Driving from Ottawa to Manhattan - how to + where to stay

ladybub101

We are 2 families of 5 driving down to the Manhattan cruise terminal for a Norwegian cruise in Feb 2021.  It's a long way off, but I'm wondering if anyone has done the drive and what the best route would be.  Also, we are looking for best options for hotel the night before and getting to the port (no need for a fancy hotel). Is it smarter to find a hotel with a shuttle, or park at the terminal (I'm aware of the crazy costs of parking).  It would be a Sunday morning departure...how bad will traffic be?  Do we need to drive through NYC to get there?

I'd love to hear your personal experiences! 

8 hours ago, ladybub101 said:

We are 2 families of 5 driving down to the Manhattan cruise terminal for a Norwegian cruise in Feb 2021.  It's a long way off, but I'm wondering if anyone has done the drive and what the best route would be.  Also, we are looking for best options for hotel the night before and getting to the port (no need for a fancy hotel). Is it smarter to find a hotel with a shuttle, or park at the terminal (I'm aware of the crazy costs of parking).  It would be a Sunday morning departure...how bad will traffic be?  Do we need to drive through NYC to get there?

I'd love to hear your personal experiences! 

NYC traffic on a Sunday morning will be light, but it only takes one fender bender to cause a major backup.

There are no hotels with shuttles to the port in Manhattan. You are really  stuck with paying the high parking fee. Look on the hotel booking sites for hotels around 50th St. and 12th Ave, might find a bargain. Another suggestion depending on the route you choose you can find reasonable rates staying outside the city in NY or NJ

There are 2 routes I would choose to get to the port, it all depends on where you decide to stay the night before. Both will take you to Binghamton NY and then branch off. One gets you into the city through the Holland Tunnel. The other one takes you to the George Washington bridge and an easy drive to the port from the north. This is the one I would choose.

Google directions Syracuse to 12th Ave NY and you will see the two routes.

Hope I was of some help.

A bit too early to plan drive-park-stay options for 2 winters away, a long drive thru the hilly interstate highways of easily 8 to 8.5 hous with restroom/meals & bathroom stops, abou 415 miles in distance - I strongly advise drive in and staying in NYC at least one day early, rest overnight & then embarkation for the cruise.  Newer hotels might be opening up between now & then - generally, expect to find park-and-say hotel packages on New Jersey side of the Hudson River, including round-trip transfer to the port, at reasonable prices compared to just parking on top of the pier.  Depending on bed needs, 5 persons might need to book a suite or generous "room" with 2 Queens bed & a sofabed or rollaway - you can usually see pricing, package costs & option to book at the 1 year mark, maybe sooner but doubtful when it's 2 years away. 

Are you sharing the driving & parking/lodging expenses - possibly fitting everyone & everyone into a minivan ??  If you are doing a 10 days, 12 or 14 days sailing (longer duration) - parking above the pier might be not as expensive as it is capped at 10 days or $40 per night x 10 = $400 USD, taxes & fees included, no surcharges or other add-on.  

As for routing, the obvious one is heading south, straight down on I-81, passing thru Syracuse, down to Binghamton and continue thru the Pocono moutains on I-380, onward to I-80 East into NJ via the Delaware Water Gap, and stay on the NJ side for lodging ... then, on Sunday morning, make that final 30 to 45 minutes drive or via hotel shuttle transfer to the cruise terminal. 

If you are a CAA member (Canadian Automobile Association) get a designated route from them. If you are not a CAA member it is likely that someone you know is and they can get it for you.

As far as places to stay I always advise people to contact the NYC tourist information office.

Actually one of your major issues may be finding rooms that will accommodate 5 people each.  Rooms for 5 are scarce in both NYC and NJ(close in to NYC) and should be booked a year out.  Chances are you will need to call hotels directly to see what they can offer you.  The NJ hotels currently offering park cruise packages for the Manhattan cruise port are the Hilton Gardens  and Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park and the Fairfield Inn in North Bergen.