Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

Looks like M Class will be a compromise between the heavier draped look and the Spartan look on  EDGE  with no curtains.

New carpet and bedding  is good for allergy sufferers.. less dust...although I dislike the open looking cabinetry

We hope to try M and S Class after oyr next EDGE  booking..will keep us busy for awhile.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Bye.....    show your disapproval by finding a cruise line you enjoy more.

I personally love the new look and prefer it to the dark wood look of 20 years ago.   We all have our own preferences.    While no one has answered your question of the Pantry I can only assume it is still there because it still shows on the footprint of the room plan. 

Jim

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your postings on these boards. They have been very helpful to us as fellow cruisers.

I think it’s fair to say that personal preferences are just that...personal, whether or not they match those of our own. We may not like what some others have to say on these boards, but it is important that we respect the individual’s right to express their thoughts.

In my opinion, the second paragraph of your response was helpful, as it expressed your personal preference and partially assisted with a question that had not previously been answered.

The first paragraph, on the other hand bordered on being disrespectful to a fellow  cruiser and was really not necessary.

Randy

• Like 2

Randy,  

I respect your opinion.  

My remark may seem snarky but was not my intent.   The poster had posted the same comments at least 6 time that they hated the new look and they were going to cancel their xxx number of Penthouse bookings.   My intention was to express that if they hate it so much they might be better off finding a cruise line that makes them happy.  

I was becoming frustrated by someone flogging a horse to death.    Sorry if I offended you or others. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was becoming frustrated by someone flogging a horse to death.    Sorry if I offended you or others. 

I'm with you and wish that those who are doing nothing but complain would start their own thread.

Negative comments are really exhausting.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

9 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I'm with you and wish that those who are doing nothing but complain would start their own thread.

Negative comments are really exhausting.

@Jim_Iain and @PhoenixCruiser, count me in your corner as well. I'm fine with sometimes-heated debate, especially with a topic as personal and oftentimes polarizing as decor. And I get that someone who's cruised the line a lot and gotten used to particular offerings on particular ships is going to be upset if one of those things is changed or even removed, when it was something they really appreciated or even loved about the ship.

Heck, I'm only sailing Celebrity for the very first time next year, and I was a little nervous when I first started reading about some of the changes; it seemed like there might be some spaces I was hoping to try out (e.g., Cellar Masters) that were going bye-bye. But I've followed the thread and waited for real photos and real passenger feedback, and I'm feeling a lot better about things now.

But if all you're going to do is complain about it and try to bring everyone else down with you, and put on airs while you do it, please... just take your ball and go home, or find some other playground to hang around. I've got enough negatives in my day-to-day, I'd appreciate it if a message board about something fun in my life can stay reasonably free of that.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

As a frequent penthouse passenger on M class ships, there's  nothing that Celebrity could do to that cabin to make me cancel a cruise in it.  They are not making it smaller. It is often regarded as one of the best cabins of any cruise line.  I am not buying it, I am just renting it for a week or two, and feel extremely fortunate beyond words to be able to do so.  Thanks everyone for your updates. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aralim said:

Heck, I'm only sailing Celebrity for the very first time next year, and I was a little nervous when I first started reading about some of the changes; it seemed like there might be some spaces I was hoping to try out (e.g., Cellar Masters) that were going bye-bye. But I've followed the thread and waited for real photos and real passenger feedback, and I'm feeling a lot better about things now.

Our November cruise on the Summit is our first time sailing Celebrity as well!  We usually sail with Royal and have two HAL cruises - we are very excited.

• Like 2

Can't wait to see all the posts about the Millennium tomorrow.  Share lots of pics. I will be on the Summit March 2020.  I know the changes will be similar.  

Edited by nickyj
oops
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, nickyj said:

Can't wait to see all the posts about the Millennium tomorrow.  Share lots of pics. I will be on the Summit March 2020.  I know the changes will be similar.  

There are already threads about the Millie, I believe she just finished her second cruise.

Edited by Oville

On 2/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, Olive1950 said:

I'm with you, Linda,  When I spend $20,000 for a cabin, the LAST thing I want is minimalism.... 

Oh puhleeeeeaaaaazeeee. There's probably 4 of you in an oceanview cabin if you're lucky. People that post about how rich they are or how much they spend are usually the biggest posers.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Oh puhleeeeeaaaaazeeee. There's probably 4 of you in an oceanview cabin if you're lucky. People that post about how rich they are or how much they spend are usually the biggest posers.

You are  actually quite wrong!

Guessing  you never sailed with Olive before!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Nope, and based on his/her post...I hope I never have to.

Actually a very pleasant welcoming  person...but obviously unhappy about that suite!

We are looking forward to Summit once again in 2020!   Love the Newport, Bermuda, Charleston  itin...something a bit different on a great ship!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

You are  actually quite wrong!

Guessing  you never sailed with Olive before!

HCAT

We have sailed with Olive in the past and we concur with your assessment of their pleasant and welcoming demeanour. 

Commentary aimed specifically at fellow cruisers based on ZERO facts is not helpful, and I struggle to understand why someone would think it is appropriate to put those comments in print, especially when it is a person or persons they have never met.

Perhaps it is best to not try to understand it. 

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Commentary aimed specifically at fellow cruisers based on ZERO facts is not helpful, and I struggle to understand why someone would think it is appropriate to put those comments in print, especially when it is a person or persons they have never met.

Perhaps it is best to not try to understand it.

Maybe this will help to understand. All that the vast majority of us here can gather about what a person here is like, is how and what they write. So when we see a majority of comments from that person (or any other) in a single thread that focus on the money they spend and what they expect to get for it, and how dare the cruise line deviate from what they have done before, it is very hard to see that as anything but being pretentious, snobby, and / or entitled. And as weird as it may sound, the choice of typeface when used in that context really doesn’t help to change our minds. It’s fine for a wedding invitation or fancy ball, but not a cruise board forum. (not leastwise because on a smartphone in particular it is very hard to read!)

The other element I think she’s failing to consider is how a lot of us may perceive the fact that she’s effectively bragging about how she’s not just able to sail in the penthouse suite, but do so regularly. That’s a total “the 1%” kind of thing to point out, and I’m not afraid to say I find it condescending and elitist in the extreme, and fair or not it colors my judgement about her. I doubt I’m the only one.

Olive may very well be a kind, funny, and generous person. I would love a chance to find out if that was the case. But the way she has written her comments has left me feeling anything but that about her. In a medium where words are your only way of conveying yourself to others, and you will likely never meet more than a half dozen in real life, it’s imperative to conduct yourself well if you don’t want to be taken as something you know you’re not.

Instead or talking about how for $20,000 per stay in the Penthouse Suite she doesn’t expect toned down decor and design, why couldn’t that have been phrased as something more to the effect that she found the old decor and design not just appealing, but even energizing when she stayed in the room? Or that it conveyed a sense of elegance and refinement that she finds sorely lacking in the concept art and photos that have been posted, without inflammatory rhetoric that does nothing but get our collective backs up? Comments like those invite discussion and far less negativity than strongly worded sentiments about how five expensive cruises will be canceled if Celebrity doesn’t do something to rectify their grievous mistakes. Maybe she won’t get the statements of agreement she’s hoping for, or as many as she’d like, but at least the discussion stays civil in tone.

Civility is something I feel is becoming a more and more precious commodity as we live more of our lives online. Written words don’t convey facial expression or tone of voice, they don’t tell you clearly on their own if someone is being sincere or sarcastic. Even emoji only help so much with that. So I don’t think it’s at all out of line to ask Olive and everyone in general to please just read what you’ve written back yourself, think for a moment about a very wide audience who you don’t know might interpret that, and reword or even totally rewrite it if you think it could be taken for anything besides what was originally meant.

And at the same time, I’m not saying that everyone has to be milquetoast in their discussions here. The two most utterly subjective things in life are probably food and art, and this refurbishment is in a lot of ways about nothing but those. So have opinions, just don’t expect everyone to agree with them and don’t talk about them in a way that suggests anyone who doesn’t is a plebe or a moron (or both).

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Is it me or is this Edgification taking longer on Summit than it did on Millie? I suppose the fact that I have a cruise booked on her makes me care more about this refurb than Millie's 🙂

If the time it is taking is true, I hope that it means that she is being completed and not being partially completed with some work or furnishings being accomplished post dry dock. That of course is for the stuff that we can see, not for any nuts and bolts stuff that may be needed that we can't see. Like the engines. 

• Like 1