Nightmare port?

Fincherson

I admit I've only cruised out of Miami, but, compared to Galveston it seems like a dream experience. I've been trying to get my October 19th Vista cruise (family of 7) planned for months now and I still feel completely flustered and at a loss when it comes to transportation. I've scoured this board and am waiting back on quotes from shuttles but I guess I just wondered if I'm the only one thinking it's crazy how convoluted it is compared to Miami? Everything out of Miami seems cut and dry whereas every option out of Galveston is $$$ and ...yeah, I guess confusing. I'm not trying to drag Galveston as a city (I'm sure it's beautiful) I just wish it were more accommodating for cruisers. Unless things improve in won't be sailing out of TX next time!

30 minutes ago, Fincherson said:

I admit I've only cruised out of Miami, but, compared to Galveston it seems like a dream experience. I've been trying to get my October 19th Vista cruise (family of 7) planned for months now and I still feel completely flustered and at a loss when it comes to transportation. I've scoured this board and am waiting back on quotes from shuttles but I guess I just wondered if I'm the only one thinking it's crazy how convoluted it is compared to Miami? Everything out of Miami seems cut and dry whereas every option out of Galveston is $$$ and ...yeah, I guess confusing. I'm not trying to drag Galveston as a city (I'm sure it's beautiful) I just wish it were more accommodating for cruisers. Unless things improve in won't be sailing out of TX next time!

The port of Miami is what, less than 10 miles from the airport. The Fort Lauderdale airport is even closer to the port. For Galveston you have to fly into Houston. Hobby (HOU), the older, smaller airport, mostly Southwest, is about 40 miles from the port of Galveston. Bush Intercontinental (IAH), the "big" airport, is about 70 miles from the port. The distance makes the difference in transportation costs. All I can tell you is more ships are moving into Galveston, so not everyone feels like you do. Perhaps you should cancel the Galveston cruise and book one from Miami.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royalcfan said:

I live in Houston and only left from Galveston once. I was not impressed. We like leaving from Florida or Puerto Rico much better. Tired of going to Mexico.  Not safe any more.

Likewise not impressed traveling  to Florida or Seattle/Vancouver.  Must fly in day before so hotel expense can be pricey then add meals and transportation,

But that is not the point.  Have traveled and sailed all over the world and did my due diligence to see what all costs were prior to booking a cruise.  The ship does not dock at ones front door.

Some sails are for the ports others are just to get away and relax on the ship.  Having been to all the ports in the Caribbean and Mexico numerous times does not stop us from cruising.  Same with Europe.

As for dress on "formal night"; perhaps Cunard is a better fit.  Have been there, done that.  Will wear my camo and Stetson on Sunday's cruise from Galveston:)

Op: Although I love Texas!!..Yes Galveston has a lot of problems of it's own making, not enough hotel rooms, transportation issues, Texas ABC officers who "Shake" you down for extra taxes on Tobacco and Alcohol you bring back....Yes even if you are out of state and leaving that day.....Try staying at the Houston Airport Marriott the night before..then call Galveston Express for your shuttle...That will make it eaiser for you than trying to stay in Galveston....Have a Great Trip and next time Go out of NOLA where they love Cruisers!!!

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, Fincherson said:

The time factor is a bit overwhelming but Carnival does have transfers to each of the airports so it's just a bit more time consuming.  We took a cruise out of Galveston January 2018 and flew into IAH the day before.  We stayed at a hotel near IAH on Friday night.  We went back to IAH to get on a shuttle to the port on Saturday morning.  At the time, I did not think that Carnival had a shuttle but I'm told I'm wrong.  So we used Galveston Limo. They also picked us up at the port after the cruise and got us back to IAH.   They were very prompt friendly and knew what they were doing. We were very anxious about this but it ended up working out very well and it was so smooth, I won't hesitate to cruise out of Galveston in the future.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2019 at 12:57 AM, mpdog42 said:

Op: Although I love Texas!!..Yes Galveston has a lot of problems of it's own making, not enough hotel rooms, transportation issues, Texas ABC officers who "Shake" you down for extra taxes on Tobacco and Alcohol you bring back....Yes even if you are out of state and leaving that day.....Try staying at the Houston Airport Marriott the night before..then call Galveston Express for your shuttle...That will make it eaiser for you than trying to stay in Galveston....Have a Great Trip and next time Go out of NOLA where they love Cruisers!!!

Mike

Thank you so much, I would love to try NOLA next time!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, Texas Tillie said:

The port of Miami is what, less than 10 miles from the airport. The Fort Lauderdale airport is even closer to the port. For Galveston you have to fly into Houston. Hobby (HOU), the older, smaller airport, mostly Southwest, is about 40 miles from the port of Galveston. Bush Intercontinental (IAH), the "big" airport, is about 70 miles from the port. The distance makes the difference in transportation costs. All I can tell you is more ships are moving into Galveston, so not everyone feels like you do. Perhaps you should cancel the Galveston cruise and book one from Miami.

Ships moving to Galveston isn’t about the people that fly in. It’s about the number of people in Texas....and most of them probably  drive to the port. I’d never go out of Galveston if I had to fly there. Never.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fincherson said:

Thank you so much, I would love to try NOLA next time!

Do it. And when you do check out the New Orleans forum and we’ll assist you with any transportation/hotel planning you need.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1