Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jim_Iain

Summit Revolution

Recommended Posts

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions for the mini fridges. 

Been land locked for two years,  really looking forward to cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, hcat said:

You experienced it so I accept your assessment .

 I am not familiar with "systems type" furniture.... but it does not look appealing.. more dorm or hostel or basic office cubicle look... ..

 

I recall Summit having nice sturdy furniture and storage,   which over time did feel dated...hoped for something more upscale in the reno...but if it works for a week or two, no issue! 

 

Systems furnitue as you recognize it like office cube, in this instance it seems like office cube more than it did before due to finishes I suspect, but the upside is much more drawer space IMO. You will be OK I feel. You might be inclined to think functionality is pretty good too once you utilize. Circulation space inside cabin is pretty good. 

 

Came home with pneumonia, still recovering. Still trying to find a now-to get video uploaded of fitness equipment for you but brain is still a bit foggy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, MizDemeanor said:

 

From my perspective having utilized it, the furniture is systems type, which is pretty much what was there before, and I’d expect to last just as well as anything before it and in any other of the ships. 

 

None of it felt poorly made or flimsy. It seemed quite durable. Doors and draws were quite solid when opened and closed. Nothing felt cheaply or poorly made. 

 

 

 

 

 

As someone else who has been on the ship for a week and utilized it, I wholeheartedly agree.

 

I have never stayed in a more functional cruise ship stateroom. Period. Doors and drawers were solid. Just because doors are made of wood doesn't make the closet more durable. I was on a Norwegian ship with solid wood doors held by failing hinges. That wasn't durable at all.

 

The changes are more incremental than most people think. The table and shelves are a little more open, but offer the same storage space. We had drawers that we never even used. Glass was tinted enough subdue anything behind it. The colors are more neutral, but don't feel any colder than before. I found the colors refreshing. There was enough wood to make the room warm, yet not so overstated that it felt like paneling from the 1970s.

 

The last time I was on the Infinity, the furniture was still designed to support an old, deep, tube-based TV. Nothing says "dated" more than putting a flat-screen TV in a space designed to be filled by a tube-based TV. That's no longer the case on the Summit. Every piece has its purpose. 

 

The desk and chair were solid. We brought the chair in and out from the balcony numerous times. From other posts I have read here, the new balcony railing is made of a material that resists salt much better than varnished wood.

 

There was a table on the balcony, but not in the room. I always found room tables between the desk and sofa to be a bit awkward. They are a great place to put the room service tray, but other than that, I found they just get in the way. It's tough to find an out of the way place to put that table when you want to use the space for other things.

 

The bathroom was excellent. The shower had a door instead of a curtain. The walls were a laminate material that looks marble-like, but has a warmth and texture that marble lacks.

 

The cruise I was on wasn't perfect. Bar service wasn't that great, probably because so many people are on drink packages now. Teen programming could use some attention. Entertainment seemed to be more of a time filler than something to write home about. However, the small stateroom was the most practical and attractive I have ever experienced.

Edited by MightyMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the encouraging writing of the sturdyness of the furniture.  It doesn't look it so good to know it will hold up.

Will be onboard in a month, so really looking forward to the updates in the public areas.  Not sure all room changes are good but will see for myself soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travelingsister said:

I will be staying in a concierge room in August 2019.  Can anyone tell me if there is a full length mirror anywhere in that type room.  Thanks.

 

Yes, there is a full length mirror on the inside door of the full length closet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 8:08 PM, MizDemeanor said:

Hcat, finally. Happy Friday. 

Thank you,..great video.. New  and clean..  We use many of these.. not all on the same day.. but on a 10 day cruise we will keep busy,

 

They look like  the ones on EDGE..seats were a bit uncomfy..probably need to break in a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time.,..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, MizDemeanor said:

 

Systems furnitue as you recognize it like office cube, in this instance it seems like office cube more than it did before due to finishes I suspect, but the upside is much more drawer space IMO. You will be OK I feel. You might be inclined to think functionality is pretty good too once you utilize. Circulation space inside cabin is pretty good. 

 

Came home with pneumonia, still recovering. Still trying to find a now-to get video uploaded of fitness equipment for you but brain is still a bit foggy. 

 

 I think storage space will be okay..But I prefer closet space to open shelves and glass faced cubbies.  Most of our clothing hangs.  Our  Summit cruise is port intensive  so we may be more casually dressed than usual.. 

 

Pneumonia is serious...hope you recover soon.  Did you get sick on the ship? Take care of yourself,..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, MightyMike said:

 

As someone else who has been on the ship for a week and utilized it, I wholeheartedly agree.

 

I have never stayed in a more functional cruise ship stateroom. Period. Doors and drawers were solid. Just because doors are made of wood doesn't make the closet more durable. I was on a Norwegian ship with solid wood doors held by failing hinges. That wasn't durable at all.

 

The changes are more incremental than most people think. The table and shelves are a little more open, but offer the same storage space. We had drawers that we never even used. Glass was tinted enough subdue anything behind it. The colors are more neutral, but don't feel any colder than before. I found the colors refreshing. There was enough wood to make the room warm, yet not so overstated that it felt like paneling from the 1970s.

 

The last time I was on the Infinity, the furniture was still designed to support an old, deep, tube-based TV. Nothing says "dated" more than putting a flat-screen TV in a space designed to be filled by a tube-based TV. That's no longer the case on the Summit. Every piece has its purpose. 

 

The desk and chair were solid. We brought the chair in and out from the balcony numerous times. From other posts I have read here, the new balcony railing is made of a material that resists salt much better than varnished wood.

 

There was a table on the balcony, but not in the room. I always found room tables between the desk and sofa to be a bit awkward. They are a great place to put the room service tray, but other than that, I found they just get in the way. It's tough to find an out of the way place to put that table when you want to use the space for other things.

 

The bathroom was excellent. The shower had a door instead of a curtain. The walls were a laminate material that looks marble-like, but has a warmth and texture that marble lacks.

 

The cruise I was on wasn't perfect. Bar service wasn't that great, probably because so many people are on drink packages now. Teen programming could use some attention. Entertainment seemed to be more of a time filler than something to write home about. However, the small stateroom was the most practical and attractive I have ever experienced.

Thanks for the descriptive and encouraging post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the April 2020 Summit out of San Juan. The departure time is listed as 8pm. Does anyone know what time we can actually get on the ship? We are in the Penthouse Suite if that makes a difference. We are trying to figure out if we have a place to put our luggage if we fly in on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

We are on the April 2020 Summit out of San Juan. The departure time is listed as 8pm. Does anyone know what time we can actually get on the ship? We are in the Penthouse Suite if that makes a difference. We are trying to figure out if we have a place to put our luggage if we fly in on Saturday.

I was on the 4/20 sailing in the Penthouse as well and we arrived at the pier just after 11am.  Dropped our luggage at the Special Delivery sign and walked right through security and up to the desk to check in.  We were then escorted by the suite concierge to drop our carryon luggage in the suite and look around.  We then looked around the ship before having lunch in Luminae, which opened at 12.  It couldn't have been easier!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texswamper said:

I was on the 4/20 sailing in the Penthouse as well and we arrived at the pier just after 11am.  Dropped our luggage at the Special Delivery sign and walked right through security and up to the desk to check in.  We were then escorted by the suite concierge to drop our carryon luggage in the suite and look around.  We then looked around the ship before having lunch in Luminae, which opened at 12.  It couldn't have been easier!  

Thanks for the information! I am assuming that we can go on and off the ship while in port then? We want to drop off our bags and explore Old San Juan. Would be nice to do so that we don't have to go the night before and get a hotel room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

Thanks for the information! I am assuming that we can go on and off the ship while in port then? We want to drop off our bags and explore Old San Juan. Would be nice to do so that we don't have to go the night before and get a hotel room.

 

Celebrity does not dock at the Old San Juan pier.  You would need to grab a cab or order an Uber to go to Old San Juan - or anything really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

 

Celebrity does not dock at the Old San Juan pier.  You would need to grab a cab or order an Uber to go to Old San Juan - or anything really.

WOW thanks for that info! I am so glad I asked. I assumed it was at the other pier. That changes my plans somewhat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

 

Celebrity does not dock at the Old San Juan pier.  You would need to grab a cab or order an Uber to go to Old San Juan - or anything really.

Wha? Where do they dock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

 

Celebrity does not dock at the Old San Juan pier.  You would need to grab a cab or order an Uber to go to Old San Juan - or anything really.

Is it ALL Celebrity, or just the Summit?  I've been to SJ on 7n Eastern cruises from Florida, and they stopped at the Old San Juan pier.  

 

Edit:

Found this site with helpful info: https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/cruises/

Sounds like cruises that originate from San Juan use the Pan American Terminal, where cruises in transit generally use the Old San Juan piers.  

 

 

Edited by D C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it's a port stop, they use the Old San Juan pier.  However, the Summit embarks from San Juan and they use the other one.

Edited by bEwAbG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 5:29 AM, texswamper said:

I was on the 4/20 sailing in the Penthouse as well and we arrived at the pier just after 11am.  Dropped our luggage at the Special Delivery sign and walked right through security and up to the desk to check in.  We were then escorted by the suite concierge to drop our carryon luggage in the suite and look around.  We then looked around the ship before having lunch in Luminae, which opened at 12.  It couldn't have been easier!  

Texswamper or Anyone else - do you have any revolution pics of the penthouse you could share or anything we should know going in?  This is my first time on Celebrity.  We usually cruise NCL in the Haven and don't have a lot of insight of what to expect in the Penthouse on Celebrity or the Retreat. Obviously, this thread has been mixed with reviews, but I like the look of the renovation and hope that some of the suggestions have been taken into consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

WOW thanks for that info! I am so glad I asked. I assumed it was at the other pier. That changes my plans somewhat. 

Still close enough to Old San Juan,  and there will be plenty of taxis to take you there.  Just plan to go back to the ship on time for the muster drill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

Texswamper or Anyone else - do you have any revolution pics of the penthouse you could share or anything we should know going in?  This is my first time on Celebrity.  We usually cruise NCL in the Haven and don't have a lot of insight of what to expect in the Penthouse on Celebrity or the Retreat. Obviously, this thread has been mixed with reviews, but I like the look of the renovation and hope that some of the suggestions have been taken into consideration. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the video,  it is very comprehensive....

Very annoying background music but shows so much of the ship,  looks wonderful. Nice to see many fav areas remain but are  re done & refreshed! A bit monochromatic but  very clean looking. Hope AC and other systems work well.

 

Hope to book Tuscan, Sushi  and Q sine...if it stays Q sine,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having sailed on the Edge, I must say the new furniture is cheesy.  Also, not comfortable.  The best part of the renovation was the suite deck.  I know, no pool on the Summit in the Suite area,  But it was tiny on the Edge, the hot tub is great, as is the private lounge and seating.  The Sky Suites, lack seating for dining in your suite on the edge.  

 

Hope that they modify the furniture and design for the other ships.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

Texswamper or Anyone else - do you have any revolution pics of the penthouse you could share or anything we should know going in?  This is my first time on Celebrity.  We usually cruise NCL in the Haven and don't have a lot of insight of what to expect in the Penthouse on Celebrity or the Retreat. Obviously, this thread has been mixed with reviews, but I like the look of the renovation and hope that some of the suggestions have been taken into consideration. 

This was my first time on Celebrity as well & have never sailed on NCL but only Princess, RCCL and Windstar.  I can't really give tons of insight as to the ins and outs of the ship because honestly, we just thoroughly enjoyed the suite by eating breakfast in everyday and almost every dinner.  We did go to Qsine one night, but ordered from Tuscan Grille the other nights.  We did go to the shows, but never went to the Retreat, except to look at it the first day, the Retreat lounge or the pool deck.  I was on a girl's trip with my sister & cousin, so we just enjoyed spending time on our deck & enjoying the space unless we were off the ship in port.  The space in the suite is heavenly but some of the furnishings that were chosen were not comfortable, like the chairs/sofa in the living room but it certainly didn't keep us from enjoying it everyday and I would love to do it again!  Service was top notch for sure from the butler, cabin steward and the entire suites crew! I have 2 other videos of the suite that were taken on embarkation day if you'd like to see them.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...