For those who have boarded ship in Old San Juan...

curiousx

This is our first Windstar Cruise, although we have sailed the ship (Pride) before when it was with Seabourn.  Unlike Seabourn, Windstar has not provided luggage tags showing our name and the cabin number.  My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that porters at the OSJ cruise terminal take the luggage at the time one arrives at the terminal.  Without tags showing the cabin number, how does the luggage get to one’s cabin?  Or should we just make our own?  We leave soon, so help is appreciated.  Many thanks.

This is simply a cost-saving measure. I haven't boarded in San Juan, but have found welcome tables with people handing out paper Windstar luggage tags for me to fill out at various cruise terminals. They are sometimes outside the doors, where we got off the public bus. It's not a problem.

When we met a Windstar transfer from the "Windstar" hotel (only booked the transfer from Windstar, not the hotel) there were Windstar reps at a temporary table in the lobby. In this case, check whether you have to ask for a specific departure time, say among 5 busses.

I would tip a porter who came out to my taxi or bus and took my bags out of the vehicle for me. I would not tip a porter who was hired by Windstar to deliver bags from a long line of them at the curb (or, worse, a stack of bags inside the cruise terminal.) And I'm a big tipper. This isn't "right".

A related story: At the Bristol Panama hotel, we carried our bags out to the porte-cochere, where a Windstar employee lifted them up into a 16' box truck. I mean that his work was restricted to a single vertical motion. I don't think I tipped him.

When we arrived at the dock for our December Pride cruise we walked our luggage on board ourselves. It wasn't far to go and I didn't want to wait for it to be delivered to the stateroom. it was not a problem as the bags are all on wheels.

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

When we arrived at the dock for our December Pride cruise we walked our luggage on board ourselves. It wasn't far to go and I didn't want to wait for it to be delivered to the stateroom. it was not a problem as the bags are all on wheels.

What if the stateroom is not ready?

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

Since we boarded at 5:00pm the stateroom was ready. We registered in the lounge and went right to our cabin. The dockside check in was already closed.

That makes sense but I usually board much earlier and cabins are often not ready yet,

susiesan, I don't like to wait either. But one of the reasons a cruise line checks in the bags before you board is to reduce congestion and collisions in the passageways of the ship. When there are bags staged in certain areas, your having your bags with you means that other passengers (with Rollators or not .... ) have to back up (or wait for the elevator to be empty) for your progress. So it is "not a problem" for you, but it may be for others.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, susiesan said:

Wow, that is an accomplishment. Very skinny and steep boarding ladderway. We're too old to be lugging 50 pounds of luggage up that awkward entry.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:33 PM, 6rugrats said:

It was just a warning, as I was actually asked for a tip and the guy's hand was out.  I just gave him $1 per bag (2 bags). 

I'd have reported him to Windstar immediately upon boarding - this shouldn't be happening.

Embarcation day with windstar is a lot less stressful than boarding the megaship in Fort-Lauderdale. FLL porters have their hand out all the time and if you look undecided they make sure you understand that your luggage "might" get lost or that luggage tags can be caught in machinery, etc.

When we sailed Pride out of San Juan last year, we arrived very early in the day directly from the airport.  Porters happily took all our luggage at curbside as we filled out and attached luggage tags.  We handed them an appropriate tip and walked off to enjoy one of our favorite cities for the day.  The only stress was me remembering to get our passports out of our carry-on for check-in later in the afternoon.  Easy as pie.  

On 3/27/2019 at 4:58 PM, milepig said:

I'd have reported him to Windstar immediately upon boarding - this shouldn't be happening.

I’m guessing that this was one of the porters hired locally to deal with luggage, as onboard crew would never ask for a tip.  There is a lot of poverty in the Caribbean and we always tip locals - so  it would not have been a problem for us.