New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

Trenitalia is finally addressing the overcrowding on the commuter line between Civitavecchia and Rome.  On April 1st a new service will start directed at cruise passengers, it will run April 1 through December 14th.

There will be two trains each morning and two returns in the afternoon.  As will not make any stops between Civitavecchia and Rome the trip will be about 10 - 15 minutes faster than the regional train.  Other key points:

•  Seating is guaranteed, there are 720 seats on the train and only 720 tickets will be sold
  •  There will be two stops in Rome, San Pietro (for those heading to the Vatican) and Ostiense (connecting to metro for those heading to downtown Rome)
  •  A one way ticket costs 10 euro, round trip is 15 euro
  •  Children 4 and under travel free (but do not get a seat), children up to 12 accompanied by an adult travel free and do get a seat (one child per adult)
  •  There will be self serve kiosks in the Civitavecchia station to purchase tickets

So far there is nothing mentioned about buying these tickets on line ahead of travel, we'll have to watch for that.

The newspaper article, in Italian, can be found here:  https://roma.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/19_febbraio_12/roma-nasce-civitavecchia-express-che-collega-porto-capitale-aa07d474-2edc-11e9-9800-d9788a74058f.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 7

Thank you so much euro for this info. Since the Civi-Rome train journey is one of, if not the most frequently asked questions here, I’ve pinned the thread with the hope it’ll help everyone cruising and venturing into Rome for the day...or longer, perhaps with plans to stay longer and fly home from FCO. 😎

Let’s see how the this pinning works because I stopped trying to merge the Civi train threads (only ones that were virtually identical) awhile ago! 😜

The merge was only ever to help save everyone time and to help ensure other topics were seen and not missed. The civi train threads matter but so does an atypical topic like we recently had for a deeper dive into Ancient Rome along with really important things (always!) like finding good gelato. 😍 

Has everyone noticed the new function on posts enabling you to add a “thanks” or “Ha Ha” on posts? Tap/click the heart on the lower right hand corner of a post you’d like to select one of these feedback options. We *already* have an exceptionally kind and generous community here that is always expressive with words but you have an option now if you’re short on time to leave a quick shoutout if you’re so inclined. I’m noticing more and more shouts being given out. 

Hope wherever everyone is, you’re safe and warm...or comfy cool in the other hemisphere. 😊

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2019 at 5:11 PM, euro cruiser said:

It will be interesting to see if the number of views changes (or not) with the thread pinned up here.  I know that I tend to scroll down to active threads without looking at what's on top, but I may be anomaly.

It will be interesting euro, I hope it will catch on and I agree...too many things on top to take notice of so <<maybe>> I’ll encourage people to check out the thread. Perhaps it’ll even jiggle the algorithm although not sure that’ll really affect anything....we’re early stages with our new boards and of course they’re very much intended to function as they always have. But...you never know.

As far as scrolling through topics, I hope you will! I expect most people won’t see it but power users like you can help share the news and avoid having to retype the same info repeatedly and instead link to the thread where hopefully there’ll be lots of helpful info on the Civi to Rome train trip. Folks will still always post separately and that’s always cool. But for the cruiser that might not have that much time to write a post or await replies, there’s on the spot info ready and waiting. 

You and all our fabulous members that keep helping year in, year out....I figured we could collect some of your awesomeness here while you carry on in individual threads as you do. 

To be continued....(and thanks again for the terrific share!) 

Edited by Host Bonjour
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic idea posting this as a "sticky" since using the trains are such a popular topic.  The article raised a few questions which hopefully we will soon have the answers :).  1.  Will there be anyway to get a BIRG ticket that includes these trains.  2. What are the actual train times and 3.  Will a ticket for these new express trains also be honored on the regular regional trains (in case one missed the express or wants to return at a different time).

The extra seats on the route should really help those of us who have been stuck standing (for at least part of the journey) on the morning regional trains into Rome.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the information. 

We are currently mapping out travel for this fall.

If all goes as planned we will be sailing on 2 ships out of Civi with a day off in between..

In your opinion, how should we spend this day..

Get a hotel at the port, drop our bags and ride the train into Rome for a day of exploring..

How late does the train return to the port

Get a hotel in Rome,

or just stay in the port area ??  

Thank you 

Colleen

So if I understood you correctly, these new trains depart from Civi in the morning, and depart from Rome in the Afternoon. If correct, it is great news for cruisers visiting Rome. However, it doesn't help those whose embarkation point is Civi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No, the new train is not intended to help cruisers heading to Civitavecchia for morning/early afternoon embarkation.  The purpose is to alleviate the burden being placed on local commuter trains which is mostly caused by port day visits, which has been a local political issue for years.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 12:03 AM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Thanks for the info.read the link provided, am I correct that it says near the bottom tickets are only available at the station. (Not available  on line?). I find this interesting but would hate to find seats sold out.

My concern ,too, would be committing to using train and then sold out. Some of these ships have 5000 passengers and often more than one ship in port. However I suppose you could just get a regular train if all sold out 

18 hours ago, latin princess said:

My concern ,too, would be committing to using train and then sold out. Some of these ships have 5000 passengers and often more than one ship in port. However I suppose you could just get a regular train if all sold out 

It's an important point that whenever, and wherever, you plan on using public transit you should have a "plan B" in your back pocket should anything go wrong.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how/if they will be checking if passengers are indeed cruisers, since there are a limited number of seats.  

Thankfully it looks like the regular Civitavecchia-Rome trains run every 20-30 minutes, correct? Non-stop a little less often?  We will have a day in  Civitavecchia between cruises on the Nieuw Statendam and the Koningsdam and plan to get to Rome one way or another.  🙂  

They don't really care that passengers on the new train are cruise people, it's just intended for them.  The point is to lessen the load on the regional trains, which are supported by taxpayer money and intended for resident who need to get back and forth for work.

Residents won't be interested in these trains because of the cost - the premium vs. the regional train is nothing to a tourist there for one day but it's not tenable as a daily commute fee.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

They don't really care that passengers on the new train are cruise people, it's just intended for them.  The point is to lessen the load on the regional trains, which are supported by taxpayer money and intended for resident who need to get back and forth for work.

Residents won't be interested in these trains because of the cost - the premium vs. the regional train is nothing to a tourist there for one day but it's not tenable as a daily commute fee.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.  

• Like 3

If we are all talking about the same train (which I believe we are), I was able to purchase tickets on-line. I went to lefrecce.it. On the page where you enter the To, From, Date, Time, etc., select Freece as the option instead of Main Solutions or regional train. You will see 2 AM trains leaving from Civi to Termini and 2 PM trains from Termini to Civi. 

My question is whether or not these tickets need to be verified at the train terminal in order to avoid the steep fine. 

No, that's not the same train.  You purchased tickets for a Frecce train, not for the cruise train.  The new cruise train does not go to Termini, just S. Pietro and Ostiense.

There's no need to validate Frecce tickets because they are seat specific reservations.  You must have either the physical print out of the ticket for the conductor to scan or have it on your phone.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have today checked the Trenitalia site and have found that the new "Civitavecchia Express" tickets can indeed be purchased in advance, despite the previous announcement that they had no plans to allow.

I chose a random date of 14th April, a Sunday, and the 08:30 departure is available to purchase along with the 10:15, and the two scheduled return journeys.

This will make things a lot simpler for anyone planning to use the service and remove any risk of arriving at the station to find that the train is sold out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3