Curious about smaller/older ships

RedBearded84

On 2/16/2019 at 2:48 AM, RedBearded84 said:

Hey! Everyone! Making my first post as I'll be taking my first Cruise in October. Going solo on Carnival Sensation on the 5 Day Cuba cruise Oct 7-12 for my birthday. Always been curious about crusing, and finally decided to hop on board (Pun intended) The appeal of a stop in Havana, as well as 2 sea days, was a big draw for me, as the traditional island hopping cruises don't really appeal to me.

Now with that said, I know the Sensation is one of the smallest/oldest of the fleet, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the modern megaships, and I honestly don't mind that. Was even able to snag a decent deal on a Porthole room (Even as a solo) Obviously there are some disadvantages of being on an older/smaller ship, but what are the perks of being on these ships? Also tips for crusing solo wouldbe beneficial as well.

Thanks!

Hello! I am new to cruising too- hubs and I took our first cruise with friends last October on the Valor, also a smaller and older ship and we had a blast! We did end up getting the beverage package-I usually got a couple specialty coffees each day, along with bottled water, and cocktails sitting on the Serenity deck and a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner, glass or two at dinner, then maybe another drink at comedy club-sounds like a lot but spread through the day. Even on our port day I still got 2 specialty coffees, wine with dinner and drinks in the clubs after.

Also-be warned that cruising may be addictive-our family is actually booked on Sensation in June to GC and Havana! Splurged for balcony room as it will be tight anyway with 2 teens with us-although I suspect we probably won't be in room much.

As far as discount gift cards-newegg.com had $200 Carnival gift cards for $185 today, and I am (im)patiently waiting for Allstate rewards to restock-very very easy to earn points for 10% discount card on Carnival and RC. That 10% I save pays for a drink package! There are threads here on CC on how to get an account.

So nice to see the Sensation getting some love and I am sooo excited for Cuba!!

Happy Sailing!