Flam Question

xcal185

I was wondering if the  Flam train ride and the Panorama Bus ride  were both basically the same route and if I would see the same sites, or if they were completely different routes.

Would you recommend one over the other ?

Thanks

IMO two very different experiences, routes and views.

Bus from Flåm via Aurland to the Stegastein Viewpoint 650 meters above the sea with a panorama view of the Fjord and the mountains.
Train is offering a beautiful views of the countryside, river and mountains and a short stop at a waterfall - and Myrdal 867 m above sea level.

I’ll suggest the view points at Geiranger Your other topic)  and the train in Flåm.

hallasm, Thank you very much for the response. Another quick question. I know we can't predict the weather, but would you prefer the morning over the afternoon? Is it typically foggy in the morning . I will be there at the beginning of October.

Thanks Again

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with Flåm in October - but personally I have always planned for the mid day departures from Flåm - expecting 'better and warmer' weather in the afternoon.

In high season most morning departures might be sold out anyway

I don't think there's a general trend that one part of the day is better than another. The only time the weather changes during the day is when a front is moving in or out, and that can happen any time.

October is well into autumn, so expect cooler temperatures. Especially out on deck of a moving ship. Statistically, October has higher rainfall, but when visiting the fjords, you should always plan for rain and just enjoy when it's clear!

• 1 month later...

I need some help with excursion options in Flam. I am cruising on the 350 passenger Aegean Odyssey and will be in Flam on July 22 from 8 am to 6 pm. Most excursions are included on this ship. While I don't currently have timing information, in Flam we have a choice of 2 excursions, both defined as half day, as follows:

The Spectacular Flam Railway

Its route may run for just twelve miles, but the standard-gauge Flåm Railway is a masterpiece of engineering which climbs to approximately 2,845ft above sea level, traversing four levels of mountainous zigzagging track and passing through twenty tunnels, making it arguably the most dramatic train ride in Europe and one of the most beautiful in the world.

The coaches are fully enclosed to protect you from the elements and have elegant wooden interiors with comfortable seating. Throughout the journey you will be accompanied by a local guide who will provide plenty of information about your surroundings as well as historical facts concerning the railway and its extraordinary process of construction during the 1920s and 1930s.

After boarding your carriage in the village of Flåm, the first stage follows the salmon rich Flåm river, before the track climbs alongside the Sognefjord, which you will also cruise on board Aegean Odyssey. The route continues to switch back and forth across various rivers, so from time to time the train will proceed more slowly, stopping also at the spectacular 305ft high Kjosfossen waterfall, allowing you a better view of the magnificent scenery.

Other breathtaking sights along the way include the sheer drop of the Rjoande Waterfall and the snow-capped peak of Vibmesnosi Mountain. The end of the line is Myrdal, where the train will turn and, after a short comfort break, follow the same route back to Flåm.

or

STALHEIM & TVINDE WATERFALL

The journey from Flåm to Tvindefossen passes through some spectacular mountainside before arriving at the old Viking village of Gudvangen, which overlooks Nærøyfjord. As well as being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this beautiful inlet is rated the world’s number one natural heritage site by the National Geographic Society, alongside the Geirangerfjord.

From here the tour continues through the Nærøy valley, following salmon streams next to the winding Nærøy Road, to reach Tvindefossen near Voss. During the 19th-century this beautiful waterfall was immortalised by Norway’s most famous Romantic artist, Johan Christian Dahl, who painted the scene in 1830. Dahl’s work is often credited as having almost singlehandedly invented the 19th-century Norwegian tourist industry, when visitors travelled from far and wide to see for themselves the natural wonders he had painted.

The route then continues to Oppheim Lake, before passing through rustic farmland to arrive at the Stalheim Hotel for high tea overlooking the Nærøyvalley. Standing near the cliff-edge to admire the 937 metre-high mountain known as the Jordalsnuten, or Sugar-lump, is a truly unforgettable moment at what is considered by many to be one of the most glorious and impressive locations in the world.

The tour then descends along Norway’s steepest road, the Stalheimskleiven, which has nineteen hairpins, making for a dramatic return to Aegean Odyssey in Flåm.

I would very much like to do the Flam railway, but I don't know about the other excursion. If that is highly recommended, I might try to see whether I can do the railway in the afternoon, after we get back from what I assume will be a morning excursion. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by gnome12

Hi gnome12, I have just looked at the Flamsbana railway and there are several trains available in the 22nd July. This may help you plan as it gives times available. It will no doubt be cheaper than ship excursions.

6 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi gnome12, I have just looked at the Flamsbana railway and there are several trains available in the 22nd July. This may help you plan as it gives times available. It will no doubt be cheaper than ship excursions.

Thank you. My ship excursions are included (either of the 2 that I listed). I'm looking for someone to help me decide whether the alternate tour (not the Flamsbana) is something that I should see. If it is, then I will look at doing the Flamsbana by myself in the afternoon. It looks like I could do this as long as I could make the 14:50 departure. Now I need to know whether the other excursion is worth it.

Edited by gnome12

Personally I have not done the Stalheim and waterfall but I would choose this as it has so much included.  I have done the Flamsbana but was a little disappointed as we have done other railway trips in other countries that were much more spectacular. Only my personal opinion!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, herbshopgirl said:

Does anyone know how far train station is from where the ships dock in Flam?

Same location- less than 5 minutes walk.

- time wise you need to know if your ship is docked or tendering.