Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jim_Iain

Summit Revolution

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, texswamper said:

 I have 2 other videos of the suite that were taken on embarkation day if you'd like to see them. 🙂

IMG_1965.MOV

 We would all love to see more.  Please post them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, texswamper said:

Yes, all 3 of us had the monogrammed bathrobes waiting for us in the suite.  A really nice touch!  

Since they took out the dressing table, where do you do your hair/makeup? Was there a makeup mirror anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting those videos.

 

In the first one with the living room and deck, I am amazed that I counted over 30 chachkies/vases/coral.  That's not even counting the one's in bedroom and bathrooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Disfan5 said:

Thanks for posting those videos.

 

In the first one with the living room and deck, I am amazed that I counted over 30 chachkies/vases/coral.  That's not even counting the one's in bedroom and bathrooms.

I noticed all that junk too...you beat me to it. I found it very busy and unimaginative, devoid of color...of course!

 

  That  stuff will get chipped  and dusty in short order. We had our attendant get rid of the faux bleached coral and  the no water vase from our AQ room...but what can you do with all that stuff?   Real plants will need water and care...fake ones collect dust and eventually turn color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Disfan5 said:

Thanks for posting those videos.

 

In the first one with the living room and deck, I am amazed that I counted over 30 chachkies/vases/coral.  That's not even counting the one's in bedroom and bathrooms.

 

You are very welcome.  Honestly, the most in the way "decor" were those 2 giant bowls of coral on the dining table!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, texswamper said:

Yes, all 3 of us had the monogrammed bathrobes waiting for us in the suite.  A really nice touch!  

Were you able to keep them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Were you able to keep them?

 

 

Oh yes, so make sure you have a little extra room in your luggage!  They are sized XL, so way oversized but very nice quality and of course, gray lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Disfan5 said:

In the first one with the living room and deck, I am amazed that I counted over 30 chachkies/vases/coral.  That's not even counting the one's in bedroom and bathrooms.

 

A lot of knick knacks...

 

Certainly all of the trays and stuff that will gather dust.... and lack of true storage will become an issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

 

A lot of knick knacks...

 

Certainly all of the trays and stuff that will gather dust.... and lack of true storage will become an issue

 

There is actually quite a lot of storage.  We had 3 adults in the suite and didn't come close to needing a place to store something out of the way.  However, all of the stuff sitting around on tables, etc. was definitely in the way lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again I am new to Celebrity and I am very much looking forward to our cruise. We are in the penthouse suite and my daughter and her family have booked the adjoining sky suite.  Most of our cruises have been on Norwegian in the haven suites either deluxe owner suites, owner suites, two bedroom suites etc. However I have never heard or read so much negativity or complaints about a suite or rooms that people have not even been on, that it makes me question the type of people  that go on Celebrity  cruises. If you want everyone the same and everything to stay the same forever then stay at home. Times change, people change and if the cruise line is going to continue to flourish they need to attract younger people such as my 30-year-old daughter and her family. If you want dated furniture and old wood looks then go on the titanic or stop complaining until you at least see it for yourselves! You are all complaining about stuff you never saw or experienced. Knick knacks and tchotchkes are your complaints???!!! Either move the tchotchkes that bother you or go elsewhere.  We are all fortunate enough to be able to afford to go on these amazing vacations and we should look at them as adventures. Closet space? Hooks? Coral? REALLY? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbies and experienced X suite  cruisers are  ALL  entitled to express themselves here as far as I know,   No need to lecture or  decide for others!

 

BTW,  we experienced a sampling  of the  Knick knacks ( think flea market)   & Hoppen pillows on EDGE...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

Again I am new to Celebrity and I am very much looking forward to our cruise. We are in the penthouse suite and my daughter and her family have booked the adjoining sky suite.  Most of our cruises have been on Norwegian in the haven suites either deluxe owner suites, owner suites, two bedroom suites etc. However I have never heard or read so much negativity or complaints about a suite or rooms that people have not even been on, that it makes me question the type of people  that go on Celebrity  cruises. If you want everyone the same and everything to stay the same forever then stay at home. Times change, people change and if the cruise line is going to continue to flourish they need to attract younger people such as my 30-year-old daughter and her family. If you want dated furniture and old wood looks then go on the titanic or stop complaining until you at least see it for yourselves! You are all complaining about stuff you never saw or experienced. Knick knacks and tchotchkes are your complaints???!!! Either move the tchotchkes that bother you or go elsewhere.  We are all fortunate enough to be able to afford to go on these amazing vacations and we should look at them as adventures. Closet space? Hooks? Coral? REALLY? 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion,  and I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the ship after your cruise. I've been cruising Celebrity for about 25 years, and there have been many changes along the way, some good, some not so good, especially in the level of service.  However,  we still love Celebrity and it remains our favorite cruise line.  I haven't voiced my opinions on the changes, but I do have a few concerns.  We don't sail in suites, but do have a concierge cabin booked for our August cruise.  I booked concierge for two reasons. One is for the footstools on the balcony.  After ankle surgery,  it is helpful to prop my foot up after a long day in port. From what I've read, the footstools are gone. This is not a deal breaker.  I'll just take a beach ball to use to prop up my foot. The other reason is that we like to have breakfast on the balcony. Concierge has the expanded breakfast menu (or it has in the past). However, looking at the dinky balcony table,  I don't know how we'll manage to eat on it, so for these reasons, I'm somewhat disappointed.  I think that a lot of the renovations have certainly been an improvement,  and I'm sure that we will have a great cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been on Summit 5 times and we just booked for 2 more cruises next year.  Other than Cunard's QM2, Summit is our favorite  ship.  Others  like us in non-suites have always had certain conveniences (like in-cabin tables, adequate hanging space in closets) in our cabins which are now gone.  The beautiful green marble bathrooms in suites and tiled floors are gone, too.  Most updates in public areas are quite nice and beautiful.  Fortunately, our cabin did not have the dreaded kotshkes.  Cabins (can only speak for Concierge) were outdated before upgrade, but now looks like IKEA or college dorm room decor.  We expected better from Celebrity.  The new beds are great.  The ambiance and crew aboard the Summit are wonderful.   Enjoy your cruise.  Bon Voyage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, MightyMike said:

 

As someone else who has been on the ship for a week and utilized it, I wholeheartedly agree.

 

I have never stayed in a more functional cruise ship stateroom. Period. Doors and drawers were solid. Just because doors are made of wood doesn't make the closet more durable. I was on a Norwegian ship with solid wood doors held by failing hinges. That wasn't durable at all.

 

The changes are more incremental than most people think. The table and shelves are a little more open, but offer the same storage space. We had drawers that we never even used. Glass was tinted enough subdue anything behind it. The colors are more neutral, but don't feel any colder than before. I found the colors refreshing. There was enough wood to make the room warm, yet not so overstated that it felt like paneling from the 1970s.

 

The last time I was on the Infinity, the furniture was still designed to support an old, deep, tube-based TV. Nothing says "dated" more than putting a flat-screen TV in a space designed to be filled by a tube-based TV. That's no longer the case on the Summit. Every piece has its purpose. 

 

The desk and chair were solid. We brought the chair in and out from the balcony numerous times. From other posts I have read here, the new balcony railing is made of a material that resists salt much better than varnished wood.

 

There was a table on the balcony, but not in the room. I always found room tables between the desk and sofa to be a bit awkward. They are a great place to put the room service tray, but other than that, I found they just get in the way. It's tough to find an out of the way place to put that table when you want to use the space for other things.

 

The bathroom was excellent. The shower had a door instead of a curtain. The walls were a laminate material that looks marble-like, but has a warmth and texture that marble lacks.

 

The cruise I was on wasn't perfect. Bar service wasn't that great, probably because so many people are on drink packages now. Teen programming could use some attention. Entertainment seemed to be more of a time filler than something to write home about. However, the small stateroom was the most practical and attractive I have ever experienced.

Am in one of the regular balcony cabins now and agree with your assessment.  We actually like the modern decor and find it practical.  But the lack of a table is a problem for room service meals.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caliente Cruiser said:

Again I am new to Celebrity and I am very much looking forward to our cruise. We are in the penthouse suite and my daughter and her family have booked the adjoining sky suite.  Most of our cruises have been on Norwegian in the haven suites either deluxe owner suites, owner suites, two bedroom suites etc. However I have never heard or read so much negativity or complaints about a suite or rooms that people have not even been on, that it makes me question the type of people  that go on Celebrity  cruises. If you want everyone the same and everything to stay the same forever then stay at home. Times change, people change and if the cruise line is going to continue to flourish they need to attract younger people such as my 30-year-old daughter and her family. If you want dated furniture and old wood looks then go on the titanic or stop complaining until you at least see it for yourselves! You are all complaining about stuff you never saw or experienced. Knick knacks and tchotchkes are your complaints???!!! Either move the tchotchkes that bother you or go elsewhere.  We are all fortunate enough to be able to afford to go on these amazing vacations and we should look at them as adventures. Closet space? Hooks? Coral? REALLY? 

Yes, really.  Those of us who have paid a lot of money in the past to sail in the PH in the past and have current future reservations certainly have a right to our opinion as to the "upgrades."  I have no problem with upgrades if they are actually upgrades.  To tear out a dressing table area and provide no replacement is not an upgrade, in my view.  To replace a perfectly functional table on the deck with an Ikea wannabee and milk cartons for chairs is beyond belief.  If you had ever seen the elegant entry way with its gorgeous mosaic tile floor and beautiful wall, you would see that the Hoppenization is not an upgrade.  So, you are entitled to your opinion and so are the rest of us.  Since you have not yet sailed in the suite, I'm curious as to why you have such strong opinions and feel the rest of us have no right to valid opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, really.  Those of us who have paid a lot of money in the past to sail in the PH in the past and have current future reservations certainly have a right to our opinion as to the "upgrades."  I have no problem with upgrades if they are actually upgrades.  To tear out a dressing table area and provide no replacement is not an upgrade, in my view.  To replace a perfectly functional table on the deck with an Ikea wannabee and milk cartons for chairs is beyond belief.  If you had ever seen the elegant entry way with its gorgeous mosaic tile floor and beautiful wall, you would see that the Hoppenization is not an upgrade.  So, you are entitled to your opinion and so are the rest of us.  Since you have not yet sailed in the suite, I'm curious as to why you have such strong opinions and feel the rest of us have no right to valid opinions.

Unfortunately, you seem to be wholly unable to even consider the possibility that the changes are a net positive.  Every post that you have made on this thread is completely negative, and you are correct, both you and I have the right to an opinion on this matter.  I'm curious why you are even considering going on the Summit since you already hate it so much.  If your wailing and gnashing of teeth over the refurb is going to bother you so much, you really should look at canceling out those reservations that cost a lot of money (as you continually point out), and find another ship to enjoy.  Otherwise, I fear that you will be doomed to have a bad time, based solely on your preconceived notions based on grainy photos posted on a message board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passengers Have a right to let X know that EDGERIZING of ships is it really not THAT GREAT.

WE love X , but not happy with so many changes.  People who designed it probably have never sailed before.  Scared that they may ruin the S and M ships and Celebrity needs to hear about it. Most of their loyal passengers do not want to go on another line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hatteras51 said:

  We don't sail in suites, but do have a concierge cabin booked for our August cruise.  I booked concierge for two reasons. One is for the footstools on the balcony. 

Geez.  Just tell your room steward you need a footstool and you will get one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LA_CA_GAL said:

Geez.  Just tell your room steward you need a footstool and you will get one.

 

 

Thanks so much for your delightful tone. This is exactly the reason that I hadn't mentioned this before.  Someone always comes out of the woodwork and makes some nasty comment. As I said, I'll make do. I doubt that they will have any footstools on board, anyway, but thanks so much for your helpful remarks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hatteras51 said:

Thanks so much for your delightful tone. This is exactly the reason that I hadn't mentioned this before.  Someone always comes out of the woodwork and makes some nasty comment. As I said, I'll make do. I doubt that they will have any footstools on board, anyway, but thanks so much for your helpful remarks. 

Seriously?  You were disappointed not having a footstool?

 

And all you need to do is ask your steward for one, which I suggested, and that is "nasty"?

 

OK.  Make do.  Don't ask.  Sorry for the suggestion.  My apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you seriously suggesting that Celebrity removed the footstools from Concierge cabins but stored them all onboard in a handy empty storeroom just so if a passenger asked for one the steward could go retrieve one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...