Frightening number of new ships on the Horizon

Phillygirl3

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Well for those who haven’t been to Alaska yet it’s not a choice if they want to see it. 

Totally agree, and it's all relative.

My first cruises to Alaska were 1978 & 1979, when passenger ships had about 700 passengers and on a really bad day we had 2 or 3 ships in port. However, while we had less passengers, they also had less infrastructure. After those days, our next trip to Alaska was 2003 and noted the ports were busier, as they had more ships and they were now carrying 2,000 passengers.

While the number of ships & sizes have continued to increase, so has the infrastructure and number of tours available. I rarely hear of pax complaining they couldn't get tours. Yes, walking around the streets, you will find many more people than my first trip in 1978, but frankly I don't find it negatively impacts my experience. I also note you can travel much further from the ports than my first trip.

Another benefit, is Viking visits some of the smaller ports, as well as Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Well for those who haven’t been to Alaska yet it’s not a choice if they want to see it. 

You will have a wonderful time even if you didn't make it there "back when."   We have done Inside passage cruises 3 times-1991, 2003 and 2018.  Each were different experiences but enjoyable none the less.  Keep in mind that cruising the Inside Passage and sailing into the glaciers are the highlights and you won't be fighting any crowds on those days.  Not all the ships stop in some of the ports you will be visiting like Sitka, Icy Strait Point and Valdez so probably not a worry either.  We loved Sitka so much from our first cruise we flew there for a week several years ago.  Icy Strait is a fairly new stop and not much there so you may want to plan an excursion, but if you have time be sure and have fish and chips at the Cookhouse restaurant. Lastly, Vancouver is a wonderful sail away port.  Be sure you are out to take it all in, if you are going that direction.  If not-be up early! 

Edited by Ready to Sail!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, New Hampshire said:

We have sailed to Alaska twice, the first time in 1998 on the Celebrity Mercury.  It was amazing.  My husband was eager to go again in 2017, but I was very reluctant.  The size and number of ships cruising to Alaska had exploded in the intervening years and I couldn’t imagine how the small ports I remembered could  possibly handle the huge numbers of people that would be disgorged from all these huge ships.  My husband won and we sailed Celebrity Solstice in July 2017.  It was just as bad as I imagined, especially since our first visit was so incredible.  

As I just mentioned on another posting we have been 3 times, 2018 being our last.  Two of our trips have been in May and I think that may be the secret to avoiding crowds as some of the lines don't start until June.   We didn't experience any of the mega ships last year either.  Guess we got lucky.  I'm sure if it starts being a problem the ports will start putting restrictions on number of ships/visitors per day like they are doing in Europe.   

I used to visit Lake Winnipesaukee with friends back in the early 60's. I am hoping to do one more fall road trip to NE in the next year or two and would like to see the lake again.  I am guessing I will find it really changed also.