Drum Noise on Royal Class Ships Deck 10 Forward

Griller

Hi, we are presently on Royal P and have an inside cabin far forward on Caribe Deck, Deck 10 - which we think must be above the theater stage as we hear loud drumming most afternoons and evenings.

Its enough to make the floor vibrate and the bed resonate.

We have asked for a change of room but there is not one available for the rest of the cruise we booked.

We asked one of the theater tech guys and he told us they set the sound level at 90 decibels, its mostly the bass sound we hear from the drums, not much else but its pretty loud in the cabin. 

The drummer seems to practice in the afternoons, and currently they have 3 shows each evening - the noise usually is finished by 10.30pm.

Is this a well known problem in this location? I wish we had known earlier and we would have rejected this cabin.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

GTY ? Didn't study deck plans before booking ?

GTY but never had a noisy cabin like this before, and thought sound insulation would  be adequate but it really is not..

Posted this also as a heads up to other people who might want to avoid Deck 10 inside cabins in the 100's or low 200's on the Royal class ships, which are as far as I know the same design ship in most respects..

Maybe they improved the sound insulation on Regal and Majestic after this problem on the Royal.?  IDK.

Passenger Services didn't feel the need to come listen , I got the impression they already knew all about it when I told them what cabin we are in. They offered us a different cabin for a few days but not for the whole rest of the cruise as they said there just wasn't one available. They were helpful but I know the ship is heavily booked out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here's the Royal deck plan for that area. Sad to hear that you can feel the theater two full decks up and that far forward of the stage, looks like they cheaped out on the sound-proofing when they built her. Hopefully, our forward Baja deck cabin in April will be quieter.

image.thumb.png.13ff236c6e58695e1c1972e19562804f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here's the Royal deck plan for that area. Sad to hear that you can feel the theater two full decks up and that far forward of the stage, looks like they cheaped out on the sound-proofing when they built her. Hopefully, our forward Baja deck cabin in April will be quieter.

image.thumb.png.13ff236c6e58695e1c1972e19562804f.png

Thanks for posting that deckplan, our cabin is one of those adjacent to the white space bordered by Cabins C 134 and 135, and C203 and 204.  The noise comes from the wall in our cabin bordering that white space.

From talking to our neighbors in a balcony they don't hear much at all.

And there are no cabins directly below us on decks 8 and 9.

It may well be that only 4 cabins are affected by it on our deck, maybe the cabins directly on decks up from those 4  are also affected if that white space is a ventilation duct?

Edited by Griller

4 hours ago, Griller said:

Hi, we are presently on Royal P and have an inside cabin far forward on Caribe Deck, Deck 10 - which we think must be above the theater stage as we hear loud drumming most afternoons and evenings.

We have asked for a change of room but there is not one available for the rest of the cruise we booked.

We asked one of the theater tech guys and he told us they set the sound level at 90 decibels, its mostly the bass sound we hear from the drums, not much else but its pretty loud in the cabin. 

The drummer seems to practice in the afternoons, and currently they have 3 shows each evening - the noise usually is finished by 10.30pm.

Is this a well known problem in this location? I wish we had known earlier and we would have rejected this cabin.

We usually book forward or mid-forward on Dolphin(9) and have yet to hear any of this kind of noise.  We were on Royal, Emerald, a couple of years ago and could faintly hear the theatre though.  Any chance the noise is coming from another cabin?

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

We usually book forward or mid-forward on Dolphin(9) and have yet to hear any of this kind of noise.  We were on Royal, Emerald, a couple of years ago and could faintly hear the theatre though.  Any chance the noise is coming from another cabin?

Absolutely not coming from another cabin, although in the past we have had that when an entertainer who works evenings has occupied a cabin next to ours on a ship and played videos very  loudly during the day.

That is quickly fixable.

Where the noise comes from there is no other cabin, the label on the door to the space next to our cabin says "Electrical Locker" and I have never seen anyone go in our out.

Your cabin on Deck 9 cannot have been under our cabin as there is no cabin under ours, as you can see from the deck plan on this thread,  just the void space above the stage.

Edited by Griller

21 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Wow!  Good to know!  First I’ve heard of this.  You would think you did be safe from theater noise being 3 decks above it.

But no cabins or decks between our cabin and 3 decks down the back of the stage area where the band play and where there are speakers blasting out.

Just one big fairly empty space sounding box. No doubt has various theatrical stuff hanging from the ceiling ready to lower as required.

40 minutes ago, Griller said:

But no cabins or decks between our cabin and 3 decks down the back of the stage area where the band play and where there are speakers blasting out.

Just one big fairly empty space sounding box. No doubt has various theatrical stuff hanging from the ceiling ready to lower as required.

Yeah...that sucks.  No sound proofing.  I wouldn’t have thought to look several floors down and wouldn’t have noticed the blank space. Sorry you have to go through this.  

Uh oh, we are a couple decks below, very near that section, for our future cruise on Royal.  Kicker is, we specifically chose that cabin, one of the coveted large balconies. 

Oh well, we’re night owls, and I guess I will just nap up by the pool instead of in the room.  😏

5 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Uh oh, we are a couple decks below, very near that section, for our future cruise on Royal.  Kicker is, we specifically chose that cabin, one of the coveted large balconies. 

Oh well, we’re night owls, and I guess I will just nap up by the pool instead of in the room.  😏

As I mentioned previously  it only really seems to affect a very limited number of rooms and those are interior rooms which are directly above the stage area adjacent to what may be a ventilation duct and with no decks or cabins below

Even in the corridor outside our room you hardly hear anything.

So you will not be affected.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Griller said:

There won't be any "theatrical stuff" hanging in the "white spaces" on decks 8 & 9 in the area of your cabin.  Even down to decks 6 & 7, you are well forward of the backstage area, in crew cabin area.  The "electrical locker" on your deck is the main power distribution for that particular fire zone, so breaker panels for lighting, ventilation, etc.  The larger spaces on the decks below are AC air handler rooms, for the most part, with fans and cooling coils.  There would not be a vent duct the size of the space adjacent to your cabins, but there may be some ducts in there.  Not sure what is above your cabin on the centerline, so I don't know if ducting will run up through there or not.

that white area adjacent to your cabin is crew area with two staircases and one elevator.  I use it often to access my guest entertainers cabin on deck 7.  It is on every deck.

There is also duck work and electrical stuff there.

I believe you are the first cabin above the stage.  The rigging/lighting goes WAY up and the sound carries.  

We had a similar cabin on the Star once on Aloha deck I believe.  Yes it was definitely noticeable.  

2 hours ago, golfb4cruzing said:

Our first Princess trip, we received a guaranteed balcony as forward as it gets. Our balcony glass was instead steel, that forward. Anyways we kept hearing this loud drumlike thud and someone told us it was the waves off the bow. It sounded plausible.

Quite likely for your noise but not for ours. There is absolutely no doubt where it comes from. The drummer in the theater.

Actually the volume of everything musical in the ship seems unnecessarily  loud.

I know we are old but we are not all totally deaf, but we might get to be that way with the volume they use on board.

11 minutes ago, Griller said:

Quite likely for your noise but not for ours. There is absolutely no doubt where it comes from. The drummer in the theater.

Actually the volume of everything musical in the ship seems unnecessarily  loud.

I know we are old but we are not all totally deaf, but we might get to be that way with the volume they use on board.

They should be required to hand out ear plugs as you enter the theater. 🙉

4 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Another god reason to avoid guaranty cabins. They seem to assign the worst ones only if needed... and they well know the ones that have had complaints in the past.

Unfortunately we can't really complain much as we received a concessionary fare, don't want to jeopardize the future similar fares we may be offered.

And we have been very fortunate with GTY cabins in the past.

I suppose someone has to have this cabin so we are the obvious choices.

It would be fine for someone with more loss of hearing than we have - unfortunately my hearing loss is all in the higher registers, not the lower ones like this drumming.

20 hours ago, Griller said:

Thanks for posting that deckplan, our cabin is one of those adjacent to the white space bordered by Cabins C 134 and 135, and C203 and 204.  The noise comes from the wall in our cabin bordering that white space.

From talking to our neighbors in a balcony they don't hear much at all.

And there are no cabins directly below us on decks 8 and 9.

It may well be that only 4 cabins are affected by it on our deck, maybe the cabins directly on decks up from those 4  are also affected if that white space is a ventilation duct?

I'm fairly certain that white space is the fly space for the stage. Fly space is where the set pieces that are "flown" (lowered and raised vertically) go and is open to the stage.

22 hours ago, Griller said:

so, you would have rejected this 'free' cruise ? right ........................

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, you would have rejected this 'free' cruise ? right ........................

It wasn't free but it was economical, and we would have asked if we could have a different cabin at an early stage and probably would have been accommodated.

Knowing what we do now about this cabin we would not accept it again if it were the only choice we had, and would rather miss out on this cruise  and  see what else came up, there is always something as we don't cruise just Princess.