Catania War Cemetery

emam

Has anyone been to the Catania War Cemetery from a cruise, or any other way for that matter. I am wondering how far away the cemetery is from the cruise port. If you have been how did you get there. The excursions for that port aren't showing yet. Is this the type of place that Marella would have an excursion to (I doubt it though). 

We haven’t been personally but we passed it on our way from the airport. We made the acquaintance of a lovely couple a few years ago who were in the hotel with us near Taormina.  He had waited many decades to be able to visit the grave of his brother, surname Butterfield.  The cemetery is just outside of Catania, search google maps, but the only way they could visit in good time was by booking a taxi to take them and then wait to take them back.  It cost them 60 euros then from Taormina, around 12 years ago, so more now but taking into account the price of trips I would think it is the quickest and most cost effective way of visiting the cemetery which is small but beautifully kept.  If you have a relative laid to rest there I am sure you will find it comforting to visit, as did Dennis and Joyce. Ask for quotes from the port.

We don't have relatives there, but a hero from our village is there. I think there might be more, I will have to look into it. i had just come across the first name while doing something else and remembered we are going there on our cruise. We aren't experienced travellers and the thought of having to get a taxi is daunting for me with the language barriers. However I will look further to see how many of our men are there and our options for getting to the cemetery. When trying to look it up (in a hurry) everyone mentions the airport but nothing about the cruise port and how far away that is. 

I noticed that the cemetery is kept locked so again that is something I need to research more.

Thank you for your reply is has given me some idea of it. As you say a tour would cost the same price. 

I just checked the information on google maps.  Search for Catania War Cemetery then click on the red marker for the information and reviews. The cemetery is open from 8.00-12.00 then 13.00-15.30 each day.  It really doesn’t look that far from the port and taxi drivers are used to cruise passengers speaking English.  We visited Gallipoli a few years ago on a TUI cruise trip and we’re glad we did, even though the guide talked incessantly for 7 hours, as TUI have never been back so you might not get another chance.  Going independent is best if you can as go can go at your own pace, we were only given 10 minutes in each cemetery, barely time to get on and off the coach.  It was a moving experience all the same.

I managed to find it. It's only about 15 minutes from the port by car. I think less than 9 km. I have also found now that there are 3 men there from our village. I will look into the taxis, the gate being locked is for cars, people on foot can still get in. I found it on the map, but didn't know to click on the red marker, so will have a look at that. 

You have been very helpful. Thank you.

You’re welcome. Just tap on the red marker and scroll through the window that pops up for more information.  Very helpful for restaurant times and reviews in this country too.  Also, if you get the Rome2rio app from the App Store it will tell you various ways of getting there, the time taken and the cost.  I use it in every country I visit, including GB.  If you put out a request nearer the time I’m sure you will find someone else who wants to visit and share a taxi and the cost.  Good luck.