LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

It was very enjoyable having pre-dinner cocktails with TC2 & Dennis and Sir & Madame wished there had been more days left on the cruise to perhaps meet again.  TC2 did you get the note which I sent to your cabin last night?

Docking at Los Angeles was scheduled for 7.00 am this morning, but the vibration of the bow thrusters, revealed that we had arrived around 5.00am.  

As Explorer had not been in American waters for some time, she was subjected to an extensive inspection by CDC, this entailed not only the hotel operation, but also a thorough check of all the elevators.  At 8.45 we were told these would be unavailable for three to five minutes.  But by 8.55 am, when it became my turn to disembark, the elevator service had still not been restored.

A group of passengers gathered at the aft lift lobby on Deck 10.  Madame called reception to advise of the situation, but was told we should not have been on Deck 10.  In fact, we were all in a public area, as per the disembarkation instructions.  The officious tone of the receptionist was the same as that was encountered by Sir & Madame by most of the reception staff throughout the cruise.  It was suggested that we should walk down from Deck 10 to Deck 5 with all our carry-ons!!

Finally after 9.30, the elevator service was restored, and disembarkation continued through immigration and customs without incident.  

At 4.45 pm yesterday I was in the Business Centre and a gentleman said that the WiFi had virtually ground to a halt.  The IT guy made a phone call, and said that he was going to shut down and reboot.  Most unfortunate for those who would lose whatever they had been doing!  So much for the 40% increase in speed!!

Now sitting at LAX airport waiting for check in which will start shortly.  For all those passengers who left Explorer today, I wish them God speed and safe landings.  For those just embarking - enjoy!!

My final comments on the cruise will follow in a day or so.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelwell said:

Because you asked and I am a nurse, and my husband traveled the world for decades with his last job. For our 2021 WC I am going to hit a Walmart or Target prior to boarding and stock up on Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Benadryl, Zyrtec, , Pepto bismal, Immodium, Tums, Cough drops, Sudafed, Flonase, a lot of sunscreen, bug spray with deet, Aquaphor, Balmex, Polysporin ointment, Hydrocortisone ointment, benadryl ointment, all my vitamins and sea bands. I am going to get the two new shingles vaccine shots this year. We will hit travel dr next year  where we will get a mess of recommended vaccines. I expect to bring antiviral (I fight cold sores with any virus), epipen for bee allergic husband, a script filled for Cipro, Zofran  and Scope patches (which we have never used but crossing the Pacific. I am a big fan of the flu vaccine but if flu season bad will probably bring Tamiflu. I am sure I will be leaving something of this list. As I said, because you asked!

Have you thought about opening an onboard health clinic? 🙂

21 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Thanks. I can’t take NSAIDs routinely but do take other items mentioned.  We also take antiviral for shingles and cold sores.   

Am very interested to know what anti virals you take for cold sores.  Presumably these are pills - what is the name and more important, does it stop you getting them, or help once you have one?

woukd be very grateful for a reply.  Many thanks in advance

kindest regards

Master Echo

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Am very interested to know what anti virals you take for cold sores.  Presumably these are pills - what is the name and more important, does it stop you getting them, or help once you have one?

kindest regards

Master Echo

I take the generic for Valtrex at first sign of cold sore on my lip.  It’s really important to start immediately so must have prescription on hand. 

Master Echo - indeed we did receive your kind note.  Thank you!

Sorry to learn of the difficulties of disembarkation.  While I am not blaming Regent for the difficulties set forth by the port authorities in Los Angeles, the information communicated to passengers by Regent was not clear and, as mentioned previously, one message contradicted another. We were fortunate to be Titanium and able to depart first and go to the awaiting transportation (another "invisible" benefit).  We arrived at the airport by 9:30 a.m. for our 12:30 p.m. flight which left on time and thankfully was uneventful.  Our car was still in the hotel parking lot and was quite filthy.  The border traffic going from Canada to the U.S. was less than 5 minutes (if you have a Nexus pass).  They have iris scans at the airport (YVR) for those of us that have Trusted Traveler cards. It saves a lot of time and you do not have to be concerned that fingerprints have faded.   I mention this because fingerprint issues were brought up on CC recently.  

The very nice couple that invited several of us to their Grand Suite for a cocktail party was on our flight - sitting across the isle from us.  They live in Vancouver and we will keep in touch.  

While we do not have jet lag, we are quite exhausted.  When we return from a cruise we always have a lot of thoughts that include possible changes in one or more future bookings.  This cruise had the highest of highs and some very low low's.   

As always, I have more to write - including a review but need a couple of days to recover.  Learning a lot about traveling with medication and appreciate all of the input.

• Like 1

Master Echo,

i would gladly share the secret weapon for cold sores. Valtrex 2 pills at first sign of tingling on lip and 2 tablets 12 hours later. Prescription only. Works extremely well if taken at first sign.

i have very much enjoyed you adventures. Nice reading!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, travelwell said:

Master Echo,

i would gladly share the secret weapon for cold sores. Valtrex 2 pills at first sign of tingling on lip and 2 tablets 12 hours later. Prescription only. Works extremely well if taken at first sign.

i have very much enjoyed you adventures. Nice reading!

Famvir in same dosing regimen will also work, but has to be taken immediately on noticing the first sign.

I am sitting in my lovely recliner with a heating pad on my back (I know, TMI):classic_tongue:

I have commented repeatedly that the cruise was wonderful so I am a bit surprised that a negative review is expected.  While not ready quite yet to do a review, the “lows” had more to with us than Regent.

Traveling during the winter months, passengers bring colds and coughs with them.  As I have shared, Dennis came down with a cold 36 hours after boarding the ship.  As with the sailing before ours, many people had bad coughs.  I caught a cold a couple of days later and several other passengers that we spoke with had colds/coughs over the 20 nights. Fortunately, the colds were mild and we were over with in about 5 days.

It is important to note that people were boarding and disembarking the ship at every port on this cruise (in addition to crew members).  PBS personnel only stayed a few days - did their lectures and entertainment and went home (and were replaced by other speakers that stayed on for a few days).  At one port (either Acapulco or Cabo), new people boarded (stated that they were on board for “business”) and stayed until Los Angeles. With new passsengers coming and going so frequently that it seemed that as soon as one no longer heard coughs, a couple of days later it started up again.

My catching conjunctivitis was also a low.  I obviously caught it from somewhere on the ship (despite my constant hand washing and disinfecting.  And, when I came down with it, I was contagious.  Not a good situation.

Dennis getting food poisoning in Cabo was also not Regent’s fault.  While not contagious it made for a miserable 36 hours for him.

Last big negative for me is my falling - twice.  The first fall was on an excursion and was only a badly scraped kneee.  The second fall, that I continue to be in pain from, was my clumsiness.

So, with that out of the way, I’ll review food, service, entertainment, ports, etc. in my next chapter.

Edited by Travelcat2

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am sitting in my lovely recliner with a heating pad on my back (I know, TMI):classic_tongue:

I have commented repeatedly that the cruise was wonderful so I am a bit surprised that a negative review is expected.  While not ready quite yet to do a review, the “lows” had more to with us than Regent.

Sorry for misunderstanding when you said "This cruise had the highest of highs and some very low low's." I assumed there were some things cruise/ Regent related that were not up to your expectations. It did surprise me as you had not talked about them while on the cruise. Glad I was mistaken!

Travelcat2,

I so enjoyed your far from boring blog. I am sorry about the health lows and the falls. I hope now that you are home you can recuperate.

We will be stopping in Lima in 2 years and I wonder about your thoughts on avoiding illness there. We definitely want to try the food. I know Purell type lotions do not kill many stomach bugs and I wonder if people think they are safe with an antibacterial gel. It seems to be a port you routinely read about people becoming sick. I am a bit concerned about my DH being run down as he will be retiring 2 days prior to WC. I think the Caribbean part of the cruise will have to baby ourselves. Of course no hurry for the answers, rest and take care of yourself!

We were in Lima prior to a Regent cruise Lima to BA.   I got the worst food poisoning I have had in my life.  Bear in mind that I lived in Central Africa for 10 years, travelled widely in Africa, Asia and Europe for business plus all over the US AND carribean and Mexico.  So that is quite a statement...   I think it came from a seviche which I ate at our hotel - Country Club, which is a very good hotel.   You cannot be too careful in Peru.  And do take antibiotics, rehydrating granules etc with you.  Because I was so ill we had to delay our flight to Cuzco by 24 hours and missed our planned trip to Macchu pichu.. Happily by the time we boarded the Mariner I was OK.

22 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

We were in Lima prior to a Regent cruise Lima to BA.   I got the worst food poisoning I have had in my life.  Bear in mind that I lived in Central Africa for 10 years, travelled widely in Africa, Asia and Europe for business plus all over the US AND carribean and Mexico.  So that is quite a statement...   I think it came from a seviche which I ate at our hotel - Country Club, which is a very good hotel.   You cannot be too careful in Peru.  And do take antibiotics, rehydrating granules etc with you.  Because I was so ill we had to delay our flight to Cuzco by 24 hours and missed our planned trip to Macchu pichu.. Happily by the time we boarded the Mariner I was OK.

I had the ceviche at Country Club hotel too, but with Oceania. I survived and did not get sick. If I had known of your dilemma a few years ago, never would have tried it. We did MP tour too and Lima to BA. After MP and embarking the ship, we always dined on board the ship and never off. These tips on CC help others make good decisions when traveling around the world.

I love sushi, sashimi, seviche etc etc.   (in fact I prefer raw to cooked fish...)  but it is a crapshoot.  Just a tiny piece can be bad and then you get sick.   I don't blame the hotel - I blame myself for breaking my own "tropical rules"...

In Mexico, Central America, Ecuador and Peru, I avoid all raw food, ice, and water not in sealed containers.  I never eat raw fish or seafood anywhere, even the most high end places in the US.  I do not eat street food pretty much anywhere.  Deep fried would probably be ok bacteria wise, but I try to avoid deep fried.

• Like 1

Also avoid uncooked food (salads, etc.) on most airlines.  Especially ones that pick up their on-board meals from areas mentioned above.  I have some sad, sad stories from before that lesson finally sank in...

PS - Foreign carriers that take off from US airports may have meals aboard from the non-US cities they came from.  Got bit by that once  😞  Not sure if domestic carriers pick up chow before return flights from other countries...

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Also avoid uncooked food (salads, etc.) on most airlines.  Especially ones that pick up their on-board meals from areas mentioned above.  I have some sad, sad stories from before that lesson finally sank in...

PS - Foreign carriers that take off from US airports may have meals aboard from the non-US cities they came from.  Got bit by that once  😞  Not sure if domestic carriers pick up chow before return flights...

20 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

PS - Foreign carriers that take off from US airports may have meals aboard from the non-US cities they came from.  Got bit by that once  😞  Not sure if domestic carriers pick up chow before return flights...

No, Airlines cannot deadhead meals on international for return flights or continuations.  They must be recatered fresh.  The best inflight meals we have had were on Singapore, Emirates, Cathay Pacific but we were either in First or Business.  Fine dining at its best in the Sky and top quality.

Domestic Airlines can cater for short hauls RT.

Edited by MalbecWine

3 hours ago, travelwell said:

We will be stopping in Lima in 2 years and I wonder about your thoughts on avoiding illness there. We definitely want to try the food. ...

Just my two cents.  Remember that Lima is known for its fine cuisine.  Michelin stars and all.  We were there for three days and had no problems with the food, including ceviche at small restaurants in Miraflores.  But as Hambagahle says, it's a crapshoot.  But the ceviche in Lima is wonderful!

In Bangkok I got "Rama's Revenge" either from a buffet on a tour boat on the river, or eating lettuce at the Hilton hotel dining room--silly me, I knew better than to eat any leafy raw veg at all in SE Asia, but I just forgot.  I would say stick to that anywhere in this area, and no street food.

The only place in Asia or SA I would say it's safe to eat street food is Singapore--their sanitation standards are very high. I ate at Hawker stalls all over the city when I was there--looking forward to doing that again.  Papeete has some great street food too.

As for your pharmacopia, guess I can just rely on you, lol!  (Will be visiting the travel doc next year sometime; we got lots of shots and meds for our SE Asian trip, and will get a similar bundle this time, I'm sure.)  My trip to Walgreens or CVS will include lots of anti-itch and bite creams--if there's a biting insect around, they get me.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We had a similar experience on an Eastern Med cruise that stopped in Egypt.  We thought (dumb us) that the meat might not be that good at our hotel (Cairo Hilton) but the salads and fresh food would be ok.  Boy were we wrong.  Pharoah's revenge was with us for much of the remainder of the cruise.  When we bussed past the fields where they grew to vegetables we saw why.  Thanks for the advice about bringing meds like antibiotics with us.  Traveling can be hard on your health.

Singapore is perfectly fine dining anywhere as they are very strict about sanitation and are inspected often.  The street food is perfectly safe and they have good hygiene.  Singapore is the most clean city we have ever visited.  If they find a violation they will shut the venue down.  

We have been going there there for years as we have friends that are ex-pats and love Singapore except for the heat and humidity.  Otherwise always worth the visit.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Master Echo said:

kindest regards

Master Echo

First, thanks so much to you and TC2 for the wonderful posts across the past couple of weeks.  I’ve looked forward to them each day.  There are two ways my docs over the years have instructed me to use the antivirals - one is the more aggressive approach, which involves taking one 200mg dose twice/daily for 30 days, if you expect to be in a situation (intense travel, ill with something that typically triggers a cold sore, etc.) that will generally result in one.  So this is the “prevent it for sure before it starts” version.  The alternative is to take two 200 mg. capsules at the first sign of a tingling on your lip, repeat the two capsules later that day or first thing in the morning, and then take one capsule four times/day for 5 - 7 days.   The antiviral I’ve used for years at this point is acyclovir, which is the generic for Zovirax. It’s old, but it really works.  As long as I take two capsules at the very first sign of a cold sore, I can prevent it entirely.    

I’m definitely not a medical professional, and I’m sure there are other dosing/prescribing protocols out there. Bottom line:  ask your doctor about it, but if you have any concerns about keeping it on hand in terms of whether or not it works, I can tell you that I haven’t had a cold sore since I learned about this, and I was plagued with them due to a lot of international travel in my 30s.

10 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Singapore is perfectly fine dining anywhere as they are very strict about sanitation and are inspected often.  The street food is perfectly safe and they have good hygiene.  Singapore is the most clean city we have ever visited.  If they find a violation they will shut the venue down.  

We have been going there there for years as we have friends that are ex-pats and love Singapore except for the heat and humidity.  Otherwise always worth the visit.

My parents lived in Singapore in the 70s and it is absolutely correct that the authorities will shut down, immediately, any hawker or food stand that is not complying with their very strict food laws.  I have never had food poisoning there - nor anywhere else in Asia.  Only in Europe and Lima !!  But "Tropical Rules" are very important: no water unless you break the seal of the bottle yourself.  No ice.  (Not even with whiskey!) No fruit unless you can peel it.  No salads - ever. No raw or under cooked meat and no raw fish.  So - I should never, ever have had that ceviche!!!