Cell phones and cash at ports

Futureman3000

Never cruised before. 

Do you disbark with your cell phones?  Cash?  ID's?

In HMC thinking about going out on a Hobie...  could involve getting wet.  Maybe I should leave my cell phone on the ship?

In Freeport booked a kayak excursion...  same thing.

And overall, just afraid I would lose this stuff.

I don't need the phone per se, but I'd be giving up the camera.

If you don't need your cell, I would leave it in the ship's safe.  You will need cash/credit card if you intend to purchase anything (souveneir, excursion, food) at a port.  You will need your id (driver's license or passport - though I always leave my passport on the ship with my cell) and your sail and sign card to re-enter the terminal area and get "dinged" back thru security entering the ship.  If you really want your cell at a port, you may want to get one of those clear waterproof pouches.  You can even take pics thru some of them.  Beware -  the time on your cell will convert to island time if your data roaming is on.  You will go on "ship time" when in a port - not what may show on your cell phone.   People have missed their ship (or become pier runners!) going by their cell phone time.  I always carry a watch off the ship and use that to tell time.  Hope this helps!

pretty sure HMC has locker rental. If you want to use your camera as a phone, one of these would work: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Universal-Waterproof-Compatible-Protective/dp/B01I1430WQ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2LAK0ZZI6ZR3U&keywords=waterproof+iphone+8+case&qid=1550096222&s=gateway&sprefix=waterproof+iphone%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-10

There are better and more expensive ones, but this one has worked well for us.

When off the ship we ALWAYS take our passport.  Does you no good on the ship should something happen.   Also take phone on airplane mode for pics, small bills of cash, and one credit card (just in case).  I have a backpack that we take and always have someone right next to it anyplace we leave it (beach, pools, etc).  It is NEVER alone.

• Like 2

I always put my phone in a waterproof case (its water resistant, but why chance it!) And keep my wallet and passport in a zippered pocket on the inside of my zippered beach bag, which doesn't leave my side unless I choose an excursion that has a locker rental. 

10 hours ago, moondog73 said:

When off the ship we ALWAYS take our passport.  Does you no good on the ship should something happen.   Also take phone on airplane mode for pics, small bills of cash, and one credit card (just in case).  I have a backpack that we take and always have someone right next to it anyplace we leave it (beach, pools, etc).  It is NEVER alone.

Be forewarned that some of the places won't take American Express cards.  Had to run back to the ship once to get our VISA card to make a purchase.  Now we know better and take the VISA when we go ashore.

Unless you can have your passport  on you 100% of the time do NOT take it off the ship. Putting it in a backpack or a locker that is unattended even for a minute is asking for theft or loss. Keep your passport clearly visible in your safe. If you miss the ship and it leaves cruise staff will retrieve your passport from the safe and leave I with the cruise representative at the pier. Just bring a photo I.D. and your sail pass ashore for excursions. You lose your passport and you may be screwed at customs while disembarking .....

13 hours ago, coevan said:

pretty sure HMC has locker rental. If you want to use your camera as a phone, one of these would work: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Universal-Waterproof-Compatible-Protective/dp/B01I1430WQ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2LAK0ZZI6ZR3U&keywords=waterproof+iphone+8+case&qid=1550096222&s=gateway&sprefix=waterproof+iphone%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-10

There are better and more expensive ones, but this one has worked well for us.

Thank you for this information. I'm going to order one.

We have taken our old phones that have had any personal data wiped from them with us to use as a camera in port. If they get lost or damaged, it's no big whoop. Also, they can be used with Wi-Fi in port to check the interwebs.

Edited by schazzy

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Be forewarned that some of the places won't take American Express cards.  Had to run back to the ship once to get our VISA card to make a purchase.  Now we know better and take the VISA when we go ashore.

When this happens, I just tell the merchant that I will buy the product someplace else.  They change their mind really fast.  Most merchants go through a third party for the transactions, and the fees are higher for AX.  But they will buckle if they really want the sale.

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Unless you can have your passport  on you 100% of the time do NOT take it off the ship. Putting it in a backpack or a locker that is unattended even for a minute is asking for theft or loss. Keep your passport clearly visible in your safe. If you miss the ship and it leaves cruise staff will retrieve your passport from the safe and leave I with the cruise representative at the pier. Just bring a photo I.D. and your sail pass ashore for excursions. You lose your passport and you may be screwed at customs while disembarking .....

Let me clarify.  Our passports are always in a waterproof holder around our someone's neck.  If i get in he water or something, our backpack is always with someone not int he water.  We never leave items unattended.  If something happens, I don't want to trust the ship personnel to do anything for me that relates to my travels.  I want to control my own destiny

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Futureman3000 said:

Never cruised before. 

Do you disbark with your cell phones?  Cash?  ID's?

In HMC thinking about going out on a Hobie...  could involve getting wet.  Maybe I should leave my cell phone on the ship?

In Freeport booked a kayak excursion...  same thing.

And overall, just afraid I would lose this stuff.

I don't need the phone per se, but I'd be giving up the camera.

Why not leave the phone in the safe on the ship and buy a disposable waterproof camera before sailing to take on the excursions?

My basic Verizon cell service only works internationally in US territories like Puerto Rico and the USVI

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

When this happens, I just tell the merchant that I will buy the product someplace else.  They change their mind really fast.  Most merchants go through a third party for the transactions, and the fees are higher for AX.  But they will buckle if they really want the sale.

You can't change your mind if you don't accept AMEX. I 'lived in the Caribbean for a while AMEX merchant fees are off the hook and it takes forever for them to get reimbursed. Being a retail merchant, I have no idea what you mean by a third party.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Also - if using any credit card, make sure you call up the company and tell them when and where you will be traveling.  Otherwise, they might put a fraud alert out (which you may not get if you don't have an international roaming plan on your phone) and shut down your card.  If you have ATT, they have a great plan called "international day pass."  For $10 for a 24 hour period you can use whatever plan you have "at home" in the port you are in.  We have been doing this since they put this into effect (they also have a $60 and $120 plan which is more limiting, imho).  Just make sure you put your phone back into airplane mode when back on the ship, or your charges will be through the roof!  (fyi- we were at Margaritaville in Grand Turk on Conquest a few weeks ago, and a mom was blowing her top at her teen-age daughter who racked up $1,000 cell phone charge in 4 days using her phone on the ship!!)

6 hours ago, jimbri said:

Thank you for this information. I'm going to order one.

These are the ones we use. I use it jet skiing in the ocean and keep my phone, cigarettes, cash, credit cards, passports and other misc items and they all stay perfectly dry! I usually keep the passports in a ziplock bag as well. We never leave the ship without them. :-) 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I41MJTQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01I41MJTQ&pd_rd_w=dsvgT&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=IbaOE&pf_rd_r=E8JMDG5WCVWYWEMSWF1E&pd_rd_r=9d473103-3086-11e9-a873-cb4fd7a22e28

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

You can't change your mind if you don't accept AMEX. I 'lived in the Caribbean for a while AMEX merchant fees are off the hook and it takes forever for them to get reimbursed. Being a retail merchant, I have no idea what you mean by a third party.

A credit card processing company handles the transaction as a middle man.  Not the bank direct.  Yes, many merchants can accept an AX but chose not to.  By saying, no, they make you pull out another card.  They say not because of the extra percent AX charges.  If the purchase is big enough, push the issue.  If they want to loose the sale, they will say no. All I'm saying, is always push the issue and see if they want the sale or not. 

Good stuff here.  I LOVE the idea about bringing an old iphone.  I have one that is deactivated and therefore there is no danger of racking up charges.  Also the waterproof pouch.

The passport thing still has me wondering though as it seems that there's no consensus.  I was/am still leaning towards keeping them on the boat though.  If they got lost or wet I'd be screwed.

34 minutes ago, Futureman3000 said:

The passport thing still has me wondering though as it seems that there's no consensus.  I was/am still leaning towards keeping them on the boat though.  

Those who insist on having their pp with them wherever and whenever have likely never been away from the Caribbean.

It is common on cruises in the Med, South America, Asia, etc for the ship to take your passport when you embark, keep it for the duration, and return it just before your cruise ends.

There are a few places that insist that you go ashore with your pp...Cuba is one, St Petersburg, Russia is another....but most ports view cruise passengers as 'in transit' and do not view a cruise visitor as a tourist entering the country for an extended stay.

45 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

A credit card processing company handles the transaction as a middle man.  Not the bank direct.  Yes, many merchants can accept an AX but chose not to.  By saying, no, they make you pull out another card.  They say not because of the extra percent AX charges.  If the purchase is big enough, push the issue.  If they want to loose the sale, they will say no. All I'm saying, is always push the issue and see if they want the sale or not. 

If your processor is not set up to accept AMEX, you can not. The machine will not recognize the card. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Futureman3000 said:

The passport thing still has me wondering though as it seems that there's no consensus.  I was/am still leaning towards keeping them on the boat though.  If they got lost or wet I'd be screwed.

We leave our passport in the safe on the ship.  If you miss the ship an officer on board will pack your stuff in your safe and give it to port authorities to return to you when you finally show up.

And yes, I've seen this happen with my own eyes :classic_rolleyes:🛳️

• Like 1

It is different if I am on a land vacation to say Europe or Mexico.  I don't feel the need to have my passport with me every second of the day.  I can always easily retrieve it form the resort or hotel if needed.  However on a cruise, if the ship does not collect my passport, I will have it on my person at all times when off the ship.  If for some reason i miss the ship, I already have everything I need to make arrangements.  Why would I trust the crew to go find my passport when they can't even control chair hogs?

I have a money belt that I used on my trip to Rome last year and I plan on taking that with me on my cruise in June. It straps right around my waist, under my clothes. It is water proof and it fits my phone, passport, money, and credit cards with room to spare and, it never leaves my body! I highly recommend one.

7 hours ago, fuzzychop1 said:

These are the ones we use. I use it jet skiing in the ocean and keep my phone, cigarettes, cash, credit cards, passports and other misc items and they all stay perfectly dry! I usually keep the passports in a ziplock bag as well. We never leave the ship without them. 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I41MJTQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01I41MJTQ&pd_rd_w=dsvgT&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=IbaOE&pf_rd_r=E8JMDG5WCVWYWEMSWF1E&pd_rd_r=9d473103-3086-11e9-a873-cb4fd7a22e28

I use these too. They’re great. They hold a lot.  Not a drop of water got on my phone or passports or money.