Accessible Tours in Copenhagen

dillie

• 1 month later...

Hi Dillie,

We have booked a tour with Segway Cruise Copenhagen and they have arranged a Segway tour for my husband, kids and myself, and for my parents (one who is in a wheelchair) they have arranged for a rickshaw tour to follow along our Segway tour. But I am sure they can arrange for just rickshaw tours as well if that could work (not 100% sure they do this, but worth checking if that could work for you)

First of all, your schedule in port is definitely not tour friendly. Arriving at 2:00 pm in the afternoon and departing at 3:00 pm the next afternoon really limits your best options. Also, you are docked in Nordhavn... all the way out and the metro system has not yet been extended that far. Thus if you use a wheelchair you may be able to take the bus. However, if you use a scooter, they are not allowed on the city buses. Scooters are allowed on the trains, regardless the train station is 2.1 miles from the ship, not practical. On a couple trips we did find taxis that would take us into town. That was many years ago, and I do not remember what we paid. We both felt it was reasonable.

I would suggest that you contact “Visit Copenhagen” (http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/welcome-service), they will provide with very accurate current information. Probably even advise potential sources for tours and give you an idea of cost of a taxi to and from town.

I do not believe you would have adequate time to do the “castle” tour, however if you wanted to see one of Europe's prize castles, I'd suggest a visit to Frederiksborg Slot (the day you arrive). It is approximately 40 miles north of the dock. On the way back you could stop at the Out Door Museum which is basically Danish community years and years ago. And then continue to on to Grundtvigs Kirke. It is a geometrical designed church and buildings. Now you should have some time to do something in Copenhagen (depending on how much time you spent north). Tivoli is open in the evenings and they have some reasonable restaurants. However, if you are fond of “fish & chips” Torvehallerne is the place to go. I'm serious. I've had fish & chips in London that were excellent, but this place has the best. Just ask anyone at the food mart where they are and you will be directed there. All the above places are accessible.

As far as seeing the sights in downtown Copenhagen, you will have to decide. There are three castles, all of which have limited accessibility. Christiansborg has an elevator. I am not aware of an elevator in either Amalienborg or Rosenborg.  Amalienborg is a seasonal residence of the Queen and has the Royal Guard. Rosenborg has the Kings Garden and the Crown Jewels. However, the Crown Jewels are only accessible if your companion carries you up and down the stairs. They are in the basement. Your companion's entrance is free at all sights, thus he or she is expected to assist you.

Frederik's Church (The Marble Church) is close to Amalienborg Castle. I do not if it is accessible.

Copenhagen Cathedral (Vor Frue Kirke) is between Christiansborg and Torvehallerne. It is home to home to Thorvaldsen's statues of Christ & the apostles. It is accessible.

Oh, the Little Mermaid is about half way between the terminal and down town. Would suggest that if you take a taxi ask the driver to go by it. If you want to do things on your own, check out the current Copenhagen card cost for 24 hours. Your “helper” automatically gets in free most places, thus you would only have to pay your entry fee. I do not remember what discounts you would get on your entrance. Regardless, we felt the card was well worth it. It was also good for discount on the trains.

I have been to Denmark a number of times, I have family there. Any TA cruise I take ends up in Copenhagen.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways