passports for minors

christa

Im doing a Mexican Riviera Trip in March. . . .my childrens first Cruise (6 & 10).  I obtained passports for them.  I wanted to be sure that if something happened, (God forbid) while in Mexico (On land) or on the Cruise.  We could travel or be air lifted if needed.

IMOHO, it is something good to have while not on US soil.

We cruised with our 3 kids in 2017.  We had passports for dh, myself, and dd who was 16, she was going on a missions trip to Mexico the same year so we knew she needed one no matter what.  For the boys being 11 and 13, we didn't feel it was needed.  We never needed them and didn't regret not having them for them.  Our next cruise is in 2021 and my older son will be 17 so we will be getting him one.  The younger will be turning 15 shortly after our cruise and as of now we do not plan to get him one.  If he will be needing one for a missions trip that year, we will obviously get him one, but being that he will be a year away from a 10 year passport, I do not want to get him one that will only be good for 5 years.

We have never cruised without passports for everyone in the family.  The peace of mind is worth it.  Plus, I am of Hispanic descent.  My children tan very nicely.  We don't need any problems getting back in the U.S.  (And, no, this is not intended to be a political rant, just a comment about reality.)

• Like 1