Celebrity Road to Hana Excursion Itinerary

Aquaticdreams

We are booked on a Hawaii cruise in October and it is our first trip to Hawaii. I have always dreamed of doing the road to Hana. Our time in Maui is limited (no overnight) so the ship’s tour is really the only safe way to go. Private tour or car rental is not an option. We have no concerns whatsoever about the road itself or the long day. We live in the mountains of AZ and take our jeep on far hairier backroads than this! We also love long scenic drives. That said, with everything I’ve read it’s still not clear if the drive is predominantly along the coast with ocean views or if it is mostly through a rainforest with only occasional views of the ocean. This tour goes the entire loop and returns via the back road. With this being only a nine hour tour most of the stops are short photo stops. The exception is lunch. We won’t be hiking, swimming or anything along those lines. This is the itinerary. I am wondering if anyone has done a similar itinerary and what you thought of it. Was the scenery along the way and these stops enough to feel you experienced the road? It’s on the bucket list so I hope so! Thanks.

Kaumahina State Park  15 min

Wainapanapa with possible photo stop en route  15 min

Hana Ranch Restaurant  50 min

Wailua Falls  10 min

Oheo Gulch, 7 Sacred Pools   photo stop if traffic conditions permit; does not go in to Oheo Gulch or 7 Sacred Pools  15 min

Lindbergh Grave   15 min

Kaupo Store   20 min

Ulupalakua Winery (only if time permits) 10 min

Return travel to pier (via Kaupo)  

53 minutes ago, Aquaticdreams said:

We are booked on a Hawaii cruise in October and it is our first trip to Hawaii. I have always dreamed of doing the road to Hana. Our time in Maui is limited (no overnight) so the ship’s tour is really the only safe way to go. Private tour or car rental is not an option. We have no concerns whatsoever about the road itself or the long day. We live in the mountains of AZ and take our jeep on far hairier backroads than this! We also love long scenic drives. That said, with everything I’ve read it’s still not clear if the drive is predominantly along the coast with ocean views or if it is mostly through a rainforest with only occasional views of the ocean. This tour goes the entire loop and returns via the back road. With this being only a nine hour tour most of the stops are short photo stops. The exception is lunch. We won’t be hiking, swimming or anything along those lines. This is the itinerary. I am wondering if anyone has done a similar itinerary and what you thought of it. Was the scenery along the way and these stops enough to feel you experienced the road? It’s on the bucket list so I hope so! Thanks.

Kaumahina State Park  15 min

Wainapanapa with possible photo stop en route  15 min

Hana Ranch Restaurant  50 min

Wailua Falls  10 min

Oheo Gulch, 7 Sacred Pools   photo stop if traffic conditions permit; does not go in to Oheo Gulch or 7 Sacred Pools  15 min

Lindbergh Grave   15 min

Kaupo Store   20 min

Ulupalakua Winery (only if time permits) 10 min

Return travel to pier (via Kaupo)  

Your history shows you may be on the Celebrity Eclipse in October and will be in Lahaina from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.  Our opinion only, but to take the tour you have in mind would really be pushing it time-wise, to say the least.  Do you mean you would be driven from Lahaina to Hana and then further on around the "backside" of the island and finally back to the ship?  That is a LOT of driving and territory to cover and still be back before all-aboard time.  

Yes thats all correct. We would go from Lahaina to the road to Hāna then continue on past it and back to port via the back way. The time works but is definitely cutting it close and that’s why I would only consider the ship’s excursion as they have to wait for the tours to return. 

17 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Yes thats all correct. We would go from Lahaina to the road to Hāna then continue on past it and back to port via the back way. The time works but is definitely cutting it close and that’s why I would only consider the ship’s excursion as they have to wait for the tours to return. 

We are honestly a bit surprised that Celebrity would offer an excursion such as what you have outlined since the road much beyond Hana can get rather iffy in several respects.  Do know that cell phone coverage is spotty out there, and if the tour vehicle breaks down or gets damaged you may/may not be able to call for help.  

We took Celebrity’s tour you describe a few years ago on the advice of relatives who had done it, and it was the most enjoyable shore excursion we’ve ever taken in 30+ cruises together. We rarely spend much on tours but this was worth every penny.

i also had always heard of the famous Road to Hana, and will always be glad we made it. I learned a lot, and we enjoyed seeing all the historic bridges.

Yes, it’s a long, full day and lots of time on the road, but the lush scenery is gorgeous - viewpoints and waterfalls galore. There were ocean views at many places. Lunch at Hana Ranch was great - we could order anything on the menu, IIRC. Bar drinks were extra, and they made a terrific Mai Tai. 

The return portion was also enjoyable with the stop at the Kaupo ice cream store. If they still continue along the back way, as we did, I would not be at all concerned. The tour drivers were in touch with their base all day and seemed very knowledgeable about current road conditions. It was an adventure!

Advice: Get on the small bus as soon as you get ashore and find seats that are not over a wheel well. You’ll be glad to have full leg room. We were waiting around to board for another couple to be on the same bus together and ended up with less desirable seats.

I happened to be looking at my photo album the other day, and about half of the trip’s photos were taken that one day. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 2/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

Thank you Chris! I’m glad it was so memorable for you. I’m so excited now as this is what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like it will be just what I imagined. Great advice about the bus too. A question - which side has the better ocean view?

We were on the left side and had a good view, but the road twists around, so I think it all evens out in the end. They made plenty of photo stops, too, by scenic waterfalls and rock pools.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all. They cancelled the excursion. We’re super disappointed. We’ll have to figure out what else to do. We’re not that interested in Haleakala crater because we want to see the lush scenery and ocean. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

On 3/24/2019 at 7:16 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks all. They cancelled the excursion. We’re super disappointed. We’ll have to figure out what else to do. We’re not that interested in Haleakala crater because we want to see the lush scenery and ocean. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

If you want the views you have indicated you would be best put to go as far as Hana and back, as the road all the way around does not have lush scenery all the way around.  You should find enough to satisfy you, and it will fit better time wise.  

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If you want the views you have indicated you would be best put to go as far as Hana and back, as the road all the way around does not have lush scenery all the way around.  You should find enough to satisfy you, and it will fit better time wise.  

I know this is somewhat subjective, based on how many stops you make and how long you spend at them, BUT if you do the drive to Hana and back, approximately how much time should one allow (starting in Lahainia).

9 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I know this is somewhat subjective, based on how many stops you make and how long you spend at them, BUT if you do the drive to Hana and back, approximately how much time should one allow (starting in Lahainia).

If you want to believe what you read, the general consensus of opinion is about three hours each way but, as you said, it all depends on how many stops you want to make and how traffic is moving.  Hana doesn't seem to be that far away if you look at it from a miles standpoint, but do factor in that those miles can be rather slow in spots.

• Like 1

Having done this trip twice in a rental car going to Hana & back gives you more time at each of the stops. The original plan by the ship sounded sooo rushed! Bring your bathing suits  so you can take a dip at the black sand beach & good walking shoes if you decide to take a short hike which we also enjoyed.

We did do the backside once in a rental car & although I am glad we did, I would say for the optimum once in a lifetime trip do the one way there & back. Hint: Go to Hana directly enjoy the drive & then backtrack to stop at the sights. Not only are you opposite the main traffic both ways, but you can guage your time better!

Leave as soon as you can, get a picnic lunch  to take with in Paia  on the left hand side of the road as soon as you enter the town area, about $10 pp & they sell CD's & give traffic weather info. ENJOY!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eltigre said:

Go to Hana directly enjoy the drive & then backtrack to stop at the sights. Not only are you opposite the main traffic both ways, but you can guage your time better!

Now I think that makes a LOT of sense!! Thanks for that tip!

Thanks. That’s a really great point and exactly the advice I would take if we rented a car! I don’t think we want to drive this ourselves though, not because of the road but because the driver won’t get to fully see all the views. As much as I dream of doing the road to Hana I’m looking at alternative scenic drive tours. I’m looking at a private one in west Maui with views or stops at Waihee, Iao, Ukumehame, and Olawalu Valleys, Makamaka'ole Falls, Kapalua, Flemings Beach, Honolua Valley, Hanakohau Bay, and Kahakuloa. It sounds like some of this might be along the Kahekili Highway. Still researching and undecided.

17 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks. That’s a really great point and exactly the advice I would take if we rented a car! I don’t think we want to drive this ourselves though, not because of the road but because the driver won’t get to fully see all the views. As much as I dream of doing the road to Hana I’m looking at alternative scenic drive tours. I’m looking at a private one in west Maui with views or stops at Waihee, Iao, Ukumehame, and Olawalu Valleys, Makamaka'ole Falls, Kapalua, Flemings Beach, Honolua Valley, Hanakohau Bay, and Kahakuloa. It sounds like some of this might be along the Kahekili Highway. Still researching and undecided.

What you are looking at here is basically driving around the West Maui Mountains, and not just west Maui.  It would be a lot of driving/riding (including the Kahekili Highway).  Not that you asked, but a suggestion if we might is that you ask for a much more detailed explanation of what you will be shown as the general names are too vague.