Hawaii in January

lisagro

Can't speak to the cruise but I was on a land vacation last January on Maui and had a wonderful time.  The weather in Hawaii is generally consistent throughout the year.  January is during whale season on Maui so that would be a plus!  🙂  

Edited by Beachiekeen

Not saying it would happen but it January would have more of a potential for storms or cooler weather than October. The one time we took a land trip to Maui in January (2010) we were wearing hoodies in the evening and the winds made it cool enough during the day that Marie did not swim the entire week. 

Maui

January average temps - 71° / 55

October average temps - 77° / 60°

Not a huge difference as but as i said more chance of a storm

We did the 2 week Carnival Journey's cruise last month January from Long Beach, to the islands, and back.  In our case the waters were rocky for the first 3 sea days.  But once in the islands, it was generally nice.  Temps in the 70's.  The standard occasional island shower might be expected any day.  But we enjoyed it and never had to wear any rain gear.  Aside from the rocky trip, Carnival determined that our Kona stop wouldn't work because the seas were to rocky for tender operations.  Fortunately they figured this out prior to leaving Honolulu, so we just ended up staying an extra day there.

10 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Not saying it would happen but it January would have more of a potential for storms or cooler weather than October. The one time we took a land trip to Maui in January (2010) we were wearing hoodies in the evening and the winds made it cool enough during the day that Marie did not swim the entire week. 

Maui

January average temps - 71° / 55

October average temps - 77° / 60°

Not a huge difference as but as i said more chance of a storm

Not sure where you got those average temperatures but our highly regarded local weather forecaster shows these averages for here on Maui.

January averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 82-64 F. (27.8C-17.8C) 3.49" precipitation Hana 79-64 F. (26.1C-17.8C) 9.45" precipitation. Kahului 80-64 F. (26.7C-17.8C) 4.14" precipitation.  Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 69%

October averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 88-69 F. (31.7C-20.6C) 1.09" of precipitation Hana 83-70 F. (28.9C-21.1C) 7.02" of precipitation

Kahului 87-69 F. (30.6C-20.6C) 1.23" of precipitation Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 60%

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/#jan

Since doing a cruise around the islands, we've been to Hawaii multiple times in Jan.,  usually splitting our time between 2 islands on each visit.  Particularly partial to west Maui, north of Lahaina.  Good whale watching from the beach along there at that time.  Plus we've also taken a whale watching trip out of Lahaina.  Weather has been great at that time.

Edited by BarbinMich

• 1 month later...

We were therefor 2 weeks in Jan this year. One week on the cruise. Weather on Oahu for our 5 days prior to the cruise was great. Warm days, cooler evenings. Lots of sun. On the cruise we had calm seas, a little rocky on the final night. We had rain come in on our final day in Kauai, mist and low cloud meant the Napali Coast wasn’t as spectacular as on a sunny day......but the rain did bring hundreds of waterfalls. As they say, every cloud has a silver lining. I would not hesitate to visit again at the same time,

It makes me laugh when people say weather is consistent year round in Hawaii. No it's not. October in general is much warmer than January. In January on occasion the lows at night will get down into the high 50s, but more frequently the low 60s, at least in my area of Oahu. Very occasionally in Jan/Feb the weather may not even reach 70 during the day. I don't know about you, but to me under 70 is not beach weather so if I were expecting hot summer weather I'd be disappointed. January has the tendency to be wetter, as well. Each winter is different, some winters are nearly as dry as the summers. Others like this winter and especially last winter it seems to rain quite frequently. It's a little hit or miss. January is definitely great for whales, so that's a definite bonus. There could be a swell either month, but much more likely in January.

Any month is a fine month for a cruise in Hawaii (or a land vacation) it all depends on what you want out of the vacation.

Compared to the rest of the US, where many people are coming from, that is relatively little change, month over month. When there are 30, or 40, or 50 degree changes in average highs from December or January to July or August, that is temperature variations.

6 hours ago, kgymn said:

It makes me laugh when people say weather is consistent year round in Hawaii. No it's not. October in general is much warmer than January. In January on occasion the lows at night will get down into the high 50s, but more frequently the low 60s, at least in my area of Oahu. Very occasionally in Jan/Feb the weather may not even reach 70 during the day. I don't know about you, but to me under 70 is not beach weather so if I were expecting hot summer weather I'd be disappointed. January has the tendency to be wetter, as well. Each winter is different, some winters are nearly as dry as the summers. Others like this winter and especially last winter it seems to rain quite frequently. It's a little hit or miss. January is definitely great for whales, so that's a definite bonus. There could be a swell either month, but much more likely in January.

Any month is a fine month for a cruise in Hawaii (or a land vacation) it all depends on what you want out of the vacation.

I wouldn't worry about the weather-- its fairly consistent throughout the year. The biggest reason I would move it from October to January is that the whales will be there in January and will be a lot of fun to see especially off Lahaina in Maui. October is generally too early to see them. 

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Compared to the rest of the US, where many people are coming from, that is relatively little change, month over month. When there are 30, or 40, or 50 degree changes in average highs from December or January to July or August, that is temperature variations.

With only about a 10° temperature variation between the hottest & coolest months that’s my definition of consistency:  upper 80 to low 90;  upper 70 to low 80.

The coolest temperature inside our Maui house has been 72° in the winter when it drops into the 60s & even sometimes upper 50s overnight.  The local weather forecasters say to add another blanket when it gets into the 60s overnight.  That’s never been necessary for us but sometimes we will turn off our ceiling fans overnight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

With only about a 10° temperature variation between the hottest & coolest months that’s my definition of consistency:  upper 80 to low 90;  upper 70 to low 80.

The coolest temperature inside our Maui house has been 72° in the winter when it drops into the 60s & even sometimes upper 50s overnight.  The local weather forecasters say to add another blanket when it gets into the 60s overnight.  That’s never been necessary for us but sometimes we will turn off our ceiling fans overnight.

Totally agree.

We laugh when we see locals wearing sweatshirts in Hawaii. But we understand it is what you are used to. When very low 60s is an unusually low temp, a local will feel cold. But you won't get much sympathy from someone who has zero, or below, winter mornings...😃😉

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Totally agree.

We laugh when we see locals wearing sweatshirts in Hawaii. But we understand it is what you are used to. When very low 60s is an unusually low temp, a local will feel cold. But you won't get much sympathy from someone who has zero, or below, winter mornings...😃😉

For me the cooler winter temperatures are perfect! 😃

I wear shorts year round & have a couple of long sleeve tees for when it gets cold. 

We also save on electricity by using the AC less often than in the hotter months. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree with everyone who says anytime in Hawaii is a good time, but...the difference between the 70s and 80s is huge to me.  It makes a difference on water temperature and how enjoyable being out without a "wrap" is.  I like it warm and tropical.  Laughing at "locals wearing sweatshirts" is crazy.  They don't wear them because it is balmy and warm, they wear them because it is too cold to wear just a t-shirt.  My favorite months for Hawaii are September and October but if you need to change your cruise...anytime is a good time.  I hope you enjoy your cruise and the Hawaiian Islands whichever month you go.  Cherie

Edited by cccole

26 minutes ago, cccole said:

Laughing at "locals wearing sweatshirts" is crazy.  They don't wear them because it is balmy and warm, they wear them because it is too cold to wear just a t-shirt.  

My point is it isn't too cold to someone from a non-tropic area. In January, most non-Hawaii people would be very happy with 70 as a high, and would be wearing a tee shirt. I have never, in over 30 visits (two booked in the next year, never less than 7 days, typically 10-14 days, been there 10 months of the year) taken any sort of jacket, and only take long pants for the temp we might fly back into.

But you, and other locals are used to low 60s being cold. It is what you are used to.