Skagway/Yukon tour - help me remember this detail?

Jen731

Can anyone help me with this? We went to Alaska in 2010 and in Skagway did a private tour into the Yukon. I remember stopping somewhere for a barbecue lunch, it was basically the only place to eat on the path from Skagway to Emerald Lake. We are planning our next cruise and I can’t find details for where the private tours stop for food now and if it’s the same place. I do not have great memories of the meal there, and would like to avoid it (if it still exists!). 

Thanks!! 

• Like 1

If it had a 'BBQ chicken lunch with coleslaw, baked potato, homemade roll and all-you-can-eat cake donuts as well as “FREE ADMISSION” to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Museum and the Husky Puppy Camp' it was the  Caribou Crossing Trading Post. The description is from Chilkoot Tours Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion.  When we stopped 6 years ago (group of 8 adults) had no issues with the food but I can't vouch for it now.

• Thanks 1

agree completely.  We rented a car and went up on our own during our last trip. We ate in Carcross and had a very good meal.  We stopped by Caribou Crossing briefly to show our daughter where we stopped on our first trip 10 years prior.

21 hours ago, phred119s said:

agree completely.  We rented a car and went up on our own during our last trip. We ate in Carcross and had a very good meal.  We stopped by Caribou Crossing briefly to show our daughter where we stopped on our first trip 10 years prior.

Where did you eat? Driving that area in July. 

To the OP on this thread, the reason they told you that was "the only place to eat" was that the owners of several "independent companies" are getting a commission on any money that you spend while you are there and so they stay in the same program as the cruise buses, which ALL go there.

There are several truly independent tour companies out of Skagway who eschew this practice and usually stop in or around the real town of  Carcross, where there are several   Options of places with more extensive menus to choose from.

If you are booking a tour with any independent company, out of Skagway, you need to ask them directly about dining options, when you are inquiring.

If you choose to book this tour thru the ship, this is where you will dine, because all of the big buses go there.

if you are renting a car, just make the first left, after you cross the bridge, and you will find yourselves in the town of Carcross. Make the first right that you can and you will see my favorite place to eat, the Sourdough bakery, which I have been told is will be in the charge of the infamous baker named " Dutch" by the time you arrive, who makes the cinnamon rolls that he Canadians are famous for. They also have an assortment of soup and sandwichs and will even make a vegetarian sandwich to order if you wish?

My next favorite place to dine is found outside of the main town. We call it the truck stop, but they also call it Montana Services, which features the only gasoline in over a hundred miles, and they know it!

The restaurant is where most of the locals eat, in the winter, so if you are up for local color, check it out.

good luck to all

DD

• Like 2

We did the tour with Chilkoot Charters several years ago and we indeed did stop at Caribou Crossing for lunch and the stuffed animals zoo (my DD loved the puppy camp there).  I enjoyed the lunch, but it was certainly crowded with people on tours.  

We are going this time with Dyea Dave and we have a lunch scheduled, but I don't believe it is at Caribou Crossing, but a smaller place.  I am trusting that it will be a good, authentic local lunch.