Anyone use the Sequal Eclipse POC?

darstamp

My oxygen provider is telling me that I should rent the Sequal Eclipse for my upcoming cruise.  It is airline accepted so that isn't the problem.  The problem is that it weighs 18 lbs and I think it would be a problem to drag around on excursions although it does have a handle and rolls like a carry-on.  They are telling me that the smaller machines, like the Simply-go Mini won't give me enough battery life at pulse 5.  

Have you discussed your needs with your pulmonologist?   Can you tolerate a pulse unit vs constant?    The Sequal is a constant LPM, vs the smaller lightweight units such as Inogen or Simply Go are pulse only.    The problem with renting a unit is that the batteries are very expensive to rent, and if you are using 5 LPM on constant,  you would probably exceed battery life on an extended battery in 4 hours on pulse, and carrying extra batteries is cumbersome.  I would discuss with your pulmonologist first before  traveling with any unit as LPM 5 is high for a travel unit, and if you find you are exerting, very few go up to LPM 6 for oxygen assistance.  DH uses LPM 3-5 during travel, and we own both Inogen 2 and Inogen 3 units, with 2/extended life batteries for each.   Try out units PRIOR to travel, you do not want to get on a ship and find out unit is noisy, doesn’t work for you etc.......

Thanks for your response.  I am running into all kinds of resistance to using something like the Inogen or Simply Go Mini because of my high pulse rate and the vendors keep trying to push the Sequal on me but it is so big.  I can buy oxygen from the airline for the flight but I need something portable for the cruise.  I am having a respirology technical come in and re-test me to make sure I still need the plus 5.  I'm almost ready to cancel my trip.

a respiratory therapist may advise on the Sequal because you medically need the LPM’s to breathe,   and the Sequal delivers the LPM’s necessary.   I would not cancel simply because of the Sequal.   You are still mobile, and breathing.   Do not sacrifice breathing ability just for the portability.   DH thanks goodness each time we travel (regardless of unit needed and possibly scooter needed eventually),  because he can still enjoy traveling AT ALL!   Also, ask them if a scooter may be beneficial, for mobility.   LPM 5 is still manageable for travel, but realize, the units have limitations.   Good luck to you, and again, think positive about being able to travel at all!!!   Years ago, travel for oxygen patients was next to impossible.