Virgin Voyages.

taglovestocruise

Theres a reason why everyone else uses small ships.. and it isn't they want to use old ships.. just most major cruise line haven't built any small ships in the past decade or so. 

I didn't book the Havana sailing because I've been to Havana twice with Royal Caribbean, once on Empress of the Seas and the other on Majesty of the Seas. The biggest reason why I didn't pick Havana isn't the port or the ship, it's more I want to read the reviews first to see how well Cuba handles a large ship. Going to Havana isn't like going to any other ports in the Caribbean... when you get off the ship, you have to go through immigrations... you have to line up for them to check your Visa and Passport. Next you have to go through an X-Ray and they screen your bags to make sure you don't bring any prohibited items into Cuba. Finally most people get money exchanged at the currency exchange booth since US Dollar and US credit cards isn't accepted anywhere in Cuba. You might be able to exchange money at hotels, but theres really no hotels around the port. On the way back to the ship, you have to get your passport checked again and than you have to go through another set of screening run by the Cuban to check if you are bring anything back to the ship that you shouldn't. This is the part where they'll ask for receipts and stuff of any cigars you had purchased... and for Royal Caribbean, they have you go through another security screening to make sure you're not bringing any prohibited items on to the ship. The first day in port it can be a while before you actually get off the ship and actually step into Havana... however the process is much faster later on in the day but it's pretty much the same. Every time you get off the ship, you have to have your passport check, go through a screening... and on the way back... passport checked again and go through 2 screenings to get back on the ship. 

Edited by SkaterJasp

I was on msc opera in Havana in December just gone 

Opera can hold just under 2700 similar to scarlet lady and the port coped fine.

We had some overnights in Havana and both on arrival and disembarkation there was no massive queue to get through checks they literally just look at passport and let you through.

We also had Cuban cigars and wasn't asked for receipts or anything of the sort. Cuba will accept US dollars for payment you just get a rubbish rate

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, SkaterJasp said:

Theres a reason why everyone else uses small ships.. and it isn't they want to use old ships.. just most major cruise line haven't built any small ships in the past decade or so. 

I didn't book the Havana sailing because I've been to Havana twice with Royal Caribbean, once on Empress of the Seas and the other on Majesty of the Seas. The biggest reason why I didn't pick Havana isn't the port or the ship, it's more I want to read the reviews first to see how well Cuba handles a large ship. Going to Havana isn't like going to any other ports in the Caribbean... when you get off the ship, you have to go through immigrations... you have to line up for them to check your Visa and Passport. Next you have to go through an X-Ray and they screen your bags to make sure you don't bring any prohibited items into Cuba. Finally most people get money exchanged at the currency exchange booth since US Dollar and US credit cards isn't accepted anywhere in Cuba. You might be able to exchange money at hotels, but theres really no hotels around the port. On the way back to the ship, you have to get your passport checked again and than you have to go through another set of screening run by the Cuban to check if you are bring anything back to the ship that you shouldn't. This is the part where they'll ask for receipts and stuff of any cigars you had purchased... and for Royal Caribbean, they have you go through another security screening to make sure you're not bringing any prohibited items on to the ship. The first day in port it can be a while before you actually get off the ship and actually step into Havana... however the process is much faster later on in the day but it's pretty much the same. Every time you get off the ship, you have to have your passport check, go through a screening... and on the way back... passport checked again and go through 2 screenings to get back on the ship. 

I was on the Dec 3 2018 Havana overnight. Once we had the clear to go on shore, had no trouble going thru the line. I was on my tour in about 30 minutes total. Going thru the customs thing in the evening was also no problem. You do have to have your passport each time you leave the ship. It was an exciting visiting Cuba. So on my VV cruise, I’m doing the Dominican Daze 5 night. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Kmkub said:

Just looked at the prices. Utterly ridiculous. We're getting an 11-day MSC Yacht Club /balcony cabin cruise for much less than less than double what they are charging for an inside cabin 4-day. 

Reading through and saw this one.  VV for inside is about $1650 to $2000.  YC is about 4k for 7 days.  So if you got YC for about $600 which is "much less"...……..I would love to hear how you get that price.   VV is taking a lot of shots some warranted perhaps.  This one doesn't add up though.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, timf2001 said:

It's not just that other cruise lines send small ships to Cuba, but they send old ships.  Virgin Voyages is the first to send a ship built in the past decade, and a brand new one at that.

I too noticed this and it kept me from booking a Cuba cruise until Virgin.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, timf2001 said:

It's not just that other cruise lines send small ships to Cuba, but they send old ships.  Virgin Voyages is the first to send a ship built in the past decade, and a brand new one at that.

I too noticed this and it kept me from booking a Cuba cruise until Virgin.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, timf2001 said:

Not true.   Oceania Riviera , new a few years ago and Sirena, totally refurbished 3 years ago go to Cuba from Miami. Lets get our facts straight.