Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

Hey Jim - enjoyed your thread on the Millennium and happy to find you over here.  We just booked a B2B on the Millie in May (big price drop) to see what it is really like.  We were on the Edge for 10 days - but wish it were only 3.  Hope they aren't spoiling the rest of the fleet.  Yes, there were a few nice things about the Edge but for us, mostly not.  :classic_sad:

Wow I love these videos. When I first heard that X ships were undergoing a "revolution" I didn't think it could be all that extensive since it was just around 5 weeks in dry dock. Now that I see the armies of workers (doing interior and exterior work too!) I am amazed at how they schedule and orchestrate the order and manage the chaos. It's really impressive. We're on Equinox in July post revolution, and personally, I don't mind the new color scheme. I'll be interested to see how it all feels once on board. Thanks for all these posts!

9 hours ago, yvrdave said:

Hey Jim - enjoyed your thread on the Millennium and happy to find you over here.  We just booked a B2B on the Millie in May (big price drop) to see what it is really like.  We were on the Edge for 10 days - but wish it were only 3.  Hope they aren't spoiling the rest of the fleet.  Yes, there were a few nice things about the Edge but for us, mostly not.  :classic_sad:

Will be interesting to experience ourselves.   I love the color and decor.  Actually it is the same pallet that our designer chose for a remodel of one of our rentals.  

We will be doing a B2B on Edge at the end of the season with a Greek Cruise married with the West Bound Transatlantic.   After about a month on board I guess I will be able to say we love it or hate it.   I can't complain about the rates as we booked on day one and prices on a CS has more than doubled since we booked.  Would I pay the current rate, probably not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will be interesting to experience ourselves.   I love the color and decor.  Actually it is the same pallet that our designer chose for a remodel of one of our rentals.  

We will be doing a B2B on Edge at the end of the season with a Greek Cruise married with the West Bound Transatlantic.   After about a month on board I guess I will be able to say we love it or hate it.   I can't complain about the rates as we booked on day one and prices on a CS has more than doubled since we booked.  Would I pay the current rate, probably not.

IMHO, Celebrity is trying hard to go upscale as much as they can.  If you're in a suite - great!  We're Elite Plus and during happy hour it was difficult to get drinks in the Grand Plaza.  So many people and only 2 bar tenders - if you could get to the bar.  However, back then we could go to early dinner and have our drinks there but I hear that has been cancelled.  You now go to "The Club", which is a nothing special room with no windows, to get your drinks and meet other Elites.  It's nothing like the Sky Lounges on other ships.  The special nice place on Edge is Eden which has strange entertainment but no happy hour drinks for Elites.  I've also read that the music/bands has been improved.  The main 4 restaurants were OK and we tried them all and  found we liked Tuscany the best.  Hope you enjoy!

26 minutes ago, yvrdave said:

IMHO, Celebrity is trying hard to go upscale as much as they can.  If you're in a suite - great!  We're Elite Plus and during happy hour it was difficult to get drinks in the Grand Plaza.  So many people and only 2 bar tenders - if you could get to the bar.  However, back then we could go to early dinner and have our drinks there but I hear that has been cancelled.  You now go to "The Club", which is a nothing special room with no windows, to get your drinks and meet other Elites.  It's nothing like the Sky Lounges on other ships.  The special nice place on Edge is Eden which has strange entertainment but no happy hour drinks for Elites.  I've also read that the music/bands has been improved.  The main 4 restaurants were OK and we tried them all and  found we liked Tuscany the best.  Hope you enjoy!

Since I also sailed the EDGE in December and am Elite Plus, I can agree with just about everything you said except that I did enjoy the 4 MDR's  but Tuscany was my last favorite. To each his own. 

I do think if you cruise in a suite on the EDGE, it is a TOTALLY different experience and I also think some things like music in the Grand plaza have improved reading recent reviews. But there is nothing  X can do about the infinite balcony aka  the oceanview with a window that lowers. (I know some people like it, but the majority do not.)

However, the Club does remind me of places I went to when I was quite young and just of legal age to drink. Mainly dark nd dingy. I did not find the Club inviting at all and I so missed the Sky Lounge..  And I kept thinking, who is going to relax in those brown chaises in the Club?  Not great layout of seating by the bar area at all IMO.

This is why I think I'll be sticking with the M and S class ships for now. At least the updates to those ships are not taking away true balconies, the Sky Lounge, Rendevous Lounge, and hopefully, not the Ensemble Lounge.  

I would love to be able to afford a suite each time I cruise, as I do enjoy Michaels Club/ Luminae, but then I would be. cruising a whole lot less.

i know some will not agree with me, but this is just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also stick to the M- and S- Class ships for the time beeing- for all the reasons I read from those who sailed with Edge

After leaving X 5 years ago- i come back in April for TA on Silhouette- and really look forward to it and go with an open mind. Cunard Line really does it for me- but I know well that Cunard is not everyone´s kind of shoe!

Much more the classic cruise experience- calm, many many nooks and cranys to read in - while watching the ocean- there are no rooms without big portholes or windows on board the Queens. So with every twist and turn one is connected to the sea- kind of! No dark and dingy indoor venues like on those new ships- no matter what line!

So thanks for the Summit Revolution Thread- something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue for the new look. LOL! Great that they keep them up!

5 hours ago, ecslady said:

Since I also sailed the EDGE in December and am Elite Plus, I can agree with just about everything you said except that I did enjoy the 4 MDR's  but Tuscany was my last favorite. To each his own. 

I do think if you cruise in a suite on the EDGE, it is a TOTALLY different experience and I also think some things like music in the Grand plaza have improved reading recent reviews. But there is nothing  X can do about the infinite balcony aka  the oceanview with a window that lowers. (I know some people like it, but the majority do not.)

However, the Club does remind me of places I went to when I was quite young and just of legal age to drink. Mainly dark nd dingy. I did not find the Club inviting at all and I so missed the Sky Lounge..  And I kept thinking, who is going to relax in those brown chaises in the Club?  Not great layout of seating by the bar area at all IMO.

This is why I think I'll be sticking with the M and S class ships for now. At least the updates to those ships are not taking away true balconies, the Sky Lounge, Rendevous Lounge, and hopefully, not the Ensemble Lounge.  

I would love to be able to afford a suite each time I cruise, as I do enjoy Michaels Club/ Luminae, but then I would be. cruising a whole lot less.

So agree with this review. Hope X reads it. Worried about S class.

5 hours ago, ecslady said:

Hi ecslady,

Your are completely right, I meant to say Normandy restaurant was our favorite, not Tuscany.  (Got my languages mixed up.)  Thanks for noticing my mistake and I do agree with all your comments.  We are hopeful we'll enjoy the new Millennium in May.

By the way we'll be over your way in the fall going on the Adventure OTS and staying downtown NJC.  Great area with so much to see.  Also a chance to visit my cousin nearby. 

Dave

We switched some years ago from Cunard to Celebrity M class. Found similarities.   Loved the Summit.  Since then with  X cutbacks, things are not the same. We cruise on Summit in May.  New look seems more IKEA than a classic ambiance. If not pleased. May go back to Cunard next year. 

• Like 1

We enjoyed a short cruise on Cunard QM 2..had many positives but we are more comfy with X 

We have one more EDGE booking  and  booked Summit  for the US  east coast/ Bermuda  itin .  Looking at S Class next.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We enjoyed a short cruise on Cunard QM 2..had many positives but we are more comfy with X 

We have one more EDGE booking  and  booked Summit  for the US  east coast/ Bermuda  itin .  Looking at S Class next.

When are you doing Bermuda, we are going Aug. 25 and got a Royal Suite.

15 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

When are you doing Bermuda, we are going Aug. 25 and got a Royal Suite.

Not til 2020..it's the 9/10 day to Newport  Bermuda and Charleston ..Rt Bayonne..

Enjoy that RS...!

On 3/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, citygirl said:

thanks SO much for this thread.... we are not frequent cruisers (maybe every 5-7 years) but my husband enjoys the friends of Bill meetings each night, now that they are removing the library , does anyone know if there is any chance they are also removing the meetings each day?

@citygirl it has been years since we have cruised and I has been concerned that they stopped these meetings...so I was encouraged when I saw your post...my last cruise I guess there were not that many Friends of Bill on the ship bc no one ever showed up for any of the meetings...I am hoping that is different when we go 

11 minutes ago, jchipgcs said:

Never shared photos on here before so I hope this works.  Looks like an empty room with the new wall paneling in one image and the theater seat change out going on, on the Summit.

Image 3-13-19 at 7.27 PM.jpg

Image 3-13-19 at 7.28 PM.jpg

Interesting shot of the theater.  Millennium looked like they kept the seats with the small tables like those lower in this shot.

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

Is it just me, or are we getting less pictures of the Summit during dry dock than the Millenium?

So far you are correct.  I have been searching and there just aren't many being posted.  

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Interesting shot of the theater.  Millennium looked like they kept the seats with the small tables like those lower in this shot.

Yes, it looks like a lot more is going on in the theater.  Isn’t this dry dock longer than Millie?