keep the profits in Carnival's pockets and keep cruisers separated from the realities of the life of the people on these Islands.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed myself at Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany bay and HMC, I just bemoan the trend to make every port the same.  It is a microcosm of what the USA has become.  Travel to the suburbs of any city in the US and rather than the unique stores, businesses and restaurants that used to exist you will find the same damned Old Navy, Home Goods, $5 and Below, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Applebees, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, PF Changs, etc.

To make cruisers feel "safe" and to maximize profits we get a too familiar sanitized version of the Bahamas and Caribbean.

While you have a point, it's also that they are just following what it seems a lot of cruisers want. Just look around on these boards and see how people say that they love going to HMC, CocoCay, Princess cay, etc but say how they avoid itineraries that stop in Freeport, Nassau, Jamaica etc or just stay on the ship at those ports.   

I don't really get the comparison to Half Moon Cay.. This is not a private island as HMC is... This is a new dock area being

built on the grand Bahama island... This is like Grant Turk and Amber cove, not like private islands like HMC or Princess Cay.

I agree that it is to make cruisers feel "safe" and maximize profits.  I still love adventure and discovering beautiful beaches but some times on a cruise it is nice to just to walk off the ship and be on the sand.

57 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

You make a good point. I am tired of seeing the same businesses. We've had some great experiences venturing out into the port. Some, not so much. We had to spend close to $200 in Montego Bay last week to find a nice beach, food, and drink. That is a reality I wouldn't mind being separated from.

I think if you ask the "average cruiser," especially the families, they would pick Cococay over some of the other islands. How many complaints do we read about Freeport? What else is Carnival to do? 

I love Grand Turk, but I do prefer going to non-cruiseline owned ports and getting out of the port area and seeing the locals and their towns. I despise seeing itineraries that have 2 or 3 “Carnival” stops. 

2 hours ago, bigdog1958 said:

I don't really get the comparison to Half Moon Cay.. This is not a private island as HMC is... This is a new dock area being

built on the grand Bahama island... This is like Grant Turk and Amber cove, not like private islands like HMC or Princess Cay.

I can guarantee the locals will swarm the area trying to sell you products like they do around Port Lucaya  beach area. Coral earrings , necklaces a hair braid etc. I can also see the pay 39.99 for umbrellas and beach chair signs now !

3 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

This promises to be a Carnival Jurassic Park, bit of a difference 😉

People often bash Freeport, but IMO, it has a truly unique and beautiful park that often is missed. It's called Lucayan National Park. The beach there is Gold Rock Beach. It (might be?) tricky to get there and back from the port since there are really no services or facilities. I didn't know about it until one year, I did a kayaking excursion. It was amazing! You have to kayak your way through the mangroves, and after about an hour, you reach this amazing beach. It was so EPIC! Point is, I agree with other posts: You can experience so much more if you just venture out a bit. That said, some people have mobility issues or just like to walk off the ship and on to a beach. Nothing wrong with that, either. For me, it's nice to finds ways to escape the crowds on port days.

19 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

Travel to the suburbs of any city in the US and rather than the unique stores, businesses and restaurants that used to exist you will find the same damned Old Navy, Home Goods, $5 and Below, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Applebees, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, PF Changs, etc.

You forgot Starbucks.

While I generally hate these "sanitized" port experiences, IMO Freeport is the most POS port in Carnival's itineraries. The port area is boring with the same chain places as every other port, there's not much else to do without taking an excursion, and even the excursions aren't great compared to other ports. At least with this new thing you can get off the ship and chill at a nice beach.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, K&RCurt said:

Well, if it is what the typical cruiser wants, Carnival would be making a mistake not taking the opportunity.  It isn't Carnival's job to educate their guests.  It is Carnival's job to be as profitable as possible.

There's a reason all those chain stores and restaurants exist in all the suburban "outdoor malls" - because people shop and eat there.

I like all the oddball places that I try to hunt down when going to a new town, and I like doing off-the-beaten path stuff at new destinations.  But if everyone did that...those places would turn into the homogeneous mass instead - forty different places all exactly like Jack's Shack because everyone stopped going to Margaritaville at Grand Turk.  And we'd be lamenting the sea of faux-junk shacks and the lack of a nice classy place by a clean pool with swim-up bar...

We can philosophize all day about whether that is a good thing or not, but I don't expect Carnival (or RCI or Norwegian or even Disney) to be a "leader" in de-homogenization of "what the people want".

On 2/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, K&RCurt said:

Cruising is a nice "lazy" vacation for me and I enjoy feeling safe. Yes, I know. There is poverty on the islands, there are less fortunate people, there is crime, etc. The island nations still make money off of the ships being there and while it may not help specific individuals, it helps the economy overall. The cruise lines aren't trying to hide anything. 

If you'd rather see how things are for the locals, you're still free to leave the port area (not private islands obviously) and you can fly there for vacation. But for me, chillin at the beach and then going back to the ship to eat and rest is a perfect, relaxing day.

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

You forgot Starbucks.

Meh. I just got back from Asia and there were Starbucks and McDonalds all over the place. It is not limited to US suburbs.

4 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Meh. I just got back from Asia and there were Starbucks and McDonalds all over the place. It is not limited to US suburbs.

Nope, not at all, it's almost everywhere now. Grand Cayman reminded me more of Florida than it did an Island in the Caribbean, we passed by at least 4 American fast food restaurants on our tour.  

I for one am thrilled about the new port.  We always avoid cruises that include Freeport.  We like "sanitized" beaches.

I would think that Nassau's days are numbered as a port of call in light of this.

I was all but certain Freeport would be on the chopping block before Nassau, but now with this new build out they've thrown me for a loop.

Nassau will never die as long as Atlantis is functioning at anything close to what it is now. There’s also too many ships sailing from American home ports for demand to genuinely soften.

I agree this is a huge boost to Grand Bahama - Carnival could theoretically put a ship at the new facility every day between Carnival Cruise Line, Princess, and Holland America. Freeport proper can concentrate on other cruise lines and/or ferry service.

8 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I for one am thrilled about the new port.  We always avoid cruises that include Freeport.  We like "sanitized" beaches.

BB you have me confused ?   This new port is in Freeport.:classic_wacko:

7 hours ago, BoDidly said:

20 miles east of Freeport and a totally different facility but it doesn't say anything about 'sanitized' beaches. :classic_rolleyes:

9 hours ago, tidecat said:

Nassau will never die as long as Atlantis is functioning at anything close to what it is now. There’s also too many ships sailing from American home ports for demand to genuinely soften.

Also, because Nassau is one of the few ports that can accommodate a half dozen ships at a time and can berth the largest ships afloat.

9 hours ago, BoDidly said:

This is so close to Freeport, I'm assuming it would take its place.  But I've been wrong before, once or twice. 🙄