Drinks Package?

JamieLogical

On 6/11/2019 at 1:00 PM, GA Dave said:

I am in agreement with Jaime on this one.  Since we sail Haven on NCL, the drink package is automatically included, as well as specialty dining, excursion credits, butler, concierge, etc.  When I looked at the pricing on the VV cruises, I was surprised.  It is as much or more than my Haven Caribbean 7-day cruises.  And I would still have to pay for drinks.

No thanks!

The Haven is the same cost of a Virgin Voyages 5 day cruise?  I find that hard to believe considering we priced the Haven balcony room for a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean starting at $7000/cabin for the two of us.  Can you please show me Haven pricing that is less than a 5 day cruise in a Balcony Cabin on Virgin?  I'd really love to see that because we would book it if it existed.   We generally sail the Caribbean for 7 days in a balcony cabin for $3500/cabin or less depending on the level of that cabin.  

We're sailing the Mayan Sol next August for around $3100 for the two of us.  That's on par with a 7 day cruise on any other cruise line, but with all the meals included, that means we won't spend $300 - $500 for specialty dining, so the cost is a wash.  

If there is a Haven balcony cabin for $3500 or less for 2 people in a cabin for a 7 night Caribbean cruise, I really, sincerely want to know about it.  My wife has really wanted to try the Haven but it's so much more expensive than the regular ship.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hmmm it sounds exactly like the old warships that P&O used in the 80s. Like Fairstar, Fairsky etc.

that was purely a party ship, no drink package in those days )I was on Fairstar). All the youngies put their heads on the bar to have spirits poured in the mouth followed by a lemon or chaser.

drinks were so cheap and plentiful but lots of drunks including a sloppy few. Ship didn’t have stabilisers so you felt every move and that was fun when dancing. Everyone all moving left to right as a group 😂😂😂

so this could be an upscale party boat. The 3 cruises I’ve been on now has been too quiet, not even a band every night to dance to. It drove me nuts 😡 it’s either catered to old farts or kids. That’s it, nothing for us boomers.

not sure about 2 pools, others has 3-4!! And deck plans don’t show 2...

Btw, I just came off Princess Ruby cruise around Australia and the drink package is $86/day!!! AND only 15 drinks. Last time I was on Princess Diamond in 2014, it was around 40-50/ Day unlimited drinks.

i didn’t get package, drank what I wanted and saved $600!

what a boring shop that was!!! Cruise director had us partying night before port days and no party night before sea days. Never again! Mediocre food too. Water in pool was great and 4 pool with spas. 

Dont see spas on this new ship... or outside movies under the stars?? What do we do in our quiet times? 🤔

Edited by lbruce401

On 3/11/2019 at 2:50 AM, Flafun888 said:

Gotta agree...neither my DH or I are boozers - we drink in moderation and don't get drunk or overdo anything. But for us, part of the pleasure of a Caribbean/warm weather cruise is the food and drink...the poolside relaxation, enjoying those creamy umbrella drinks, nice wines with dinner, a cocktail in the club or during a show.

But frankly, the biggest use of our drink package wasn't booze - it was numerous bottles of water and all the espressos and other specialty coffees we had in the am before gym workouts. In the pm after dinner.

It's the combo of both that made the pkg such a good value for us. LOVED being able to try so many new things, without worrying about per drink charges.

Neither of us drinks sodas or fruit juices or uses  the spa or internet during cruises, so for us, those things have zero value. Just like drinks pkg has no value for others. Hopefully, they'll give those that do want it a chance to buy it at a reasonable cost.

We tried our first ever drink package on Celebrity and I was hooked. I do want to try Virgin too...but think I'll wait a couple of years to see if they may soften their stance on packages.

I think they’ll harden their drink package stance!! Princess Cruise did snd now it’s way more expensive with a 15 drink limit. It used to be unlimited with a 15 min service wait. 

For everyone complaining about drink packages and not being able to relax and having to tally every drink. You can create YOUR OWN drink package. It can include ANYTHING you want with no limitations. How? Buy onboard credit in advance. You know your own drinking habits. Calculate how much you think you will drink, buy a little extra. If there is credit left over on the last day of your cruise, buy your ship souvenirs then or go on a binge. LOL It may not be perfect, but you don't have to worry about each and every drink. Some cruise lines have drink packages that are not unlimited, so you would still be counting drinks on those lines anyway. 

• Like 3

Ok so what’s the joke?

Oh the poor gen X, the poor ‘what about me attitude’. Can’t work, read or spell 🙄

thank god it’s an ADULT ship 😁

and you cant drink in US when under 21 👌🏻

Us Aussies vote and drink at 18. 

6 minutes ago, resstation said:

For everyone complaining about drink packages and not being able to relax and having to tally every drink. You can create YOUR OWN drink package. It can include ANYTHING you want with no limitations. How? Buy onboard credit in advance. You know your own drinking habits. Calculate how much you think you will drink, buy a little extra. If there is credit left over on the last day of your cruise, buy your ship souvenirs then or go on a binge. LOL It may not be perfect, but you don't have to worry about each and every drink. Some cruise lines have drink packages that are not unlimited, so you would still be counting drinks on those lines anyway. 

Yeah typical illiterate Gen X 🙄

I drink what I like, check account next day and have cash put aside (you know, SAVINGS) and pay cash before I leave or have savings account. Didn’t use package, drank what and when I wanted and saved $600 not using package 🙄

i didn’t care if I went over or what. Just an experiment that paid off well. 

Edited by lbruce401
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 6:19 AM, lbruce401 said:

Ok so what’s the joke?

Oh the poor gen X, the poor ‘what about me attitude’. Can’t work, read or spell 🙄

thank god it’s an ADULT ship 😁

and you cant drink in US when under 21 👌🏻

Us Aussies vote and drink at 18. 

Oh come on, it was clear to everyone that it wasn't that serious, there's no need to be so sensitive.

Re: "Adult ship" gen X are age 39 at the youngest, and millennials are age 23 at the youngest, seems like just the demographic VV is shooting for.

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

As a fellow boomer, I have to agree that it's a bit funny hearing you refer to others as "old farts".  

Speak for yourself!! I don’t consider myself an old fart at 55. That’s middle age and the best age as you don’t have kids and can do what you like 😁

you better stay off this ship then as Richard says “young at heart and mind” not age 🤪

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 6:16 AM, resstation said:

This was what i was going to say. They may offer drink tickets that you can pre purchase as well. Royal used to do that. I dont know if they still do or not. But we would pay for 3 or 4 drinks each per day before we left. Since the drink packages have started to be "included" in fares we have not done that in a long time though. And I do like knowing pretty much how much I am going to spend before I leave. It just makes the vacation less stressful for us.

Edited by clskinsfan

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, IluvZ said:

I think one thing that people forgot is that when I book a land based trip, I can buy a bottle of local spirits and wine to drink in my room and often around the pool. We are highly limited in the ability to do that on a cruise ship. So the individual cost of drinks on a cruise effect us much more than any land based trip we take. 

We have sail sail a few times on MSC yacht club and they include drinks in the private spaces and around the ship.  The YC allowed me to bring all my spirits bought on shore back with no questions, restocked my mini bar every day with all kinds of drinks and snacks, and offer butler delivered drinks and snacks at all times.  Given VV advertising, I expect this as standard kind of level of provided amenities and was surprised when it was only limited beverages. 

I read in the FAQ that I will be able to bring 2 bottles of wine on board to my cabin as long as it is not in my checked baggage.  Plus, I believe there will be an assortment of alcoholic beverages in each cabin to start with.  

On 2/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Biker19 said:

Curious, do you exclude every resort in your vacation planning that doesn't offer a drink package?

I do if its abroad and its not a sightseeing trip. If we are going to a resort or a cruise we prefer to have a drink package so there is not guess work. If someone wants to get a drink... they do no math involved, I feel its more carefree. So if that is something that the OP is looking for then that is their prerogative. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just finished carnival Cruise and had drink package. worried about the 15 drink minimum. we are not drunks so don't judge us . we get to pool by 10 am or so and may have a few beers or cocktails. eat lunch have some more, eat dinner then some more.  usually hit the rack around 10. never hit 15 but came close twice, 12.  didnot see any out of hand drunks on the ship. in fact I have never seen the type of drunks mentioned in above post.  maybe I'm too drunk to notice. after looking at the bill we would have been better off paying for each drink by about 200 bucks.  Norwegian package is free when you get a balcony or above but bar service is slow. been on about 9 cruises and 4 all inclusive resort, booze package is important to us. short trips and no package on virgin, sorry not for us so you folks don't have to worry about seeing our drunk asses on the voyages any time soon. 

2 hours ago, msgvas61 said:

just finished carnival Cruise and had drink package. worried about the 15 drink minimum. we are not drunks so don't judge us . we get to pool by 10 am or so and may have a few beers or cocktails. eat lunch have some more, eat dinner then some more.  usually hit the rack around 10. never hit 15 but came close twice, 12.  didnot see any out of hand drunks on the ship. in fact I have never seen the type of drunks mentioned in above post.  maybe I'm too drunk to notice. after looking at the bill we would have been better off paying for each drink by about 200 bucks.  Norwegian package is free when you get a balcony or above but bar service is slow. been on about 9 cruises and 4 all inclusive resort, booze package is important to us. short trips and no package on virgin, sorry not for us so you folks don't have to worry about seeing our drunk asses on the voyages any time soon. 

Norwegian does not have slow service. Obvious exceptions on really busy areas like pool deck mid sea day. 

55 minutes ago, Victorious8 said:

Norwegian does not have slow service. Obvious exceptions on really busy areas like pool deck mid sea day. 

I agree. It can be slow in busy spots at specific times but more often than not, I can just walk up and get a drink with no wait.

1 hour ago, msgvas61 said:

I have been on 5 norweigian cruises and can tell ya at the main pool the service has been slow everytime.  I prefer Norwegian cruises.  Just the way i see it. 

Oh yeah, the pool bars on a nice sea day can be pretty backed up, but I don't see how that could be avoided.

13 hours ago, msgvas61 said:

I have been on 5 norweigian cruises and can tell ya at the main pool the service has been slow everytime.  I prefer Norwegian cruises.  Just the way i see it. 

Every cruise ship has slow service at the pool when it's busy. Usually they make the worst drinks too because it's quantity over quality at the pool. 

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I really want to try Virgin....but the lack of a “drink package” gives me pause...

On our last cruise we paid $166 for WiFi, almost $300 for Specialty meals.  I'm fine paying per drink since I won't have either of those to pay for or coffee or most soft drinks or gratuities on Virgin. 

Edited by creativegenius
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

On our last cruise we paid $166 for WiFi, almost $300 for Specialty meals.  I'm fine paying per drink since I won't have either of those to pay for or coffee or most soft drinks or gratuities on Virgin. 

166 for WiFi does nothing for me, I cruise to disconnect, i will analyze the math, I remember cruising before drink packages, credit card on fire. 🙂