Solo, then with a friend, now Solo again

Markmom18

Hi,

So, yes I planned my 1st ever SOLO trip on the Dream next month. 🤗🛳🤗🛳.  I Paid the single supplement.  So, all expenses were paid when just month ago I added a friend to my cabin. In a nutshell, She's having family problems, and cannot go.

Do I tell Carnival she won't be sailing? I haven't had this happen before, I want to make sure I get the latest advice. I'm more than fine going on this trip, and will be keeping the Cabin all to myself! So, I'm not going to be adding anyone.

Thanks!

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

HI all!

Bobbi ~ that happened to me too, in April 2013 on the Dream. My friend broke her wrist & was advised not to travel to the Caribbean so I went alone. I just told them when I got onboard that she was a non show. I had read to do it that way on these boards. All worked out fine.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Thanks everybody!!  😁😁. By "playing dumb", am I saying she should be checking in later?  Or just volunteer she won't be able to make the cruise. I mean I figure they're going to ask me??

🌸🌸

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

We’re making some assumptions that when she joined you all she did was pay the taxes and fees for the second person in the cabin, as you had already paid the solo fare, right?  Was there any other price adjustment made?  Is she expecting any portion of her payment back?

If not, then it it won’t matter whether she cancels ahead of time or not.  But if there was a fare adjustment (other than taxes and fees) then better to have her be a no-show, so you do not get re-fared.  Does not really matter on Carnival if you tell them at check in or not.

If yes, and she is expecting her taxes and fees to be refunded, she needs to cancel in advance.  If there was also a fare adjustment, then the two of you will need to discuss who gets what and who will pay for what.  Especially if it means you could be re-fared. (In that case, it would probably cost less if you convinced her to be a no show and you paid the tax/fees refund to her.)

Hi,

Yes, I planned a Solo trip and paid for the cruise in full.  

I called Carnival to add her to my paid Cabin & I paid her fees & grats because Carnival wanted the money at the time of the phone call.  She then reimbursed ME. We're good.

Now that she's not going, I sent HER a reimbursement for those fees & grats.  

Carnival will be crediting ME because I paid for the additional fees for the her, the extra person.

Does this make financial sense? After writing it out, I'm getting a bit confused! 🤔🤔

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

I have a similar situation. I was in a relationship at the time I booked the cruise but as you know, nothing lasts forever. as such i will be cruising alone. I am going follow the advice that I have seen on these boards and play dumb because repricing my cruise would not be pretty as I booked a suite for the first time. I am not too worried about a refund though it would be nice (as I paid for the entire cruise) I just don't want them to charge me anything extra as this cruise is already expensive enough.