LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

Jackie, did you eat outside last night? Love the look of it! Not sure if we'll have the right weather during our upcoming Transatlantic.

Maybe I'll try a "fish spa" when I encounter one. Have you found them in many ports?

Edited by cruiseluv

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

Jackie, did you eat outside last night? Love the look of it! Not sure if we'll have the right weather during our upcoming Transatlantic.

Maybe I'll try a "fish spa" when I encounter one. Have you found them in many ports?

Have seen fish spa’s in Asia and I believe Spain. Yes - we did eat outside - will post photos that seemed to have disappeared.  Hope that you have good weather.  With the crazy weather lately, it is difficult to tell.  The seas have been as smooth as a lake which is not typical of the Pacfic Ocean. Will try to post photos again.

First I want to mention that Dennis did not take too many food photos.  In addition to normal fare, they was barbecued lobster tails, all kinds of meats and cheeses - a huge display of sushi and sashimi as well as some Asian dishes.  

Also a pasta bar,  and yummy looking paella 

As disturbing as it is to me, I did post one of the suckling pigs.  As a “wanna be” vegetarian it is just difficult.  Dennis and I are discussing giving up pork and chicken products.  We’ll see1

4AC6CE8D-7C81-4827-B4D2-01D9F627FDB1.jpeg

4A1D98E9-A914-4110-BEB1-61FF63A5DEF7.jpeg

53B90388-7F9C-4609-A779-28F6959EFD9D.jpeg

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

Have seen fish spa’s in Asia and I believe Spain. Yes - we did eat outside - will post photos that seemed to have disappeared.  Hope that you have good weather.  With the crazy weather lately, it is difficult to tell.  The seas have been as smooth as a lake which is not typical of the Pacfic Ocean. Will try to post photos again.

First I want to mention that Dennis did not take too many food photos.  In addition to normal fare, they was barbecued lobster tails, all kinds of meats and cheeses - a huge display of sushi and sashimi as well as some Asian dishes.  

Also a pasta bar,  and yummy looking paella 

As disturbing as it is to me, I did post one of the suckling pigs.  As a “wanna be” vegetarian it is just difficult.  Dennis and I are discussing giving up pork and chicken products.  We’ll see.

Note. The air-dropped photos from last night are being stubborn.  Will post from my phone. When I am upstairs again.

Edited by Travelcat2

Regarding  fish feet tanks, in many places , even in the UK, these have closed down due to potential patrons' being concerned about hygiene.  I was reassured that TC2 said her feet were disinfected prior to immersion in the tank.  

Anyone considering this treatment needs to feel assured about the hygiene standards.  In Cambodia I did not observe any disinfection before feet were put into the tanks.

On a separate note, there was quite a turn over of  F & B staff in Acapulco, whilst the Fitness Manager was swopped over in Cabo.  

It is also evident that a few new passengers joined in either Acapulco or Cabo, because we now have a young child onboard.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

TC  I remember on the Mariner cruise roundtrip Istanbul that Dennis wanted to try the fish spa, but couldn’t find one and then at lunch I saw you and said yes there is one and gave you directions to it.  It was in Rhodes, Greece.

Enjoying your blog, I hope to be somewhat successful while onboard the Mariner, Tokyo-Tokyo next month.

BTW Bright-eyed was used in the 1500’s Bushy tailed did not come along until the 1800’s it is not know when the two were first used together but often used to describe and squirrel. 

Have a safe trip home to your beautiful cats!

Edited by Bigdogwon

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Regarding  fish feet tanks, in many places , even in the UK, these have closed down due to potential patrons' being concerned about hygiene.  I was reassured that TC2 said her feet were disinfected prior to immersion in the tank.  

Anyone considering this treatment needs to feel assured about the hygiene standards.  In Cambodia I did not observe any disinfection before feet were put into the tanks.

On a separate note, there was quite a turn over of  F & B staff in Acapulco, whilst the Fitness Manager was swopped over in Cabo.  

It is also evident that a few new passengers joined in either Acapulco or Cabo, because we now have a young child onboard.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

There is a fish spa in San Jose del Cabo, I used each time I went there.  I looked for one in LA, but they were closed down. My feet looked and felt great.  After reading several articles, I haven’t done it lately.  I felt sorry for the fish, although the tanks were very clean. 

On 3/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, Travelcat2 said:

We did a lot in Cabo today (no excursions).  When I find a restaurant/cantina/lounge that we want to visit I go to all lengths to find it.  Fortunately, as I may have mentioned, the owner of "Happy Ending Cantina" emailed me directions.  It was quite a walk (used a cane -- just to help with my hip and not falling again).  Sometimes we simply enjoy going to "dive bars" with silly signs, incredibly low priced drinks (2 beers and 2 double shots of tequila for $5 but I think I'm repeating myself).  No - we did not go there for shots or for beer but each had Don Julio margaritas made with fresh juice, etc. for $6 each.  Dennis wasn't hungry but had one chicken taco (soft) and I had two steak tacos (crunchy) for $2 each which included beans,  It was great having authentic Mexican food!  A couple photos will follow eventually.

On the way back to the ship we stopped for a "fish spa".  We tend to do this all over the world.  Dennis took a couple of pictures of the fish nibbling on our feet.

I did make a purchase of some Hermetise facial products but have no idea if we were scammed.  Time will tell.  For now, it makes my eyes look better and they need all if the help they can get.)

Since this is a tender port, and we had been out for several hours (my first step off of the ship since Costa Rica,) Dennis suggested canceling our "Salsa and Salsa" excursion that begins at 2:45 p..m. and ends at 6:15 p.m.  A shower and a nap sounds pretty darn good right now.

The cocktail party that we attended last night was "interesting".  More later.

There certainly is no shortage of dive bars in Cabo!  Once they got an Apple store, I felt anything authentic had jumped the shark.  But one can still get a good margarita! As you get outside of Cabo and up the transpenisular hwy, it’s expat world.  Walmart’s, Costco’s, high end hospitals ( for hip and knee replacement, plastic surgery) and dental services. Every franchise you see in the US is pretty much available.   I enjoy the fish spa, but lately gotten a bit squeamish....

22 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I believe your cruise stops in northwestern Spain (La Coruña?). If so, I would love to see you write a travel thread so that you can tell us about your adventures. We have a similar cruise itinerary on our bucket list so we can visit Santiago de Compostela to see the pilgrims arriving from walking the Camino De Santiago, something that i wish I had done in my younger days.  Enjoy your cruise. 

Z and TB

The pilgrimage is still on my bucket list, and I am older than You!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Jackie - Can't remember.  Did you ever get to post the complimentary wine list?  Also, whatever happened with the "interesting" Grand Suite cocktail party you attended?  

Sorry - my injury has put me behind on many things.  Not sure who the F&B Director is now (Vladimir left and he would have given me the complimentary wine list).  Still hobbling around at times and my priority is now getting packed.  Hopefully someone else will find and post the list.

The Grand Suite cocktail party was a bit different.  It seemed that the gentleman invited people in top suites but I am not sure about that.  PBS speaker Charlie Cook was there and was as friendly and open as can be.  Very impressive man.  Indian and American snacks were served.  It was very nice but it was on the setting sun side of the ship (port) and the suite was extremely hot.  Typically, in the Grand or Master suites you can have a party for 3 couples in addition to yourself.  They had several more couples than that.  We did enjoy it. and were glad that we were invited - whatever the reason was.

Bigdogwon - I do remember you directing us to a foot spa.  I am a bit leery of them but I saw the "disinfectant" spray at the one in Cabo and they were monitoring the temperature of the water that the fish were in.  In Spain, our feet were washed in soap and water.  

This is an off day for me as I did too much lifting when I was packing (kind of like when Dennis shovels snow when I'm not looking.)

Hoping to meet Madame and Master Echo for drinks tomorrow night.  Dennis is a bit under the weather (long story short - watch what you eat in Mexico).  So, I will be dining alone with Staff Captain Abhi tonight.  

Will try to write more later or tomorrow and still have to post photos of the barbecue.  Despite the hurdles we have had on this  cruise, I am constantly in awe of this ship and the crew.  I do understand that not everyone likes Explorer and the other ships are beautiful but, for us, nothing holds a candle to this ship.

Maria, (NOTE - I wrote this morning and it didn’t show up until now).  Hope that this is not a duplcate it was really a fun stop delicious margarita and great tacos and beans!  “Happy Ending Cantina” is a top choice for bars, etc. in Cabo on CC’s sister company TripAdvisor. 

A fish spa is when you put your feet into an aquarium of some type of fish that dine on the dead skin of your feet (sounds gross). Your feet are disinfected and rinsed before putting them into the water. The fish attach themselves to your feet.  It doesn’t hurt but can tickle at first.After a couple of minutes, you hardly notice them.  Dennis feels that they do a great job and I must admit that my feet felt cleaner when they were done.  Aren’t you glad you asked:classic_blink:?

Here are some photos of last night.

Not sure what is going on with the internet and television.  We are not getting news channels (probably for the best) and when we do it is intermittent.  Photos that I post are now showing up hours later (as are some posts).

In any case, while that was not my fault, it is my fault for not remembering that the lunch menus for Chartreuse and P7 are on the television (unrelatedly to outside television channels.  So, I will try to post them.

2AD382D5-4556-46AE-8339-D60789DB2978.jpeg

751B49DC-7C73-4CA3-B56F-F20A3DCE8C80.jpeg

DC165C25-152A-4772-B5D7-BC8109BECCCD.jpeg

573E63F9-82F2-4584-BA68-E647B9E81437.jpeg

Great to see the Alabama flag flying prominently over the pool.

Glad you enjoyed the outdoor deck bbq; they are a highlight for me; including the suckling pig.  On our last bbq on Mariner they also had kangaroo, water buffalo, emu, and camel.

Have a safe trip home.

Marc

Jackie:  looking good by the pool!!!  Gotta laugh about the fish massage because I could just see The Boss freaking out the second a fish nibbles on her toes.

ME:  living your narrative. Overall, we like P7, but have had several hits and misses in service. Their steaks are cooked inconsistently and grayish looking until a friend of ours ordered theirs Pittsburgh style and I adopted requesting same for me. Now, they are perfectly seared and medium.

Cruiseluv/Rachel: I am actually in discussions with one of my college roommates to do a portion of the Camino in 2022. But, I’m not in any sort of shape like Rachel and would need to get my waste size to less than equator before hitting the road. Can you imagine walking the Camino behind a redneck from Goose Creek, SC and a loud New Yorican ?

Z and TB

Jackie, thank you for those pics by the pool. While it's nice to see posed pics, I really enjoy candid pics of passengers just enjoying themselves, as you surely must have been.

The deck barbecue looks like a very special event, and you can see by the last photo what a beautiful night it was.

Cheers, and thanks for taking us along!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to predict when the poolside barbecue is?  We missed it our last voyage because we had reservations in Prime 7.  The pictures are great.  Also thanks for the luncheon menus in Chartreuse and Prime 7.

Thanks for the photos, the pool party looks great.  I like the idea that the food isn't out in the open.  Last cruise we had they had all the food around the pool---looked nice, but with sun still up-wasn't sure about the food.  We ate that night in CR.

Sorry you have to pack, but have a safe trip home.  Know you'll enjoy seeing your little ones (cat's).

30 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to predict when the poolside barbecue is?  We missed it our last voyage because we had reservations in Prime 7.  The pictures are great.  Also thanks for the luncheon menus in Chartreuse and Prime 7.

On the Amazon cruise I think I was told that the deck BBQ is on a night in port, so if you have a late port night or an overnight, those might be the nights to look for it, weather permitting.

I loved it!  It rained on and off the night of ours, but that did not discourage us from eating and dancing until it shut down!