Antarctica cruise 2020

kathy16

Trying to decide whether to spring for a balcony on Silver Cloud- anyone on this particular cruise feel a balcony was especially nice? Did you actually use it- or frequent other areas of the deck, with a more panoramic view?

Also, wondering whether it's better to use the special air, hotel, transfers now being offered on our cruise- or make own arrangements. I do want to fly at least one day earlier, due to potential "winter" problems, and fly out of my local airport (Hartford) and not JFK- knowing that a deviation fee of at least $150 pp required and that a $1000 pp non-use fee is available if don't use SS special air, etc.

Also thinking of spending few days in Ushuaia  pre-cruise (if i arrange my own air via BA- not Santiago). Is there much to see in Ushuaia for that to be worthwhile?

I  have read some trip reports where it seems the ship returns to Ushuaia a day early- if so- does that give enough time for sightseeing there, before returning home? Did you feel you missed out on some Antarctica cruising by leaving earlier?

Thanks, 

Kathy

Hi Kathy.

We use the balconies to view ice sculptures as we pass by. You are might be better off spending time in Buenos Aires or Santino Chile than the small port town you will board the ship. Also Silversea Air works great for some travelers, depending on where you are starting from. Have them give you a bid, couldn't hurt to see what they offer. Also remember they will also pick you up at the airport. 

Good luck, we are leaving next week back to Antarctica on the Cloud.

We booked a Veranda Suite and hubby used it quite a bit to run out and get photos.

Also used SS Air but my TA had to call to get the routing changed with longer layovers (an hour is too short when flying in December).

The day we arrived, the bus picked us up at the airport, then gave us a tour around the city before we all went to lunch (grilled lamb and chicken), before a short drive to the pier.

The Charter flight from Santiago to Ushaiua was brutal,  we all had to leave the hotel by 330 am, but a complimentary continental breakfast was available at the hotel. There was also an open bar evening reception.

We did return to Ushaiua a day early, had the morning to ourselves,  and were offered 3 different activities for the afternoon:   bird watching with the ornithologist, a trip to Tierra del Fuego National Park, or hike up the mountains.

Edited by cflutist

We spent 3 nights in Ushaiua before our Cape to Cape cruise.Ther was enough to keep us occupied.Also the air charter was at OMG o'clock but by flying down independently allowed us to choose a much more convenient time.

I did a trip report of the time before the cruise.the Ushauia part starts at post 187.Before that it is the sacred valley,machu pichu,Iguazu fall and Buenos Airies.

https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/threads/from-cape-to-cape-expeditions-by-land-and-sea.81113/page-10

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies- I am looking forward to reading about your Antarctica cruise review. I guess I will take the SS "free" economy air- and see what they come up with considering I want to go out of another airport a day or so earlier (winter travel)- realizing I will have to pay an air deviation fee of at least $150 pp, or take their non-use air credit. Air fare is pretty expensive and n/a yet for my specific dates.

I did book a balcony on deck 6 - how are the balcony rooms during the infamous Drake passage?

So excited about this trip even though almost a year away!

• Like 1

Hm, I would have said don't bother with the balcony in Antarctica but it certainly won't be bad to have one. We did Antarctica on Explorer and you're never too far from the outside. Cloud is a little bigger and it may be nice to have a quick way outside for pictures.

That said we are booked in steerage for our return to Antarctica on Silver Cloud in January 2020. Way down on the fourth deck along with the other members of "aquarium class." We used to always get a veranda for Med cruises on the Cloud but didn't want to fork over the $$ for it here.

At least we are closer to the MDR!

RE: your other question. Both BA and Santiago are worth a few days. If you've never been to either, it would be hard to tell you to skip them in favor of Ushuaia, even though Ushuaia is pretty. There is a ton to do in BA. Santiago is pretty too and surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges, vineyards, etc. Lots to choose from in this part of the world.

RE: coming back to Ushuaia early. I don't think that's because they leave Antarctica early per se. They leave Antarctica on schedule, but build in a half-day buffer in case the Drake is bad and they have to go slow. If they go normal speed through the Drake you will get in the night before disembarkation. Perhaps if weather is really terrible they might leave early to try to beat a storm through the Drake...but I think it's mostly the ship equivalent of the airlines padding their flight time to avoid late arrivals.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Having a Veranda Suite on deck 7 was very convenient for us.

We ate our first breakfast and lunch in the MDR @ sea but found the service to be too slow for us. So we ate those meals in La Terrazza for the rest of the cruise because we were always rushing for either morning or afternoon zodiac landings.

Also, a number of us were seen wearing our slippers for breakfast knowing that our boots were in the mudroom downstairs, lol.

We did do a circumnavigation of SA on SS several years ago starting in Santiago and ending up in BA (with a 2 night side trip to Iguazu Falls),  which we enjoyed. That is why we just want to do Antarctica cruise now- and my vacation time is not as lenient as it previously had been with a different manager.

Kathy16

Going over the Drake was fine. They were closely monitoring the weather reports and decided to skip 2 of the 5 stops in the Falklands so we could leave early. In fact, the captain blew the horn and they sent out crew to look for pax wearing red jackets in the pubs. The positive was that we got to spend an extra 1.5 days in Antarctica. 

Coming back was a bit rougher, waves hit the bridge on deck 8, we were on a bridge tour and saw it. Just took some meclizine and was fine.

We still got back a day early and had a full day for exploration and/or tours.

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Way down on the fourth deck along with the other members of "aquarium class." We used to always get a veranda for Med cruises on the Cloud but didn't want to fork over the $$ for it here.

LMAO at the Aquarium Class comment!  We’ll be right there with you.

• Like 2

I guess it's time to pay  for our cruise tomorrow- 10 % discount if pay by 2/28- then i will buy trip insurance. I am so excited about this trip and it's not until the end of January 2020.

Still haven't decided whether I will do SS air or my own arrangements- still too early to see the prices.

• Like 2

Hi Stumblefoot and JP, hope you both enjoy aquarium class in January--dearly wish Ida and I were going with you. Stumblefoot knows the  unfortunate story as we were probably the first SS cruisers who booked this Jan 2020 Cloud Antarctica cruise..  The good news (ida gave me a kitchen pass to go as a single, and single supplement is $0, astonishing)  is am on the Shadow in less than 3 weeks (four days in Myanmar) after almost two years away from SS.  And frankly, can't wait to enjoy dining in La Terraza at night as I have six dinner reservations for a 12 day cruise 🙂

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WesW said:

The good news (ida gave me a kitchen pass to go as a single, and single supplement is $0, astonishing)  is am on the Shadow in less than 3 weeks (four days in Myanmar) after almost two years away from SS.  And frankly, can't wait to enjoy dining in La Terraza at night as I have six dinner reservations for a 12 day cruise 🙂

Glad to know that you’ll be back on SS soon, Wes.  It looks like a major crew change occurred in Singapore and I know others are leaving for vacation in Hong Kong after the completion of Unibok’s voyage.  So, hopefully you have a great cruise and we’ll see Ida back on board SS in 2020.

Amy says the La Terrazza duck ragout was as good as she remembered, so hopefully you’ll enjoy your favorite dish as well.  I know we were a bit concerned after reading recent reviews of the dish.