New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, the Civitavecchia Express is a seasonal service.

You shouldn't have a problem making the train, it leaves pretty late.  You may wind up cooling your heels waiting for it, depending on the time of your ship arrival.

Which station to use in Rome depends on what you're going to see.  For the Vatican area, the first stop (San Pietro) is best.  For the Colosseum and Roman Forum area the second stop (Ostiense) is better.

Yes, the Civitavecchia Express is a seasonal service.

You shouldn't have a problem making the train, it leaves pretty late.  You may wind up cooling your heels waiting for it, depending on the time of your ship arrival.

Which station to use in Rome depends on what you're going to see.  For the Vatican area, the first stop (San Pietro) is best.  For the Colosseum and Roman Forum area the second stop (Ostiense) is better.

Thanks  Euro cruiser. That's great.

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a port visit to Rome on the 16th July and are looking to travel to Rome. The cheapest and quickest option seems to be the Express Train for 3 adults. So seeing as how there are 6 ships in port this day and the 2 trains will hold less than 1500 people I thought I'd get the tickets booked sooner rather than later.

I've gone on the Trenitalia website and selected the 9.35 express and the 15.53 return from S. Pietro. However it's giving two prices. One fare is described as 30euro Ordinaria and the other one is 22.50 Civitavecchia Express A/r. I'm assuming the Ordinaria one is the standard 10euro single ticket and the other one is the reduced return ticket. Has anyone booked the train online and can confirm this. I don't want to end up at the station with the wrong ticket.

Also for an extra 2euro each we can get a bus to Civitavecchia station. Do these leave from the Largo Della Pace?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the cruise calendar for Civitavecchia is only updated through May 2020 so far but you can keep checking it:  https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/cruise-calendar/

If you dock at 8 AM I cannot imagine how you would not be able to make the 9:35 train.  It's only one mile from the port to the train station so even if it takes a while to get off your ship and get on the bus, it doesn't make sense that it would take more than 90 minutes.

Given the limited number of tickets for the express train, if it's important to you to use this specific train I would buy the tickets in advance.  For a longer port day you can simply use the regional trains and buy the BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogini06 said:

Wondering if these trains will be running in June 2022.  Any news?

Yes, they start again on April 1st but the only morning run isn't until 10:20 so it's only good for those ending a cruise, it's much too late for a day trip to Rome.

The fare is 10 euro one way, or 15 euro round trip.

TARIFFA N (trenitalia.com)

I thought they offer two morning trains and two afternoon trains?

3 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, they start again on April 1st but the only morning run isn't until 10:20 so it's only good for those ending a cruise, it's much too late for a day trip to Rome.

22 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I can't figure out a way to book this on the Trenitalia site.   The Civitavecchia Express links say you can book the tickets online, but I sure can't figure out how.   Or do you just buy them at the station?

• Like 1

You're trying to do it too far in advance.  There is a schedule change in June, if you want to purchase in advance wait until a week or two before your trip and do it then.  By then they may have added a second morning train as well.

You might also consider a Frecce train, the cost is the same one way and that may give you more flexibility.

You're trying to do it too far in advance.  There is a schedule change in June, if you want to purchase in advance wait until a week or two before your trip and do it then.  By then they may have added a second morning train as well.

You might also consider a Frecce train, the cost is the same one way and that may give you more flexibility.

I am looking to take it in late April, but still maybe too early.  Thanks.

There is a Civitavecchia Express train running from April 1 - June 11 at 9:35 (train #12527) but it doesn't run on Sundays or holidays, perhaps that's the problem?

Instead, on Sundays and holidays from April 3 - June 11 there is a Civitavecchia express train (#12519) at 8:30.

Trenitalia makes all of the schedule information available by station, it's a little confusing (especially if you don't read Italian) but here it is for those who are interested:  Quadri orario on line (rfi.it)

Edited by euro cruiser

On 3/2/2022 at 11:57 AM, euro cruiser said:

There is a Civitavecchia Express train running from April 1 - June 11 at 9:35 (train #12527) but it doesn't run on Sundays or holidays, perhaps that's the problem?

Instead, on Sundays and holidays from April 3 - June 11 there is a Civitavecchia express train (#12519) at 8:30.

Trenitalia makes all of the schedule information available by station, it's a little confusing (especially if you don't read Italian) but here it is for those who are interested:  Quadri orario on line (rfi.it)

Even with Google translate I was unable to find any departures for Civitavecchia 

The only web site you should be using is the Trenitalia one.  They have an English language page but not everything is translated, and google just messes things up.

EN - Trenitalia

Use the link above and scroll down until you see "main solutions, from-to" etc.

Even though this is the English page you must still enter the names of the stations in Italian, so your from would be Civitavecchia.

In the to box enter the station in Rome you are headed to, such as Roma S. Pietro or Roma Ostiense.

Pick the date you want and the time and hit "search".

If you'll give us the exact date you're looking for and the station you want to get to I'll look it up and publish the results, if you're still having trouble.

16 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

The only web site you should be using is the Trenitalia one.  They have an English language page but not everything is translated, and google just messes things up.

EN - Trenitalia

Use the link above and scroll down until you see "main solutions, from-to" etc.

Even though this is the English page you must still enter the names of the stations in Italian, so your from would be Civitavecchia.

In the to box enter the station in Rome you are headed to, such as Roma S. Pietro or Roma Ostiense.

Pick the date you want and the time and hit "search".

If you'll give us the exact date you're looking for and the station you want to get to I'll look it up and publish the results, if you're still having trouble.

I'm looking for June 1st 2022.  Would like to use this train RT.  Thanks for your help

If this is a day trip you will be giving up a lot of time in Rome by using the Civitavecchia express train.

The morning one on June 1 2022 departs Civitavecchia at 10:20 (#12533) and arrives to Rome S. Pietro station at 11:03.

The return Civitavecchia express train departs Rome S. Pietro at 15:53 (#12528) and arrives to Civitavecchia at 16:30.

You didn't say if Roma S. Pietro was the station you wanted, where are you headed to in Rome?

19 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

If this is a day trip you will be giving up a lot of time in Rome by using the Civitavecchia express train.

The morning one on June 1 2022 departs Civitavecchia at 10:20 (#12533) and arrives to Rome S. Pietro station at 11:03.

The return Civitavecchia express train departs Rome S. Pietro at 15:53 (#12528) and arrives to Civitavecchia at 16:30.

You didn't say if Roma S. Pietro was the station you wanted, where are you headed to in Rome?

I believe we want to go to the forum.  Just want a ticket with a guaranteed seat for the return.  

• 3 weeks later...

@euro cruiserThis thread is so helpful. Thank you so much for all the input. It looks like it's too early for us to purchase tickets for our June trip, but I just want to make sure I understand everything. 

So we're staying near Termini pre-cruise. Would you recommend the train or a bus to the port? My only concern with the train is our luggage, but if it's not too hard to deal with it, then we're game. 

Post-cruise, we'll be going to the Vatican area, so we could take the bus from the cruise terminal easily, is this correct? 

I think it depends on your priorities, the train is the budget option.  The public bus (Cotral) is even cheaper but it's cumbersome.  You'd have to take the metro to the bus depot in Rome.  The upside is that the bus stop in Civitavecchia isn't far from the point where you get the port bus to your ship.

The train has become slightly easier now that there are elevators in the station at Civitavecchia.  I would go for the slightly more expensive train options that include assigned seats rather than the regional train for two reasons.  Obviously for the guaranteed seat but also because the tracks used by these trains are in the main building, vs. the regional tracks to Civitavecchia which are three blocks away.  There is a bus that will pick up right in front of the Civitavecchia station and take you to the port bus stop.

Ultimately, however, with luggage I'd be very tempted to take one of the shared shuttles to the port.  Bigger than a car but smaller than a bus, more expensive than the train but not as expensive as a car service.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, euro cruiser said:

Ciao eurocruiser and ciao tutti,

Wondering if we should, especially as we're looking at hooopefully safe and happy sailing this year, starting off a fresh new Civi-Rome Express Train topic, (can't believe this one got to be three years old!) and I'll pin it up top as it's a popular question on the board. 

Are you up for kicking off a new edition eurocruiser? Once I see it I'll pop it up on top. No rush, or pressure. If an overwhelming number of community members thinks we can skip it, be heard here. (I'll take no protests to mean we're good to go, as long as eurocruiser is up for it) 🙂

Thanks in advance Grazie

I'm happy to do that but right now we really don't have much information.  There is only the one train per day in each direction on the schedule and they're not even marketing it as the Civitavecchia Express.  There's nothing I've seen in the press releases from FSI/Trenitalia about a 2022 update.

This train was developed to address complaints by citizens about severe overcrowding on the regional trains, exacerbated (but not caused) by cruise passengers.  Unfortunately, the solution they came up with isn't very attractive to port visit passengers (the majority of cruisers at Civitavecchia) so it didn't make an impact.   As it was introduced in February 2019 it only had one season of trial before the world came to a screeching halt a year later so we're left guessing what their assessment has been of the experiment.

Are they even able to add an earlier run in the morning, to fit better with port day visits?  Track limitations may be an issue.

Train service is not back to Pre-Covid levels, we may get some answers with the mid-year schedule update due in June.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

As it was introduced in February 2019 it only had one season of trial before the world came to a screeching halt a year later so we're left guessing what their assessment has been of the experiment.

Oh, wow, thank you for explaining all of that! 🙂

You know what, I don't know why but I was fixated on the boat train (as it was called for so long) in England, we've had a long steady topic running on that Port board.

And so the past two years feeling like, who knows, five, had me thinking the Civi-Rome train was always around like that train has been. I need to go stick my head in the freezer before I hit these boards.🥶

The way change happens in Italy, with all love and devotion to this bella paese, not to mention the obviously important focus the EU has set it sights on at the moment, it could be a while before this hits the top of any civic agenda. But... we like the tourism revenue, yes? 

Let's see how it goes. Andiamo à giugno ragazzi.