Sailing from Manhattan - 2 tour days prior - where to stay?

Vineyard View

We will be sailing in October out of the Manhattan terminal. We plan to go in early to tour some sites in the city. Our list to see is larger than time we will have, but I am wondering if it makes most sense to stay in Manhattan or another area?  For sure we want to see 911 &  Central Park for sure. Other ideas are Empire, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and more. We will drill that down as we get closer. I realize that these sites are spread out geographically. We do not want to stay near Times Square. We would like to keep the budget at $400/night or less. I would appreciate suggestions in Manhattan, or in another neighborhood if that is what you recommend. Thank you 

Midtown West near W. 56th St & 7th Ave is a great location. The Park Central hotel is nice and quite popular. You are 4 blocks from Central Park, across the street from Carnegie Hall, a few blocks from the Time Warner Center (shops, Whole Foods and restaurants), The Plaza, Lincoln Center, etc. There are many wonderful restaurants in the area. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you both. 

We will I’ll fly in on 10/5 or 10/6, check out 10/8. Sail evening of 10/9. 

Two couples, 2 rooms, prefer king but can do queen beds. Flying in most likely to JFK due to nonstop from SFO vs LGA connections. 

I will I’ll look at the Park Central Hotel, thank you. 

I was just looking at the Library Hotel - looks lovely, however a little more than we had hoped price wise. 

20 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you both. 

We will I’ll fly in on 10/5 or 10/6, check out 10/8. Sail evening of 10/9. 

Two couples, 2 rooms, prefer king but can do queen beds. Flying in most likely to JFK due to nonstop from SFO vs LGA connections. 

I will I’ll look at the Park Central Hotel, thank you. 

I was just looking at the Library Hotel - looks lovely, however a little more than we had hoped price wise. 

Is your budget $400/room per night?

You said check out on Oct 8 but you sail Oct 9?  Is your ship overnighting in Manhattan? 

Thank you. I will check out the Michelangelo. 

I have been researching TripAdvisor quite a bit. It is confusing with all the choices in Manhattan. Some of the higher rated are beyond me why from the pictures, but generally TA is one of my main ‘go to’ for hotel research. There are an overwhelming amount of hotels in NYC! 

Thank you.  I think we have narrowed it down to Michelangelo (based on responses here rather than TA rating), The Kimberly, and Possibly 50 Bowery. I liked the looks of the Library, but they are the most expensive. The Kimberly is most attractive from a price standpoint. The Michelangelo has a sale going on that is also very attractive but with their ‘property’ fee, they jump up there in pricing. 

Edited by Vineyard View

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you.  I think we have narrowed it down to Michelangelo (based on responses here rather than TA rating), The Kimberly, and Possibly 50 Bowery. I liked the looks of the Library, but they are the most expensive. The Kimberly is most attractive from a price standpoint. The Michelangelo has a sale going on that is also very attractive but with their ‘property’ fee, they jump up there in pricing. 

If the Michelangelo is off the table, the Kimberly has a much more attractive midtown location close to the subway than 50 Bowery has.  50 Bowery is right near the entrance to the Manhattan Bridge.  Chinatown and Little Italy are walkable, but none of the attractions you mentioned are close.

There must be something going on in NYC at the time we will be there. I have researched both Hilton and Marriott sites. 

Jist like the other hotels, I can find rooms under $400/night, but add in all the extra fees and it seems to magically expand 

The Hilton mentioned is actually more expensive than Michelangelo. 

Courtyard is within $50 for both nights, Westin is higher, Marquis within $50 

It’s kind of crazy! 

That said, I sure do appreciate all the suggestions. So again, thank you

Look at lastminutetravel.com for your dates.  Put in a range of prices from $250-325 to get a choice of hotels in your price range.  You have to prepay now, but many hotels are cancellable to within several days of your arrival.

10 hours ago, George C said:

We also like Hilton on 53rd and 6th that was were we stayed before we discovered the Michelangelo 

We once had a reservation there and when we arrived found they were overbooked.  Shipped us out to a place by LaGuardia.  Gave us a place to change for the theatre, park for free, comped the room and gave us a whole lot of Hilton points.  In the end it wasn't as terrible as we thought we they told us they did not have a room for us.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, mskaufman said:

We have stayed in NYC a number of times.  Definitely recommend Manhattan.  Check the Hilton and Marriott sites for options.  We have never paid more than $300.  Look at Times Square South and possibly the Financial District.

Yes! Plus mid town east. You don’t need a huge convention size hotel. 

The Kimberly is in a great location. You are away from junky tourist traps. Plenty of nice restaurants on East side because it’s residential and there are Embassies located there. Very easy to get around by walking, subway, bus. Very safe. My dd lives in immediate vicinity so I know area very well. 

Financial District is walking distance to 9/11 Memorial and Battery Park where you catch ferry. Holiday Inn Financial District $266 plus tax. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

I have not used lastminutetravel.com - thank you for the suggestion. I will look at this website, but it is not very last minute right now with travel in October. 

I am really glad to hear the the Kimberly is in a good, safe neighborhood. That may translate to quieter rooms. 

I read that the Michelangelo clientele Mon-Thurs are primarily business travelers, many of whom are international. I wonder this is due to proximity or reputation. I will welcome business travelers over late night party regulars anytime!  

On February 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM, Vineyard View said:

We will be sailing in October out of the Manhattan terminal. We plan to go in early to tour some sites in the city. Our list to see is larger than time we will have, but I am wondering if it makes most sense to stay in Manhattan or another area?  For sure we want to see 911 &  Central Park for sure. Other ideas are Empire, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and more. We will drill that down as we get closer. I realize that these sites are spread out geographically. We do not want to stay near Times Square. We would like to keep the budget at $400/night or less. I would appreciate suggestions in Manhattan, or in another neighborhood if that is what you recommend. Thank you 

Check out The Watson Hotel on W. 57 St between 9 th and 10th ave.

It is on a relatively quiet block with a lot of restaurants in the area ,near Carnegie Hall,subways,busses.

• Like 1

Thank you for another suggestion. I appreciate this. I sent inquiries with questions to Michelangelo and The Kimberly this morning and hopefully their responses will help me to finalize the decision. 

Since we are still seven months out, does NYC tend to have a window of better value for hotel rates, meaning the further out you book the better the rates (now)  or better to hold  a couple-three months? 

35 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for another suggestion. I appreciate this. I sent inquiries with questions to Michelangelo and The Kimberly this morning and hopefully their responses will help me to finalize the decision. 

Since we are still seven months out, does NYC tend to have a window of better value for hotel rates, meaning the further out you book the better the rates (now)  or better to hold  a couple-three months? 

Oct is actually high season .  You should book now.  There can always be last minute deals, but the hotels might not be what you’re looking for.