Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, Blue_Flame said:

Hi Jazzbo. We were the ones two doors down from you and yes, we have 4 hooks on the bathroom door. Maybe they are in the process of installing them? But I did see some other cabins on the crawl with no hooks so you were not alone. 

And here was my solution to my shoulder bag: I just opened one of the glass cabinet doors and hung it there. 

image.jpg

Just booked the Summit three days ago for an August Bermuda sailing. As someone who tends to be somewhat OCD when it comes to keeping the cabin neat with all my clothing folded and put away neatly and a husband who always doesn't, these glass doors are going to drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Airspeed said:

Ditto. Post -modernism (1950s and 60s, post-Bauhaus) was all about form follows function, not the other way around. Modern design and functionality do not havev to be in conflict,  in fact good design is not gimmicky. But you will notice that good modern design blends well with traditional surroundings. A Barcelona chair (Miehs van der Rohe) would look stunning on the original wooden parquet flooring the Penthouse Suite on the Summit had....

Yes, it would.  But, alas, that timeless flooring is no more.  What is really sad is that they destroyed all the beautiful mosaics in the entry.  Now there is nothing but grey floor, gray wall, and a piece of banal artwork.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Just booked the Summit three days ago for an August Bermuda sailing. As someone who tends to be somewhat OCD when it comes to keeping the cabin neat with all my clothing folded and put away neatly and a husband who always doesn't, these glass doors are going to drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

🤣 I don’t think think the stewards will be too thrilled either with all the glass smears and handprints they will be constantly wiping off!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, happy cruzer said:

What is considered an entree?  I think read that only one entree is allowed.

So only one choice From the Sea or Butcher cuts? Pizza or the homemade pastas are considered what? 

Multiples from the others?

Looks confusing about the multiples allowed.  Menu looks interesting otherwise.  Thanks.

Use the Research tab at the top of the CC page and select Ship then Celebrity Summit for a nice handfull of actual reviews of the Summit since changes.  Most are positive.

A lot of people keep grumbling about the changes, but from what I see almost all are positive and for the better.  I don't like the Sky Suites, but then I never liked the Sky Suites so that's a wash.  The important changes are for the standard staterooms and public areas - and all of those are dramatic improvements.  For those who don't like the Penthouse changes, I completely understand their disappointment when they're forking over that kind of cash.  That being said, I think they look way better now for what it's worth.

• Like 2

It seems like many of the changes to the furniture and room layouts are to give the impression of more space in the cabin and balcony. These are standard tricks of the interior decorator trade to make a space feel more open:

1. Remove foot stools on the balcony.
  2. Remove table on the balcony.
  3. Remove table in the room. (now being replaced due to complaints)
  4. Make the sofa in the room smaller. 
  5. Replace cabinet doors with glass. (gives the impression of more space in the room, although I like to have everything put away and out of sight to make the space feel clean)

However, if the changes are at the expense of functionality, especially compared to the expected experience of loyal cruisers, it's nothing more than a trick. I suspect Celebrity has to balance between delighting new cruisers and satisfying their loyal base.

I'll remain open until I experience the new revolutionized Equinox in July. I'm relatively new to the Celebrity fold, and my experiences on the Equinox and the Summit were so much better than Carnival and Princess, I switched my focus. However, with the exceptionally high prices on new Celebrity cruises and these big, revolutionary changes, nothing's set in stone.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

It seems like many of the changes to the furniture and room layouts are to give the impression of more space in the cabin and balcony. These are standard tricks of the interior decorator trade to make a space feel more open:

1. Remove foot stools on the balcony.
  2. Remove table on the balcony.
  3. Remove table in the room. (now being replaced due to complaints)
  4. Make the sofa in the room smaller. 
  5. Replace cabinet doors with glass. (gives the impression of more space in the room, although I like to have everything put away and out of sight to make the space feel clean)

However, if the changes are at the expense of functionality, especially compared to the expected experience of loyal cruisers, it's nothing more than a trick. I suspect Celebrity has to balance between delighting new cruisers and satisfying their loyal base.

I'll remain open until I experience the new revolutionized Equinox in July. I'm relatively new to the Celebrity fold, and my experiences on the Equinox and the Summit were so much better than Carnival and Princess, I switched my focus. However, with the exceptionally high prices on new Celebrity cruises and these big, revolutionary changes, nothing's set in stone.

We prefer the old cozy look over this new look, any day! The new look, looks like a dorm room. We are still looking forward to our future cruises. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We prefer the old cozy look over this new look, any day! The new look, looks like a dorm room. We are still looking forward to our future cruises. 

I agree..but   then again , our dtrs dorm was much nicer and had  comfortable, sturdy furniture built to last!  Students decorated nicer too..usually with a small budget. Not sure where this style is popular??? Hostels? 

We did okay on EDGE,  but other than the bathroom,  it was a sparse, uncozy cabin!  With it being small, I  guess less was better as mentioned above.

We are mainly  using Summit to get from one port to another  ( Newport, Bermuda Charleston) , similar to  when we  took the Pacific Coastal  cruise on Infinity. Anything special on the ship will be a bonus!

Just off the Summit and stayed in a accessible veranda on deck 6. The room was beautiful. Plenty of storage for the three of us. The room was bright and airy and the bed was very comfortable. I think Celebrity did a great job with the refurb and I would take the new rooms over the old ones any day. We were on the summit two years ago and the rooms were dark and desperately needed a redo. The rest of the ship was also done beautifully. The lounge outside the main dining room is now much lighter and we actually went to it this time. On our past cruise we would walk right through it because it felt so dark and old fashioned. Dining room was done tastefully and the larger chairs make an impression . Our table did not have any of the new chairs but we were in the middle of the dining room and had a beautiful view of the back of the ship and especially on our last night when the full moon shined over the dining room. Could not of asked for a better vacation. Staff were amazing and we can't wait to cruise the summit again.

• Like 8

On 4/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Really good design is also functional.  The two need not be mutually exclusive.  We're not talking clothing here, we're talking furniture.

Key words, "really good".   There is a lot of emphasis placed on design that is purely for visual appeal, and not practicality or functionality.   This might not be considered "really good" by the masses, but that doesn't stop the designers from liking it and continuing their practice. 

Any hope the tables will be back in the cabins by the end of May for our cruise? 

I understand the updates to the public areas are very nice and much needed, will see for myself next month, but not too crazy about changes to the cabins, i.e., less hanging closet space, no doors on the lower bathroom cabinets (who wants to use towels, etc. that are on an open shelf next to the toilet?), chair instead of couch, end tables that are a foot away from the bed (hoping I can move them closer), and sharp corners on the tabletops and cabinets (the prior wood furniture had rounded covers which are less of a safety hazard).  Not crazy about the glass shelves either, like it has been said, will look messy. 

23 minutes ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Can anyone who has been on the Summit post-revolution tell me whether the new mini-fridges keep stuff cold?

Thanks.

Ours didn't.  Drinks were luke warm.  On day 3, we were brought a mini birthday cake and weren't hungry so we put it in the fridge.  We totally forgot about it and when we were packing and cleaning up we found the cake was all moldy and had things growing on it.  Eeek.  

8 hours ago, zdad59 said:

You all have until Feb 15, 2020 to get all the kinks worked out.    Make especially sure the Deck 9, starboard Aqua Class rooms are all up to snuff.

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

We're on that cruise too! 😄

14 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Ours didn't.  Drinks were luke warm.  On day 3, we were brought a mini birthday cake and weren't hungry so we put it in the fridge.  We totally forgot about it and when we were packing and cleaning up we found the cake was all moldy and had things growing on it.  Eeek.  

15 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Can anyone who has been on the Summit post-revolution tell me whether the new mini-fridges keep stuff cold?

Thanks.

I found the fridge worked great! I asked our room attendant to remove all the "for cost" items and we were able to keep our soda and water very cold.

11 minutes ago, jhophop said:

I found the fridge worked great! I asked our room attendant to remove all the "for cost" items and we were able to keep our soda and water very cold.

Our fridge worked great as well.  We also used it to store excess water and Diet Cokes for our own use at night.  Happy to have it!  🙂

15 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Thanks.

It kept things cool, but not cold.  We put waters in there just to cool them down a little from room temp.  If you have medications that need refrigeration, I would consider something else.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 10:40 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I suspect not at all well.

From my perspective having utilized it, the furniture is systems type, which is pretty much what was there before, and I’d expect to last just as well as anything before it and in any other of the ships. 

None of it felt poorly made or flimsy. It seemed quite durable. Doors and draws were quite solid when opened and closed. Nothing felt cheaply or poorly made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elaineb said:

It kept things cool, but not cold.  We put waters in there just to cool them down a little from room temp.  If you have medications that need refrigeration, I would consider something else.

I don’t think the minis are new. Our was very warm, we didn’t use it at all. 

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

From my perspective having utilized it, the furniture is systems type, which is pretty much what was there before, and I’d expect to last just as well as anything before it and in any other of the ships. 

None of it felt poorly made or flimsy. It seemed quite durable. Doors and draws were quite solid when opened and closed. Nothing felt cheaply or poorly made. 

You experienced it so I accept your assessment .

I am not familiar with "systems type" furniture.... but it does not look appealing.. more dorm or hostel or basic office cubicle look... ..

I recall Summit having nice sturdy furniture and storage,   which over time did feel dated...hoped for something more upscale in the reno...but if it works for a week or two, no issue!