LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

Nicaragua March 1st

One of the reasons for choosing this cruise was to go to Nicaragua, as it is the only country on this itinerary I have not visited.

Once again Sir & Madame beat the dawn, and went on the balcony to see what the day would bring.  The grey skies, heavy swell, and the strong wind filled them with consternation. These weather conditions were the worst of the cruise so far, and of course if San Juan del Sur had not been a tender port, it would not have mattered.  However after a room service breakfast, they mustered in the Constellation Theatre at 7.00 am ( for the second day running!).to be told that the tendering operation had not yet begun.  Their worst fears were realised when the Captain announced that the call would  be aborted due to the high winds which were forecast to strengthen during the day.  One tender did in fact make it ashore, but I understand it was a medical evacuation.

Some passengers who had previously been to Nicaragua, said there wasn’t much to see there.  Many many years ago someone told Madame that Venice wasn’t worth visiting as it smelled, her answer -“ maybe so, but I want to smell it for myself”!

It was two very despondent and dejected passengers who returned to their cabin!  Maybe one day?

Another comment on Chartreuse.  Sir & Madame had lunch in there today.  The atmosphere was so markedly different from that of the evening and they enjoyed their meal very much.  However they were served by a waiter from the Far East to whom they had spoken many times previously, who said they are given French tuition,  but that he found the pronunciation extremely difficult.  Well naturally, used to a tonal language, obviously French, indeed any Latin language would be difficult to speak.  Imagine Westerners being expected to converse in Cantonese or Mandarin!!  I prefer to let the food speak for itself and have a distaste for wait staff being made to put on an act.  These are the facts, this is my opinion, others are entitled to disagree.

Some CC posters have referred to Regent cruises experiencing gastro-intestinal problems when sailing in South American waters.  On my three previous cruises in this sector, there has never been any problems of this nature.

During the lunch stop in Guayaquil Sir & Madame were seated in direct view of two of our arriving coach parties entering the restaurant,  and few visited the bathroom prior to sitting down to eat!  Although it is possible that they had used sanitising wipes prior to arrival.  A pity really as the bathroom was spotless, and offered both liquid soap, & hand cream from an expensive London retailer.

Unfortunately this also occurs when passengers enter the dining venues on Explorer, despite the daily mantra from the staff to wash your hands & use the sanitisers provided.

As I think TC2 has already commented, Explorer is looking in good shape, however on closer inspection all is not right.  There are very many mosaics missing from the pool surrounds, leaving as one would expect some rough patches.  Unfortunately when leaving the pool side, Sir scraped his toe badly which wasn’t discovered until a trail of blood appeared on the mat in the cabin before showering!  Luckily my plasters were readily at hand.

Finally

The Green Flash

My sunset watching whilst at sea was rewarded tonight with the highly illusive Green Flash.  This is a meteorological phenomenon, whereby as the sun is slipping from the horizon, a green flash occurs momentarily for as little as a second, so blink and you miss it.  In all my seafaring days I have only seen it once before tonight.  The green flash can also be seen from mountain tops & apparently pilots regularly see it at sunset when flying westwards. I was also very fortunate to observe this atmospheric occurrence when coming down from Mount Avila, Caracas, Venezuela in the cable car.  It was a magnificent sight as the whole of the sky turned green as the sun sank.  

Maybe this was God’s way of making up for my disappointment earlier in the day.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

PS my exploits in Guatemala will follow later.  

TC2 In case you did not pick up my phone message earlier, I hope that you had a restful afternoon and will soon be 100%.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Master Echo said:

Finally

The Green Flash

My sunset watching whilst at sea was rewarded tonight with the highly illusive Green Flash.  This is a meteorological phenomenon, whereby as the sun is slipping from the horizon, a green flash occurs momentarily for as little as a second, so blink and you miss it.  In all my seafaring days I have only seen it once before tonight.  The green flash can also be seen from mountain tops & apparently pilots regularly see it at sunset when flying westwards. 

It is an interesting thing to watch indeed, and we have been able to see it almost every evening lately here on Maui.  We are at an elevation of about 1,800 feet on the western slope of Mount Haleakala.

3 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

It is an interesting thing to watch indeed, and we have been able to see it almost every evening lately here on Maui.  We are at an elevation of about 1,800 feet on the western slope of Mount Haleakala.

Yes- when we lived in Honolulu it was a common occurrence. If you happen to be in a public place (restaurant) the locals will clap if a Green Flash is seen. Crazy Hawaiians 😊

Question for those on board and especially TC2.  My wife and I anxiously await our transatlantic boarding on the 25th.  Is there anyway to know what the entertainment schedule, cruise director or any other pertinent information can be found on this cruise?  Any inside tips that you have learned on this cruise that you could pass along would also be most helpful.  Waitstaff you like, etc.

Edited by Nicho99

First, Marc, I will be happy to say hi to Kadek for  you.  He is a lovely man and a wonderful bartender.

Nicho99 - will try to help.  Lorraine will still be onboard as Cruise Director and Massimo will still be the General Manager.  There has been quite a turnover in crew in the last couple of ports but the service remains excellent.  Not sure about the Captain but I believe that the Captain will not change (sorry - but it is 9:30 p.m.  - too much sake - and I do not recall his name). 

I find it interesting that Master Echo found things that needed refurbishment in areas that we have not been.  A Corporate representative was been onboard and now we have the head of housekeeping on board.  Regent Corporate definitely has a presence on their ships. When we hosted a lovely couple in our suite to today to see the wonderful movie, The
Green Book, we noticed stains on the sofa that should not be there.  I have no doubt that this will  be corrected.

Dennis has a wonderful excursion in Guatamala.   Just emailed my daughter and asked how to transfer photos from our iPhone to our iPad.  Once I learn how to do that, I will post photos.

Greetings from Madame Black Eyes😌

Had a similar experience to yours, Master Echo - a few years ago we were on a western Caribbean cruise and excited to see Honduras.   Unfortunately could not dock due to high winds...  very disappointing mais - c'est la vie as we say around here.

I think your point about hand washing should be repeated time and time again.  There is simply no substitute for it and the more hands are washed the fewer microbes are on them.   And what does it cost?  Time - 3 minutes.  But ahh!  One must think about it!!!

Jackie -  hope your eyes are looking better and that you have no headaches etc.  Will love to see the photos of Guatemala once you fish them out of Dennis's camera.   I think we have the same stops in Guatemala and Nicaragua on next year's cruise?   

Good morning from Explorer.  Everyone seems bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning (wonder who came up with that line?)

I was reminded last night that the Explorer will be fitted with the new water system when she docks in Miami (do not know the date but on March 9th Explorer departs Los Angeles to Miami.  I’ am warming to the idea somewhat.  There are way too many plastic bottles onboard.  

The entertainer that I raved about, Mark Preston, returns tonight.  Amazing voice and real Las Vegas entertainmentt.  Not sure if he will be onboard for the next leg but I he is, I’d recommend seeing his show.

This is Sunday - it is a sea day and we are enjoying champagne and caviar.  As I thought, they do not do multiple Sunday brunches in Compass Roe (perhaps they do on longer itineraries. This one is 20 nights).

When I have time I’ll list some of the many activities available on this sea day.  There is usually an interest in this subject,

More when I am in the computer room.

• Like 1

Me again.  There are so many things to list that I have abbreviated some of them.  Just want to give people an idea of a "typical" day at sea (there will be typos):

All Day

Jigsaw Puzzle Table

Replays on television of the lectures from the previous day]

Mensa Daily Quiz

7 a.m. - Walk a Mile with Fitness Director

8:30 a.m. Morning Stretch with Fitness Director

9:00 a.m - Interdenominational Worship Service

9:00 a.m. - Solos and Social Travelers Breakfast

9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p;.m. 18 hole golf putting, Shuffleboard, Paddle Tennis, Pickleball (not a typo,  ping pong

9:00 a.m. - Fitness workout - sign up necessary

9:15 a.m. Beginners Bridge Class

9:30 a.m. RSSC Enrichment Lecture Series - "Mexican Perspectives: Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas with Michael Scott

10:15 a.m. "Baggo" with Entertainment Team

10:30 a.m. Spotlight on Public Broadcasting - "A look at the4 2020 Presidential Election" ()Charlie Cook)

10: 45 a.m. Intermediate Bridge Class

11:00 a.m. Caron's Creative Crafting - "The Ribbon Gift Bag"

11:00 a.m. - Canyon Ranch seminar - "Secrets to your Optimal Health and Weight Loss"

11:15 a.m. - Photo Scavenger Hunt

11:30 a.m. - Canyon Ranch Seminar - "Back in Motion"

11:40 a.m. - Bingo Bonanza

Need a new paragraph

12:00 noon - Fish Al Fresco Fish Buffet

12:00 noon - Cocktail demonstration by bar staf

12:15 - 1:00 pm  Sailing Sounds - Soak up the sun with music from The Alphard Duo (weather permitting)

1:15 pm. Duplicate and Social Bridge with bridge instructors

1:30 p.m. - Pickle Ball Enthusiasts meet (not hosted)

1:30 p.m. Blackjack Tournament

2:00 p.m. Mah Jongg (unhosted)

2:30 p.m. - Texas Hold 'Em Tournament

2:30 p.m. - Canyon Ranch Seminar - "Skin Talks"

3:00 p.m.  RSSC Entertainment Lecture Series (TERRY BREEN) - "Deciphering Maya Hieroglyphic Code"

3:15 p.m. - Bocce with Entertainment Team

3:45 p.m.- Needlepoint Nook with Social Hostess

4:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Cheesecake Tea Time

4:30 p..m. - Trivia

5:00 p.m,. - "Total Tubes" with fitness instructor (needs sign up)

5:30 p.m. - Mat Pilates with fitness instructor (needs sign up)

5:45 p.m. Regent Proudly Presents "Classical Take on Modern Music and More" - David KIinkenberg (violonist)

Evening will be coming up after lecture.

17 hours ago, Master Echo said:

The Green Flash

My sunset watching whilst at sea was rewarded tonight with the highly illusive Green Flash.  This is a meteorological phenomenon, whereby as the sun is slipping from the horizon, a green flash occurs momentarily for as little as a second, so blink and you miss it.  In all my seafaring days I have only seen it once before tonight.  The green flash can also be seen from mountain tops & apparently pilots regularly see it at sunset when flying westwards. I was also very fortunate to observe this atmospheric occurrence when coming down from Mount Avila, Caracas, Venezuela in the cable car.  It was a magnificent sight as the whole of the sky turned green as the sun sank.  

Just a quick comment.  I grew up in San Diego near the ocean.  I have been lucky enough to have seen the Green Flash many times.  I was also a career aviator.  I have seen the Green Flash while airborne.  On one flight to the West Coast, we watched the sun set and saw the Green Flash.  A few minutes later,  due to a heading change, the sun "came back up" and then set again and we again saw the Green Flash.  Twice in a very short time frame.  That's when I looked at my Copilot and told him why I loved my job.  😎

On 3/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, Travelcat2 said:

I believe that I mentioned that the main bartenders on Explorer are women.  I have nothing against female bartenders - but do have an issue with the prejudice.  After all, there are likely as many great male bartenders as female bartenders.

i have to say i am surprised by this comment. For years and years a female could not be the main bartender, it was only male bartenders on most if not all ships. Now women have finally broken through that glass ceiling and have access to that job and it is wonderful they have the opportunity. It is likely a concidence that they are all female on Explorer because i am pretty sure that there are not all female on every one of Regent's ships. 

Why is it prejudice that on one ship they all happen to be female? 

My last cruise in November on Navigator bingo was also held right at lunch time...I found this timing awful and although I usually go to bingo ...I never went once.  I was hoping it was an isolated event but evidently not.  In the past it was late afternoon...oh well..save that money. 

38 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

i have to say i am surprised by this comment. For years and years a female could not be the main bartender, it was only male bartenders on most if not all ships. Now women have finally broken through that glass ceiling and have access to that job and it is wonderful they have the opportunity. It is likely a concidence that they are all female on Explorer because i am pretty sure that there are not all female on every one of Regent's ships. 

Why is it prejudice that on one ship they all happen to be female? 

Sorry that you were surprised by my comment.  As a person with a long background in Human Resources, I am quite sensitive to prejudice of any kind.  Had I not heard from two sources (prior to boarding Explorer) that Explorer only has female bartenders, I likely would not have noticed.  However, in my opinion, reverse discrimination is not okay either.

Today, women still have to fight harder to get some jobs.  I do not want this to turn into a political discussion but will simply say that the most qualified person should be the one that gets the job.

I want to add one point to this based on this cruise alone.  The female head bartender in one lounge is delightful - friendly, etc.  However, the male assistant bartender has worked his way up on Regent since 2010.  The man two seats from me on my right at the bar ordered the same drink that my husband did (Regent Seven Seas cocktail).  This cocktail has muddled grapes in it and is strained while being poured in a glass.  It is topped with a decorative toothpick type thing with three grapes on it.  The assistant bartender prepared my DH’s drink perfectly (he made consistently good drinks throughout the cruise).  The head bartender made the same cocktail and gave it to the man to my right.  It was not strained (grape seeds could be spotted in the drink).  After it was served, in what seemed to be an afterthought, she asked if he would like a garnish.  While I do not wish to put down the female bartender, isn’t the assistant bartender suppose to learn from the head bartender?  This is what led me to finally post about that I feel is a strange policy.   

So, let m finish the itinerary for today. 

EVENING -  DRESS CODE: ELEGANT CASUAL

Ladies:  Skirts or slacks, (no jeans) with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses

Gentlemen:  Slacks (no jeans) and collared shirts.  Sports jackets are optional.

6:00 - 7:30 p.m.  - Cocktails and Vistas with Ros playing the piano in the Observation Lounge.

6:15. - 7:45 p.m. - Cocktails, Canapés and dancing.  The Alphard Duo, Cip and Lorena invite you to the dance floor (Explorer Lounge)

6:45 - 7:45 p.m. - Guitar Grandeur.  Enjoy the six string talent with the Regent Signature Orchestra’s guitarist Alex

7:45.  7:15 p.m.- Solo and Social Travelers meets up with Social Hostess Caron for cocktails with the option to continue on to dinner together.

8:45 - 9:30 p.m. - After Dinner Dancing:  The Alphard Duo present melodies for your dancing pleasure (Explorer Lounge)

9:30 p.m. REGENT PROUDLY PRESENTS ‘BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND’ MARK PRESTON.  

10:00 - 11:30 p.m - At the 88’S (no clue what that means) “R & B ROSS” Memorabl music with Ross in the room with a view

10:15 — 11:45 p.m. - Live and Late Dancing. - Explorer Lounge

10:45 - 11:30 ppm. Variety Dance night in the Meredian Lounge.

11:45 - Late - Jukester Jukebox.  Select your favorite hits on our digital use box iPad with thousands of songs to choose from.

A couple of notes and missed things:

Missed 2:00 p.m. “Beginners Ballroom”:  The Jive. Join Explorer Production Cast and Crew and World Champion Ballroom Dancers Max and Safiya as they teach the basics of tango

There is also “Cocktails and Conversation with Michael Kantor” - part of the PBS team. That does the Masters Series.

Last note:  I happened to pick a night where there are no special late night activities such as whiskey tasting, Liar’s Club, etc.   There is always plenty to do on sea days!

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie, Thank you for posting about the many activities on sea days and all the other information and commentary ( same to Master Echo). You're wetting my appetite for our upcoming transcanal cruise on Explorer!

One thing Ive noticed consistently is that they do Pilates classes late in the day. Not good if you like to be ready by 6:30-7:00 pm to enjoy cocktails. So unfortunately, I usually dont avail myself of these classes.

Dont know if it has been mentioned before, are they serving dinner on deck?

Jackie, so sorry about your mishap! Hope you're doing better, glad it was not more serious!

Thanks for your continued reporting!

25 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Jackie, Thank you for posting about the many activities on sea days and all the other information and commentary ( same to Master Echo). You're wetting my appetite for our upcoming transcanal cruise on Explorer!

I think you forgot that we are leaving in about three weeks on our Transatlantic cruise. Our trans canal cruise is on Splendor in March 2020! 

Luv U

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

7 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I think you forgot that we are leaving in about three weeks on our Transatlantic cruise. Our trans canal cruise is on Splendor in March 2020! 

Luv U

Sheila

LOL!!! Thank you for setting me right. See you soon, cant wait!!

Jackie, just wanted to add my complements to this most enjoyable report.  It is so kind of you to take the time to provide so much information!

And thanks to Sir and Madame as well.

Question- do you know how long Lorraine will be on the Explorer?  We are coming on in August, I don't imagine contracts run that long.  We ❤️ Lorraine!

Bob

5 hours ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, just wanted to add my complements to this most enjoyable report.  It is so kind of you to take the time to provide so much information!

And thanks to Sir and Madame as well.

Question- do you know how long Lorraine will be on the Explorer?  We are coming on in August, I don't imagine contracts run that long.  We ❤️ Lorraine!

Bob

Bob, Lorraine will be back onboard this ship (not 100% guaranteed due to Splendor causing changes) mid-August.  We love Lorraine too!

Breaking news!  (Maybe) Computer guru just stopped by and said that Explorer's internet speed was increased by 40% today.  Will let you know.  If this is true, Bill may have to do a dance and post it on CC🤡

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Breaking news!  (Maybe) Computer guru just stopped by and said that Explorer's internet speed was increased by 40% today.  Will let you know.  If this is true, Bill may have to do a dance and post it on CC.

Dancing GIF

• Haha 1

Bill,  you have aged a bit since your avatar photo but you do one heck of a dance (with the non-matching socks).😀  :classic_ohmy:

Maria - you bring up a great point about the timing of some events.  One would think that they could switch it around a bit.  Still think that you will have a lovely cruise.  I'll be interested in learning about the new water system as I believe your sailing will be the first one with filtered water in your suite.  Almost forgot - yes - they are doing dinner on the deck - weather permitting.  They have had some good participation there from what I've heard.

This morning when I woke up in Acapulco and remembered that the temperature was going to be 90 degrees and that we were going to watch cliff divers, I decided to stay in bed and in the air conditioning of the ship.  I'm sure that the cliff divers are wonderful but I am so looking forward to Cabo (where it will likely be cooler) that I'm content to hang out on the ship and save my somewhat limited energy.  Dennis will let me know how it was.

Thank you for your well wishes.  One black-eye is almost gone  - the other fading a bit.  Walking without assistance so everything is good.  I try to always have a positive attitude and not let inconveniences get me down.  Actually, losing one's ability to walk easily on a temporary basis is a lesson (one that I learned when my knee was replaced 4 years ago).  There are many people where this is their daily life and not an inconvenience for a short time.  Okay - off of my soap box.

The show last night was good but not as great at his first one.  I suspect that his return to the stage was truly by popular demand and he did not necessarily had another full show ready (working with the band, etc.) but he did better than most entertainers that I have seen on Regent (personal opinion of course).

Bill, I suppose that you want to know how the internet is.   Well, you'll just have to wait for that:classic_rolleyes:

P.S.  Sheila - 💜

TC2 agree with you about Mark Preston, and for the same reason.  Maybe too short a notice, although he did get a standing ovation at the end.  He has still "got it"" and would love to see another of his shows.

Glad that the Black Eyes are diminishing.

WiFi working fine on our balcony, whereas previously it was dreadful, so maybe the promise of 40% boost has had an effect.

Kindest Regards

Master Echo

Small World

In 2013 I took a 37 night cruise from Cape Town to Barcelona. At dinner one evening Sir & Madame shared a table with a couple whom we had not seen previously nor did they see subsequently. Several nights ago they met the same couple whilst dining on a sharing table - small world!

When a New York friend heard about this cruise, he said that we must go and watch Billy Stritch perform, which we did. He  also emailed Billy and told him to look out for us. Yesterday morning, Billy and Linda Lavin were on an adjacent lounger round the pool, and were very pleasant company.

It is remarkable on the last day of the cruise you see people disembarking with you who you have never seen before.  This is of course due to different life styles on board.  

Most cruise passengers fall into one of three different categories.  There are the lizards who lie in the sun all day, and occasionally slither into the pool to cool off.  Then there are the eventers who take part in the activities organised by the Cruise Director.  Finally there are the vampires, who you never see during the day, and only come out at night to feed!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1