Encore vs. Odyssey

JYarNYC

"Plan your next cruise based on the itinerary."

That right there is among the top 5 pieces of advice that I've gained from perusing the Cruise Critic boards. There are more things to consider, of course; after only two cruises, my husband and I know that a luxury line suits us better than the mega/mainstream ones... not only because we love what the former offers, but because we don't need the water slides, the Central Parks, the wet t-shirt contests, the Guy's Winking Iquana Margaritaville Burger Bar-type restaurants, or the crowds of the latter (we're bougie).

Last summer we were on the Encore and enjoyed it immensely... so much so that we've been eagerly anticipating the Summer 2020 Seabourn schedule that they released today. However, in keeping with the top line of my post, we weren't especially thrilled with where either the Encore or the Ovation will be going then. So we put a hold on a cruise that does interest us, on the Odyssey. And that brings me to my question, Seabourn experts:

Will the Odyssey be a letdown after having been on the Encore?

We appreciated the Encore's beauty and newness, and we didn't notice the extra people, since our only point of comparison is the Celebrity Solstice. Yes, the Retreat on the Encore is a waste of space, but I liked exploring other parts of the ship and I don't know how I would feel being on a smaller one. We loved the TK Grill, so I was happy to see that on the Odyssey. But I would appreciate the perspectives of those who have been on both.

I see a lot written about the Encore vs. another line's ship, but not much about how it stacks up against its family members. Apologies if I missed a thread about just this topic; and thank you!

Have you looked into Silversea, Crystal or Regent?  They are all wonderful too.  I have sailed all of them, as well as Seabourn, and as I often say, they are all great and none of them are perfect.  I also recommend Viking Ocean.  They are not officially in the luxury category, but they are just as good based on my experience.

3 hours ago, JYarNYC said:

"Plan your next cruise based on the itinerary."

Will the Odyssey be a letdown after having been on the Encore?

We've sailed on Seabourn since they had the very small ships. Odyssey class is, in our opinion, the best of Seabourn's ships, big enough to have variety but still small enough to have good service and enough space per passenger.

We found Encore last summer to be a disappointment in the space and service areas, and even though we liked some of the changes made to for instance the Colonnade ,we felt Seabourn had overreached with the number of passengers on what's basically the same sized ship (length and width are very similar). 

After that cruise we made a conscious decision to stick to Odyssey class if at all possible. One of the reasons we're cruising Asia in a few weeks time instead of Europe this year is that next season only Encore and Ovation are in Asia and we don't know when Odyssey ships will be out here again. 

So my opinion is that if you liked Encore you'll find Odyssey a step up. 

Edited by rols
  • Like 1

We have sailed on each class of ship, and our preference is for the Encore, lighter & brighter than the Odyssey, which was looking a bit tired and in need of a good spruce up.   The crew was/is more polished on the smaller ships, depending on the particular vessel and trip.    The Encore crew are STILL finding their way a bit to our estimation after a cruise last year, we are returning again this year in a few weeks..... will be interested to see if the crew has improved?!.

Not keen on the TK Grill, but the Japanese offering is superb as is the staff, they hit the mark on each occasion we have dined there!.

Seabourn Square, again better than the "O" class ships.

Would like to see a large change in the food offerings across all ships, there is a lack of surprise and delight, perhaps they should look at the food on Oceania line.

Over time and since my 40 days on the maiden Encore voyage I have said plenty about why I much prefer the Odyssey class ships. So I won’t get into the details here. 

But then...

1- I don’t want to stand in a coffee queue at Seabourn Square manned by the same staff number when the ship will carry 150 more passengers; and

2- I don’t want to try to do my daily walks on 5 deck and other outdoor areas that are in fact smaller on a ship with 150 more passengers.

And restricting already reduced deck space to punters who stomp up a couple or few hundred USD per day for the “Retreat” (retreat from what?) on this all inclusive line is absurd and rather insulting.

You’ve got the idea. I will leave it at that.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

We are like you and have only sailed on the Encore and on the Ovation.  In May, we'll be on the Sojourn--so I will, at last, be able to give my opinion of one class versus the other.  I do know I will miss the TK Grill BAR--as Sojourn will not have that bar.  At any rate, we are prepared to have a great time!  I expect the ship to be different from the newer ships, but just as much fun.  

JYarNYC 

We are opposite to you!  We've only done the smaller ships and if an itinerary dictates Ovation or Encore I will be apprehensive about it as I can't imagine another 150 passengers, even if it does have an extra deck.  

I love the intimacy of TK Grill on the smaller ships, I'm not a great fan of sushi so not having that doesn't worry me, but who knows ... we might try it should the itinerary be our choice.  2 weeks today we will be setting off for a cruise on Sojourn so it won't be any time soon!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mauzac said:

JYarNYC 

We are opposite to you!  We've only done the smaller ships and if an itinerary dictates Ovation or Encore I will be apprehensive about it as I can't imagine another 150 passengers, even if it does have an extra deck.  

The “extra deck” is for the additional 150 passengers and was squeezed into basically the same space.  They are almost the same length, width and height.

One of the captains said the ships are basically the same overall size with very little additional room for common space.  Yes the Encore and the Ovation are newer, but the Odyssey class ships are very well maintained. 

If if you read a lot of reviews you get the opinion that those sailing on the newer ships first,  love them and those of us that started on the smaller ships prefer them.  So, it really comes down to your experience and choice!  Please report back after your cruise and give us your opinion.

• 1 month later...

We have just done 2 cruises on the Encore in the past 4 months , 37 nights Athens to Singapore and 16 nights around New Zealand  . Previously had been on the Odyssey twice .

What i liked about the Encore.

1/ Larger gym . Great views and plenty of space to workout.

2/ TK has a fabulous bar area with a pianist , very stylish and intimate.

3/ Observation bar is sensational with better seating and glass roof over the bar.

4/ Sushi bar on 5 , small space but great if you love sushi.

5/ Updated suites.

6/ Patio eatery layout on pool deck far better with more chairs/tables under the shaded area.

My wife prefers the smaller Odyssey type ships as there are fewer passengers and everything is similar to Encore/Ovation however the gym is far too small for a regular gym person like me. 

We are looking at getting back on the Odyssey in November so hopefully it will be as good as we remembered from previous sailings.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviewer Tripacian described it best.  The Encore and Ovation squeeze in another 150 passengers into almost the same footprint as the three Odyssey class ships, with the extra deck for the additional passengers  sandwiched in the middle of the decks, so the ship is a bit heavier and may sail a bit better in rough weather, but far from certain. Wider by 7' and longer by 38'. Modest by today's standards to accommodate a 33% increase in the number of passengers. It may feel roomier to some, in certain areas, like the gym and Observation Lounge, and the Square, but it is not really much larger in so much of the public rooms and areas most frequented daily. Standard veranda "suites" throughout the ship basically are no larger than the Odyssey class cabins, which are very nice indeed, even as they need a bit of refreshing after 9 to 7 years. Yes the Keller Grill is larger, a virtue to some.  But, sailing in warm waters, a key factor is the pool deck and pool, and pool dining. They are the basically the same size, or perhaps with the extension of Keller Grill the pool deck is tad smaller. So there are another 150 passengers on board, competing each day in sunny climes for the same number of deck ( still uncomfortable because no pads) chaises around the pool. Same chaises though on the Odyssey class ships.  And basically the same size pool is potentially 150 passengers more crowded.  Looking for tables at the pool Patio grill during lunch has to be more of a challenge. And the Restaurant and its kitchen, and waiting staff, or Colonnade, and Patio Grill, have to absorb another 150 people in the basically same, or slightly enlarged space for meals. Worst of course has to be dinner time in the Restaurant.. OK, so Encore and Ovation are newer and more modern and fancy, and better decorated cabins, and there is a small Sushi place to dine that does not get great reviews, and the highly criticized space taken up by the Retreat, but the other 3 slightly older, ships are very comfortable and have so much more intimacy and space per passenger available. Crew gets to know and remember you better and lot faster.  Great service is the key. It just feels for us so much more comfortable sailing small on Seabourn, if one can find the right cruise, and the old 200 passenger Seabourn Yachts are long gone . But Itineraries may do the trick though in determining what is best for any  individual.

We will be on the Sojourn in May after a cruise on Encore (10 days) and Ovation (21 days).  I have to say that I loved the bar outside the TK Grill (on Encore and Ovation), the lovely, large  light filled Observation Lounge and the extended outdoor dining area outside of the Colonnade.  We are not Sushi eaters, but the Sushi was VERY popular with many.  I look forward to giving my honest opinion comparing the Sojourn to the two newer ships.  I have to say that we never felt crowded and the vast majority of the time had great service everywhere (including in the MDR).  We got to know crew well and were greeted by name even meeting a crew member for the first time.  We were very comfortable.  I am hoping we will like the Sojourn even more---based on comments here. 

Edited by SLSD

kowhairob, I'm glad to hear that other differences are minor!  We expect to have a fabulous time.  This will be our third SB cruise (and only our fourth cruise ever--our first being on Silversea). 

We did our first Encore cruise to Australia and New Zealand after doing 100's of days on the Odyssey class ships   We were skeptical about Encore but were very happy with the "differences" between the 2 class ship. The Encore has a slightly nicer suite and upgraded entertainment center and wifie liked the bathroom a bit better on the Encore. 

The seas were VERY rough going through the Tasmania Sea but the Encore handle these rough seas beautifully.  We went to the TK Bar every night at 6 to start our night off with a drink. The TK bar is quieter than the Observation Lounge, BUT, the Observation Lounge is larger and nicer on the Encore than the Odyssey. 

We never ever noticed the extra 150 passengers everyone comments about.  We never waited in lines to get on or off the ship, in the Seabourn Square coffee Que, or seeing a show. 

With all of that said, we prefer Odyssey but only slightly.  Mostly because we like the Colonnades Restaurant better on the Odyssey.

It's so close it wouldn't matter to us which class we go.  It is still Seabourn.

I agree with you, Raphael!

I've been on both Encore and Ovation and most recently Odyssey.   I love Seabourn, and with some perks now, that is the way for me to go.   Also love that SB is "getting with the program" and now offering specials on reduced single supplements.    My preference is for the Encore/Ovation class ships due to the sushi restaurant which I loved, and the lovely TK Bar-Lounge area both of which are absent from the smaller ships.   I also found that there were more 110 volt outlets in the Encore/Ovation suites than on Odyssey.    All that said, my next SB cruise is on the Quest, which I know I will love.   

We have sailed Seabourn Quest and Sojourn and I like their size.    We are now sailing on the Azamara Journey and have found it quite comparable with the Quest and Journey.    We are in the lowest category suite so the cabin size is larger than normal verandas on Seabourn.   There are two specialty restaurants included in the suite price.   You also receive one bag of laundry a week, more if you are a captains club member.   Wines and drinks are also included.   There is a charge for higher end alcohol and better wines.   It’s a very similar product and they have some interesting itineraries.   There are two special events a cruise, one being a white night party at the pool with staff and the second being an off ship event such as a musical event in one of your overnight ports.    This line is worth a try.

interesting to read this positive report from CovePoint Cruiser. We have been looking at an Azamara cruise for some time. But the nearly 700 passenger size was a negative, as was the age of the ship - about 25 years from its Renaissance beginnings. We know the layout of this ship from some of our cruises on its Oceania sisters. Cabins are small and smaller,  unless one opts for the so-called suites, which are a trifle larger than the standard Seabourn stateroom suites. Food and service are the key for us - is Azamara up to Seabourn quality, with all its recent challenges? 

22 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have sailed Seabourn Quest and Sojourn and I like their size.    We are now sailing on the Azamara Journey and have found it quite comparable with the Quest and Journey.    We are in the lowest category suite so the cabin size is larger than normal verandas on Seabourn.   There are two specialty restaurants included in the suite price.   You also receive one bag of laundry a week, more if you are a captains club member.   Wines and drinks are also included.   There is a charge for higher end alcohol and better wines.   It’s a very similar product and they have some interesting itineraries.   There are two special events a cruise, one being a white night party at the pool with staff and the second being an off ship event such as a musical event in one of your overnight ports.    This line is worth a try.

You’re kidding, aren’t you ?

On you on Azamara’s payroll?

Journey is smaller than the “O” Class Seabourn ships, with a pax capacity of over 700 v. 450 on Seabourn. Journey”s space ratio is <43 v Seabourn’s  72.

You have to move up to a “Club Spa Suite” to have a similar size to Seabourn”s standard suite

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Azamara-Journey

I am happy for you that you are enjoying the ship, I’ll stick withSeabourn

6576E9D5-30F1-4BC4-B292-C17F1E11586C.jpeg

B17C90BE-F4A9-4A03-90B3-A3EB5FAA55E4.jpeg

E3C92563-3F87-4118-BB52-571F500589E7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have sailed Seabourn Quest and Sojourn and I like their size.    We are now sailing on the Azamara Journey . We are in the lowest category suite so the cabin size is larger than normal verandas on Seabourn.   

My apologies, Covepointcruiser, I think I misunderstood what you wrote; did you mean that the cabin size on Journey is larger than a  normal 65 sq ft. “veranda only”, on Seabourn, ie the cabin is 156sq, ft which is larger, in fact more than twice as large? 😉

E2689617-0FE2-4960-A8C5-34A276928E5A.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

The comparison between Odyssey and Encore and Cruise enjoyment is negligable. Both offer the exact same signature Seabourn welcome and service.

Facilities for our requirements are covered on both ships. Panda enjoyed the food more so on our Odyssey cruises. Decoratively we prefer Encore , otherwise we would say the sailing is a smoother journey on Encore. Love Seabourn cruising , cannot wait for our next adventure. BTW there is no comparison between Azamara and Seabourn. Azamara is not in the same category of cruise, ship or luxury.

16 hours ago, koalapanda said:

The comparison between Odyssey and Encore and Cruise enjoyment is negligable. Both offer the exact same signature Seabourn welcome and service.

Facilities for our requirements are covered on both ships. Panda enjoyed the food more so on our Odyssey cruises. Decoratively we prefer Encore , otherwise we would say the sailing is a smoother journey on Encore. Love Seabourn cruising , cannot wait for our next adventure. BTW there is no comparison between Azamara and Seabourn. Azamara is not in the same category of cruise, ship or luxury.

Well stated Koalapanda. We couldn’t agree more.  FYI the Encore handled rough sea very very well. 

Edited by raphael360
Sic