LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

We had a similar piano in the Owners Suite on Oceania's Riviera and to my glee it was also a player piano.  (My days of playing the piano are long gone and I was never a star anyway...the opposite in fact.)  But the player piano could be programmed and so when we had people for drinks or dinner we had it play.  Really really a nice idea!  I am sure you can find Happy Birthday in its computer somewhere!!

Keep enjoying every minute!

Gerry

Bill, chopsticks is my speed!  Will look into having someone play Happy Birthday to Dennis.

Surprisingly, the Meet and Mingle had 16 CC members.  I was concerned that it was 9:30 a.m. and was up against Terry Breen (her lecture was not well attended which is unusual). 

A tip that likely only applies to La Veranda on Explorer.  There are two sanitizing stations within the area where food is served.  This makes it easy to quickly sanitize your hand(s) after touching the utensils.  IMO, is is very important - especially during the winter, to not touch things such as utensils that have been touched by other passengers and then use the same hand to eat bread, etc. 

I was concerned when Explorer was put in South America.  Mariner has had cases of gastrointestinal issues when it has been in this area and Explorer already has issues on the last cruise.

Very impressed with the "Artful Traveler"program on this cruise.  It is Regent, The Artful Traveler and PBS working together to present lectures, entertainment, Q&A sessions, dinners, etc.   On this cruise (sorry I don't have my notes they are on the iPad that  is having an issue), the lectures and entertainment are amazing.  It is not often that professional Broadway talent is onboard Regent.  Tonight is a Tony winning performer.  Last night's performance was amazing. 

Although the lecturers (wonderful) are on television in the afternoon they are better in person.  This morning, John Maggio who has produced or directed (think it was produced) many PBS series.  This morning his talk was about South Korea and the documentary that will be aired on PBS (in the U.S.) in late April.  It discusses the Korean war from the perspective of the families as well as from the service men and women.  We saw previews and will be able to see the entire show onboard late.  In general, I have little interest in war movies/documentaries (that is my husband's passion).  However, I hung on every word that this man said.

Note before going further - anything that I post that may sound political is simply repeating what was said at the lecture and is not influenced by my beliefs.  I also understand that many CC members are aware of what I am posting but I am simply sharing information by PBS in the hopes that some of you may want to look into these special cruises.  Please let's try not to make this a political discussion.

John states the the war in North Korea really never ended even though there was armistice.  The current leader of North Korea and his predecessors are considered gods and people will do whatever they are told do.  They are told, from the moment they can understand, that the U.S. started the war in Korea and the U.S. is definitely their enemy.

After the war, it was North Korea that built its' economy faster than South Korea.  They were given money from Communist countries to rebuild.   Interestingly, South Korea has the agriculture and North Korea has industry.

It has been said in the media that President Trump hopes to reach a peace agreement on his upcoming trip.  Of course, this is dependent upon what North Korea does with their nuclear weapons.  In the opinion of the speaker, there is no way that North Korea will ever give up their nuclear weapons as it has worked well for them so far.  Guess we'll see.

Looking forward to the next lecture that will begin in 45 minutes.  When I have notes in front of me, I will give some names of who the speakers are and the topics of their lectures if anyone is interested.  Thank I'll continue on a new post in case I lose this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

We had a similar piano in the Owners Suite on Oceania's Riviera and to my glee it was also a player piano.  (My days of playing the piano are long gone and I was never a star anyway...the opposite in fact.)  But the player piano could be programmed and so when we had people for drinks or dinner we had it play.  Really really a nice idea!  I am sure you can find Happy Birthday in its computer somewhere!!

Keep enjoying every minute!

Gerry

Hi Gerry - will have to look at the piano again.  Dennis used to play but now just "plays" (as in messing around with it).  He finds it so enjoyable.

I want to bring up one issue that I am always touting...... speaking up when something is not going the way it should.  Yesterday, the main lights in one room was blinking - very annoying.  So, we called about it in the morning.  Then the piano wasn't working and we called about that.  Lastly, Dennis wanted some diet drinks.  By 3:00 p.m., nothing had happened.  So, I stopped by to see Massimo (G.M.) and by the time I returned to the suite, the person that works on piano's was at our door (the issue ended up being ours - we somehow turned it off).  Then the butler was there with diet drinks.  Finally, it took 3 people to fix the electrical issue.  They were still there when we left the suite and everything was fixed by the time that we returned.  IMO, it is important to be pleasant to whomever you are speaking with as being upset or yelling is not necessary and makes the person that is yelling look bad.

Lastly, before going upstairs to plug in my iPad in the hopes of getting it working again, I want to comment on the photos of the Master suite.  I typically do not say what suite that we are in unless asked OR if it was the result of an upsell.  While some upsells can be great, others can be quite pricey.  This upsell comes in the latter category.  For some reason this was a pricey cruise (given the itinerary) and most of the upper suites had availability up until 2 weeks ago.  The upper suites filled up quickly when the offers went out. 

In any case, glad that posters enjoyed the photos.  Still have to do the 2nd bedroom and wine list but need my iPad for that.  Fingers crossed that I'll get it working.

Jackie

Sorry — that was really a mess and is likely too difficult to read.  So, I’ll quickly post names/countries/prices and if you would like the deception, just ask.  Will try to spell things correctly and not have typos but no promises.

CHAMPAGNE

VINTAGE

Moet et Chandon “Cuvée Dom Perignon” 2009 / Brut / Epernay / $199

Louis Roederer “Cristal Rose” 2006/2009 / Brut / Reims / $525

NON-VINTAGE

Veuvre Cliquot “Ponsardin” / Brut / Reims / $69

Moet et Chandon Imperial Rose / Brut / Epernay / $97

Pommery Rose / 375 ml / Brut / Reims / $60

Pommery Magnum / Grand Brut / Reims / $156

CHARDONNAY

FRANCE

Louis-Jadot Meursault, 1er Cru Charms 2016 / Chardonnay/ Cote de Beaune / Burgundy $110 (note” 1er is not my typo but may be Regent’s)

Louis-Jadot, Puligny, Montrachet A.O.C. 2016 / Chardonnay / Cote de Beaune / Burgundy / $93

Domaine Dauvissat, Mountmains, Chablis Premier Cru 2015 / Chardonnay / Burgundy $60

UNITED STATES

Rombauer 2016/217 Chardonnay / Napa Valley / California $60

Cakebread Ceelleeras 2016 / Chardonnay / Napa Valley / California $65

Patz & Hall Dutton Ranch 2015/2016 / Chardonnay / Russian River Valley, California / $105

Paul Hobbs 2016 / Chardonnay / Russian River Valley/ California / $75

WHITE WINES

SAUVIGNON BLANC

FRANCE

Alphonse Mellon Sancerr Edmond 20615 / Sauvignon Blanc / Loire Valley / $65

Chateau Latour-Martillac Grand Cru Classe 2915 / Sauvignon Blanc / Semillon / Pessac-Leognan / Bordeaux / $70

Chateau Smith Haut Lefitte Grand Vin de Graves 2013 / Sauvignon Blanc / Pessac-Legnan / Bordeaux / $149

ITALY

Tenuta dell’ Onellaia Poggio Allen Gazze 2013 / Sauvignon Blanc / Tuscany / $73

UNITED STATES

Joseph Phelps 2015 / Sauvignon Blanc / Napa Valley/ California / $60

Flora Springs 2016/2017 / Sauvignon Blanc / Napa Valley/ California / $60

Grgich Hills 2014 Fume Blanc / Napa Valley / California / $60

continued on next post

NEW ZEALAND

Cloudy Bay 2017 / Sauvignon Blanc / Marlborough / $60

REISLING

GERMANY

Dr. H. Thanisch, Bruneberger Spatlese 2006 / Riesling / Mosel / $60

Dr. Loosen, Wehlener Sonnenuhr 2012 / Riesling / Mosel / $76

VIOGNIER

FRANCE

E. Guigal, Condrieu 2014 / Viogner / Rhône Valley / $85

ITALY

La Scolca Black Label Gavi di Gavi 2014 / Cortes / Piedmont / $60

CHENIN BLNC

UNITED STATES

Chappellet 2013 / Chenin Blanc / Napa Valley, / California / $97

SOUTH AFRICA

Kenn Forrester FMC 2016 / Chenin Blanc. Stellenbosch / $72

RED WINES

CABERNET SAUVIGNON (for ease of typing, not going to repeat “Cabernet Sauvignon” every time it appears - I’ll call it CS” and California will be CA

UNITED STATES

Joseph Phelps 2015 / CS / Napa Valley / CA / $95

Jordan 2013 / CS / Alexander. Valley / CA / $90

Groth Winery 2014 / CS / Napa Valley / CA $85

Caymus Vineyards 2016 / CS / Napa Valley, / CA / $110

Silverado Vineyards “Solo” Stag Leap District 2016 / CS / Napa Valley / CA /$115

Cakebread Cellars 215 / CS / Napa Valley / CA / 95

Revana 2014 / CS / Napa Valley / CA / $132

Far Niente 2015/2016 / CS / Napa Valley / CA / $195

Joseph Phelps “Insignia” 2014 / CS / Napa Valley /CA / $250

Baron Philippe de Rothschild & Robert Mondavi “Opus Onne” 2014 / Cabernet Franc-Merlot / Napa Valley / CA / $325

Honig 2015 Magnum / CS/ Napa Valley / CA / 140

CHILE

Concha Y Toro “Don Melchor” 2015 / CS / Puente Alto / $130

SPAIN 

Torres Mas (Black Label), La Plana 2013 / CS / Penedes/ $65

BLENDS

FRANCE

M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf-du-Pape La Bernardino 2015 / Grenache, Syrah / Rhône Valley / $60

La. Chapelle de Mission Haut-Brion 2014 / CS, Merlot, Cabernet France, Petit Verdot Pessac-Leognan/ Bordeaux / $103

Chateau Cantemerle 5eme Cru Classe 2011/2014 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Haut Medco / Bordeaux / $80

Chatau Fombrauge, Grand Cru 2012/2014 / Cabernet Franc, Merlot, / Saint Emillion. Bordeaux / $60

Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte, Grand Cru Classe de Graves 2013 / CS, Merlot, Cabernet Franc / Pessac-Leognan / Bordeaux / $150

Chateau Ducru , Beaucaillou,  2012 CS/ Merlot/Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot / Saint-Julien / Bordeaux /$250

Chateau Cos d’Estournel 2014 / CS, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Peetit Verdot / Saint-Estephe / Bordeaux / $240

Gerald Bertrand Minervois La Liviniere Clos d’Ora 2014, Syrah, Mourvedre, Carignan, Minervois, La Liviniere / Languedoc-Russillon / $225

Chateau Figeac, Grand Cru Classe “B” 2012/201 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Saint-Emilion/ Bordeaux / $160

Chateau Lynch Bages, 5eme Cru Classe’ 2006/2015 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Paulillac / Bordeaux $225

Cheau Palmer, 3eme Cru Classe 2013 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Margaux/ Bordeaux / $405

Chateau Haut-Briton Rouge 2014 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Pessac-Leognan / Bordeaux / $815

Chateau Margaux, 1er Cru Classe 2012 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Margaux/ Bordeaux / $1,100

UNITED STATES

Chateau Ste. Michelle & Marchesi Antinori, “Col Solare” 2014 / CS, Sangiovese/ Columbia Valley / Washington State / $95

Heidi Barret Pirate TreasuRed 2014 / CS, Syrah, Merlot,  Grenache, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot,  Petit Sarah / Napa Valley / CA / $105

Benziger Estate “Tribute” 2014 / CS, Cabernet Franc / Sonoma / CA / $83

Verite la Joie 2011/2013/ CS, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec / Sonoma /CA / $415

Paraduxx 2015 / CS, Zinfandel / Napa Valley / CA / $60

CHILE

Sena Mondavi-Chadwick 2012 / CS, Cabernet Franc, Merlot / Aconcagua Valley / $130

More to come when I have time:

Merlot

Pinot Noir

Zinfandel

Shiraz/Syrah

Malbec

Carmenere

Sangiovese

Super Tuscans

Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara 

Nebbiolo

Tempranillo

Dessert Wines

Fortunately, there are few choices under some of these categories.

Going to get ready for our “Formal Optional” night when Dennis will wear his tux! 

I'm not really a big champagne drinker, but they served the Moet et Chandon “Cuvée Dom Perignon” 2009 at the premium wine lunch on Voyager last month and - boy howdy! - if I could afford to drink that on a regular basis I'd be a champagne convert.  It was superb.  I'm kind of glad they didn't break out the Cristal - I can at least justify the occasional splurge on the Cuvée Dom Perignon once in a while, but it would be tough to bring home a bottle of the Cristal...

My goodness Jackie! After seeing what you had to do to present the wine list I am ashamed that I asked to borrow time out of your vacation to tend to my curiosity!  You are truly a dedicated friend to those who love to experience Regent!  Thank you for that.  Please don't worry about sending the rest of the list.  I've seen enough to know that my taste and budget can both be easily accommodated by their offerings!  Hoping to discover new wines from around the world on their complimentary offerings as well!  

6 minutes ago, OrthoCruiser said:

My goodness Jackie! After seeing what you had to do to present the wine list I am ashamed that I asked to borrow time out of your vacation to tend to my curiosity!  You are truly a dedicated friend to those who love to experience Regent!  Thank you for that.  Please don't worry about sending the rest of the list.  I've seen enough to know that my taste and budget can both be easily accommodated by their offerings!  Hoping to discover new wines from around the world on their complimentary offerings as well!  

Usually within the first couple of days onboard, they have a wine tasting of all the complementary wines offered onboard, so that you can taste them and kind of figure out which ones you like.  We didn't go to the one on our recent cruise as it was at the same time as the CC party, but it is useful if you can attend.

Hi again Jackie - Fongergot???  I was going to congratulate myself for actually finding this thread but perhaps not!  I'm sure I read through it before sending it!  Just another reminder - Michael and I will be on Explorer on 8 August - don't suppose Dennis could celebrate twice?   xxx

Madame has been cruising continuously since 1964, but today’s M & M was Sir and Madame’s first cocktail party at 09.30 in the morning!  This posed a quandary as how to dress - normal daywear, or standard evening cocktail attire?

The party offered a good opportunity to meet fellow CC’ers, officers and staff, and Travelcat2 certainly proved to be a social animal. Thanks to Lorraine for organising the event, which Sir & Madame enjoyed.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

5 hours ago, OrthoCruiser said:

Whew - thank you for that post.  I was having one heck of a time with my iPad deciding that I didn’t mean what I typed so I had to correct the iPad. I love helping people new to Regent and when I say that I will do something, I try to follow through.  Appreciate the reprieve.

Had dinner with the Food and Beverage Manager and learned that he is departing the ship to go on vacation in 3 or 4 days.  So, while I did ask for the complimentary wine list, not sure it will happen;  When they have a wine tasting, they have little papers with the name of the wines (all included) and I’ll be happy to take photos and post them

Hope that you love Explorer as much as we do!

Jackie - what you said about telling staff that something doesn't work, missing etc is SO well put.  What use is it to let things slide when a complaint is made and then ***** about something not working on the end of cruise evaluation.  Plus I would like to underline what you said about the right attitude when making a complaint!  Say something with a smile and people listen.  Yell at someone - they want to get as far away as possible!!

I have read some references to a list of complimentary / included wines.  I know you said you had requested that but the F&B manager was leaving the ship... maybe the GM can get it for you to post?   I would love to see it to compare it with the list on Oceania.  (And that, as you know, is on every table!!)

Take care - keep the pix coming!

Gerry

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I want to bring up one issue that I am always touting...... speaking up when something is not going the way it should.  Yesterday, the main lights in one room was blinking - very annoying.  So, we called about it in the morning.  Then the piano wasn't working and we called about that.  Lastly, Dennis wanted some diet drinks.  By 3:00 p.m., nothing had happened.  So, I stopped by to see Massimo (G.M.) and by the time I returned to the suite, the person that works on piano's was at our door (the issue ended up being ours - we somehow turned it off).  Then the butler was there with diet drinks.  Finally, it took 3 people to fix the electrical issue.  They were still there when we left the suite and everything was fixed by the time that we returned.  IMO, it is important to be pleasant to whomever you are speaking with as being upset or yelling is not necessary and makes the person that is yelling look bad.

intresting reports & photos

bad that butler housekeeper reception did not give you what you wanted

butler should not get a tip

who did you yell at?

Travelcat, it’s great that you made your connection! I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread since our first Regent cruise will be on the Explorer in April. If you could take note of some of the Canyon Ranch selections, that would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Travelcat, it’s great that you made your connection! I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread since our first Regent cruise will be on the Explorer in April. If you could take note of some of the Canyon Ranch selections, that would be much appreciated.

Will do!  It may take a few days as we are dining, etc. with people from The Artful Traveler and PBS groups.  Note:  Assume you are talking about dining selections rather than spa treatments.  in my opinion, their spa, aromatherapy, dry and wet saunas and the infinity pool (available for everyone at no cost) is by far the best on Regent.   Their workout areas are also wonderful.

seaknots - I truly never yell at anyone.  The issues we have are resolved by a simple talk with Massimo. (G.M.).  We are happy with everything and everyone - no complaints.  

Lots more to post, however, the port visits and Artful Traveler events keep us busy.

Edited by Travelcat2

Before leaving Chilean waters, i observed a mock sea battle before Explorer departed Coquimbo.

This port came to notoriety in the late 16th Century, as the base of the English Corsairs.  These privateers raided the Spanish galleons, which had themselves looted gold and silver from the local population.

The battle reenactment in the harbour pitted a Corsair against a galleon with mock cannon fire.

This was a humorous and fitting conclusion to our call at this interesting port.

Kindest regards

Master Echo