LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

15 minutes ago, captjohn said:

Hi Jackie, I am very glad you OK after your fall ! Also our best wishes to Dennis for his Bday. Your pictures and descriptions  have wonderful. Now after buttering you up😊 I do have a question, could you give a "ships health report". We are hopping not to go aboard and catch a cold or worse.

Thanks, John

John, as long as you wear the appropriate cruise wear, you'll be fine...

Image result for biohazard suit

• Like 2

John, when we boarded the ship we had already read about many passengers having coughs on the ship.  This is probably not unusual for this time of the year.  For the first week (during which time we both had colds), we heard a lot of coughing.

Now the good news ....not hearing coughing or about anyone being sick.  We made it through Lima without going Code Red.  :classic_biggrin:  An exception to that statement is a CC’er (and cruising friends) did come down with a cold a couple of days ago..  

So everything is happy and healthy about Explorer.

More in a bit - having breakfast.

Good morning, now at anchor with Norwegian Escape blotting out our view of Cabo - what a big ugly hulk!!

Whilst any cruise wherever in the world, has its fair share of coughs and colds, passed around by the A/C system, this trip has been nothing out of the ordinary. Both Sir & Madame have had slight colds, but felt if they didnt mention it,  the germs would dissipate quicker!  

However there have been several emergency medical evacuations - reasons unknown,  but such events, and indeed fatalities, are unfortunately not an infrequent occurrence.  Many years ago, Madame was invited to a party by the Doctor in his quarters.  He told us that there were three deceased in the mortuary!  

The change in dietary and activity regimes, coupled with higher than normal temperatures can prove too much for elderly cruise passengers.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Jackie- know it's been said many times, already, but want to add my thanks for all the reports, ship details, and beautiful pics (esp., the animals).

Thanks, as well to Master echo for your very in depth reporting. Most interesting!

"?"- which category on board do you and Madame fit into😏😄

It is great to check in here every day, always learn something to store away for future cruises. It will likely be a yr and a half before our next one, maybe a short Mariner close to home- LA to LA. And then maybe Rio to Barcelona on Voyager 6 months later. I think we will save the "fancy" ships for later🙂

Big Apologies!!

The ship which blocked our view on arrival was NOT the "Escape" but the Norwegian Star.  My brain is addling in the heat, had just read a report of the "Escape" being caught in a 115 mph wind shortly after leaving NYC, now docked safely in Florida.

Explorer has now been joined by the HAL's Volendam!!  Any more and and we will have more people on the ships than the population of Cabo!!  So reminiscent of the West Indian islands these days unfortunately.

Vegasdriven -  I am glad that you found my posts interesting and thank you for your kind comments.  At the risk of blowing their cover - I have to tell you that Sir & Madame are lizards, but I am in a category of my own, being an Ipadologist!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Just to advise that the Explorer Cough is alive and well and emanating from various spots on Pool Deck!  

The cicada that has taken up residence, initially in the forward Pool Deck shower, and the above the bar cintinues to adverise for a mate.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RachelG said:

Mine do too as they all go to the cloud.  But that only happens once a day, during the night, so if you want them to go over sooner, you have to use airdrop.

Mine go several times a day.  Often within minutes. Of course, devices at home are constantly on WiFi.  On vacation that may not be the case.  As others have mentioned both devices have to have Bluetooth activated to do the instantaneous AirDrop.

1 hour ago, Master Echo said:

Big Apologies!!

The ship which blocked our view on arrival was NOT the "Escape" but the Norwegian Star.  My brain is addling in the heat, had just read a report of the "Escape" being caught in a 115 mph wind shortly after leaving NYC, now docked safely in Florida.

Explorer has now been joined by the HAL's Volendam!!  Any more and and we will have more people on the ships than the population of Cabo!!  So reminiscent of the West Indian islands these days unfortunately.

Vegasdriven -  I am glad that you found my posts interesting and thank you for your kind comments.  At the risk of blowing their cover - I have to tell you that Sir & Madame are lizards, but I am in a category of my own, being an Ipadologist!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Much nicer than Cabo, is San Jose del Cabo, an artsy colonial town about 30 miles away. An easy cab ride or there are buses. We have a time share at the beach and go several times a year. Cabo has been ruined by tourism for years.  There are some pretty beaches etc.but just not worth it.  

We did a lot in Cabo today (no excursions).  When I find a restaurant/cantina/lounge that we want to visit I go to all lengths to find it.  Fortunately, as I may have mentioned, the owner of "Happy Ending Cantina" emailed me directions.  It was quite a walk (used a cane -- just to help with my hip and not falling again).  Sometimes we simply enjoy going to "dive bars" with silly signs, incredibly low priced drinks (2 beers and 2 double shots of tequila for $5 but I think I'm repeating myself).  No - we did not go there for shots or for beer but each had Don Julio margaritas made with fresh juice, etc. for $6 each.  Dennis wasn't hungry but had one chicken taco (soft) and I had two steak tacos (crunchy) for $2 each which included beans,  It was great having authentic Mexican food!  A couple photos will follow eventually.

On the way back to the ship we stopped for a "fish spa".  We tend to do this all over the world.  Dennis took a couple of pictures of the fish nibbling on our feet.

I did make a purchase of some Hermetise facial products but have no idea if we were scammed.  Time will tell.  For now, it makes my eyes look better and they need all if the help they can get.)

Since this is a tender port, and we had been out for several hours (my first step off of the ship since Costa Rica,) Dennis suggested canceling our "Salsa and Salsa" excursion that begins at 2:45 p..m. and ends at 6:15 p.m.  A shower and a nap sounds pretty darn good right now.

The cocktail party that we attended last night was "interesting".  More later.

I have just had a message from Madame, to advise that the missing clump of pool surround mosaics that lacerated Sir's toe some days ago, have now been replaced, albeit not matching their neighbours.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thank you all for your daily posts on the Explorer.  Our first Explorer cruise is in a little more than two months, although not our first Regent cruise, and reading your daily updates have made the days go by even faster.  Sorry about your mishaps, but I'm glad they weren't worse.  You inspire me to try blogging about our cruise from Barcelona to Southhampton.

Master and Madame Echo — hope that you are both feeling better (including your toe). I did not realize that another round of colds was going around the ship.

Master Echo, was the Norwegian Escape here early this morning?  We saw the Norwegian Star (not an attractive ship at all) and did seee HAL ship.

A few photos from this morning (air dropped from iPhone - thanks for the tips).

Should be a photo of fish attached to Dennis’ feet., a sign of the cantina we visited and a photo of what was left of my tacos.  Will take photos of the food on pool deck BBQ buffet tonight.

22608301-09EF-41E8-84A6-E42385ABD29A.jpeg

D4B7628E-402F-4413-8BBF-778D458DE98A.jpeg

8BF28521-6ACC-45C6-B94E-94F54F5A7FE5.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2 - hope your toes now feel great!  Maybe Sir should have partaken of this little treatment!

You obviously did not see my following post - "big apologies"!! As I said the sun must have addled my brain!  It was of course the Norwegian Star, the Escape had a lucky "escape" being caught in a 115 mph wind.

Just sighted a whale between us and the Volendam, but unfortunately he now seems to be going out to sea.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Sorry Master Echo - I must have been reading too fast.

The photo of the “foot” was of Dennis’ foot.  I had this done as well but the photo of my feet did not come out as well.  Are you and Madame getting off of the ship in Los Angeles or are you continuing on to Miami?

Lady’s Mom - hope that you enjoy Explorer as much as we do.  The only problem is when you first board is that the layout of the ship is fairly different than other Regent ships (other than the location of the Observation Lounge and La Veranda)  This caused caused us to be quite turned around when we first sailed on Explorer 2 1/2 years ago.  

2 hours ago, Lady's Mom said:

Thank you all for your daily posts on the Explorer.  Our first Explorer cruise is in a little more than two months, although not our first Regent cruise, and reading your daily updates have made the days go by even faster.  Sorry about your mishaps, but I'm glad they weren't worse.  You inspire me to try blogging about our cruise from Barcelona to Southhampton.

I believe your cruise stops in northwestern Spain (La Coruña?). If so, I would love to see you write a travel thread so that you can tell us about your adventures. We have a similar cruise itinerary on our bucket list so we can visit Santiago de Compostela to see the pilgrims arriving from walking the Camino De Santiago, something that i wish I had done in my younger days.  Enjoy your cruise. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Z, thought that you would enjoy that sign!!!!  

As I have mentioned, we do not attend the deck BBQ’s due to weather issues (we tend to not dine outside anywhere unless the temperature is absolutely perfect) Well, in a beautiful place like Cabo San Lucas, the scenery was perfect as was the weather.  And, as have said repeatedly, Explorer is so different than other Regent ships.  The set up by the pool is perfect.  Great food - great drinks and even better service!

May post a few photos tomorrow.  Extremely tired tonight (likely due to so much walking today).  Looking forward to two sea days after which we have a 2 1/2 hour fight back to Vancouver.  And, if our car is still at the hotel, we have an hour ride back home.

More manana!

Thanks TC and Master Echo for the continuous reports!

Jackie, your visit to the "dive bar" is my kind of excursion! Love those prices!

Sorry but, what its a "fish spa"? Do the fish give you like a pedicure? Looks like fun!

Seems like you had a great day at Cabo, looking forward to your report tomorrow!

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I believe your cruise stops in northwestern Spain (La Coruña?). If so, I would love to see you write a travel thread so that you can tell us about your adventures. We have a similar cruise itinerary on our bucket list so we can visit Santiago de Compostela to see the pilgrims arriving from walking the Camino De Santiago, something that i wish I had done in my younger days.  Enjoy your cruise. 

Z and TB

Hi Zqueeze,

Dont meant to hijack the thread, but since you have an interest in Santiago de Compostela and the Camino, just wanted to mention I have done segments of it 3 different times, always arriving walking to Santiago. As a matter of fact I'm planning to do another one in Sept. Santiago is my favorite city in Spain, have visited it many times. And please, its not too late for you to do a Camino .  For Heaven's sake , you're younger than me! :) Just editing to add that in one of my Caminos I walked side by side for a while with an 80 yr old man, so age is not an excuse. Go for it!

Edited by cruiseluv

Maria, it was really a fun stop delicious margarita and great tacos and beans!  “Happy Ending Cantina” is a top choice for bars, etc. in Cabo on CC’s sister company TripAdvisor. 

A fish spa is when you put your feet into an aquarium of some type of fish that dine on the dead skin of your feet (sounds gross). Your feet are disinfected and rinsed before putting them into the water. The fish attach themselves to your feet.  It doesn’t hurt but can tickle at first.After a couple of minutes, you hardly notice them.  Dennis feels that they do a great job and I must admit that my feet felt cleaner when they were done.  Aren’t you glad you asked:classic_blink:?

Here are some photos of last night.

7356E365-72CB-4DEF-9D92-84975C3447F3.jpeg

B09D05F5-3880-4E7B-84B0-35EEDB5BF0C5.jpeg

E07A099F-E13D-4454-9003-2751A661999B.jpeg

Maria, it was really a fun stop delicious margarita and great tacos and beans!  “Happy Ending Cantina” is a top choice for bars, etc. in Cabo on CC’s sister company TripAdvisor. 

A fish spa is when you put your feet into an aquarium of some type of fish that dine on the dead skin of your feet (sounds gross). Your feet are disinfected and rinsed before putting them into the water. The fish attach themselves to your feet.  It doesn’t hurt but can tickle at first.After a couple of minutes, you hardly notice them.  Dennis feels that they do a great job and I must admit that my feet felt cleaner when they were done.  Aren’t you glad you asked:classic_blink:?

Here are some photos of last night.

15 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

This will be my first attempt at blogging so I can't guarantee perfection, but I will give it a try.  We have been to lots of ports in the Med, but we chose this cruise because it had many new ones such as La Coruna.  Looking forward  to May 18th when the adventure begins!!

Sir & Madame’s second visit to Prime 7 several nights ago, did not start well.  Arriving 15 minutes early for a cocktail in the bar, but checking in for their 7.30 reservation. By 7.35 there were ten people in a line waiting to be shown to their tables.  The main problem appeared on both occasions that the reservation list in front of the restaurant manager did not coincide with the people to be seated.  Seemingly the sharing tables are already allocated in advance to the cabin numbers booked, rather than pair passengers to a table as they arrive, until the tables are full.

By 7.50 they enquired when they were to be seated.  Immediately they were then taken to their assigned table, only to find that the four other diners had been there since 7.30! They were not amused to put  it mildly,  and Sir made his displeasure at the unnecessary delay known to the restaurant manager.

The remainder of the dinner service went off satisfactorily.

Prime 7 is an American orientated restaurant, which offers large steaks, ‘surf and turf’ and items such as “hoagie” toast which are unknown outside North America.  By repute it is the most popular, and therefore the most difficult for which to obtain a reservation.

Following on this theme of authenticity for the regional cuisine of the restaurant, it is surprising that Pacific Rim does not offer wagyu beef, which one would expect, but New York strip.

Kindest regards

Master  Echo