LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

5 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Again, overall, the F&B staff were friendly and efficient.  I was a little surprised during dinner service on the last night to see several staff, and one Head Waiter in particular, moving round Compass Rose with the clear intention of soliciting gratuities and money was noted changing hands.

ME - Could you be so kind as to expand a bit upon your observation quoted above?   In many cruises on Regent, we have never witnessed such behavior and hope not to do so.   Perhaps we are simply being somewhat clueless regarding the solicitation of tips.  

Hi Freddie 

We were on this cruise.  We thought that dining service was excellent except for Chartruse being a little off.  We sat in a different section in Compass Rose the last night.  We did notice two of the head waiters coming over to spend some time talking to us.  Maybe I am a little dense but it never dawned on us that they were asking for money.  I saw it as Regent wanting us to feel connected to the cruise line and feel taken care of.  Maybe I am naive but the idea they were looking for money never entered my mind.  I just don’t see it as the Regent way.   The entire wait staff was most gracious.

45 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

We don’t even carry money around the ship...we would have been clueless and no $ given.  Maybe it was the nature of it being many pbs people. 😳

The PBS folks could have been part of it but we have seen this numerous times - particularly in Compass Rose.  While I do not want to turn this into a tipping thread, I will say that some crew members were definitely acting as if they hoped for tips (or were promoting themselves in hopes of a tip?). Do not want to explain this any further than I have already.  It does make sense that when people are openly tipping crew members that others may join in or feel that they may have been incorrect that tipping is included.  This is something that I have seen gain momentum in the past couple of years.  Strongly agree with what Master Echo saw.

In my many days of cruising on Regent (approaching titanium), I have never witnessed any passenger openly tipping crew members or crew members seeking tips, include butlers when we had one. I have seen a passenger openly passing cash at Prime 7 in order to obtain a table when they did not have a reservation, but that is it.

As the cruise ends, we have had numerous members of the staff come to us to wish us safe travels home and hoping to see us again soon - I never interpreted these gestures as soliciting gratuities.

gnomie :classic_smile:

A couple of cruises ago, midcruise I observed a table of two in La Veranda giving out tips to two servers who were tripping over each other to do something for these two passengers. I then noticed this same every morning.  Other than some discreet tipping I have not noticed crew hanging around for tips but I wasn’t looking for it. 

ME -  you said above:

<<In all cabins there is a slot just inside the door into which a cruise card has to be inserted to activate the lights and other power.  This reminded me of lower grade hotels in which I have stayed.  My cabin stewardess said this was for safety reasons.  If safety is the reason, have all Regent ships been so fitted?  If not, then safety is not the prime reason for this annoying requirement, which can be circumvented by bringing a credit card-sized piece of plastic from home; a typical supermarket loyalty card worked for me!>>

This has nothing to do with "lower grade hotels".  Almost all hotels in Asia have this and it is becoming current here in Europe too.  It is an energy saving measure.  if you are out of the room you should not have lights on, AC on etc. And taking the card out of the slot cuts the current. Makes a LOT of sense.

Also - Silversea is now owned by RCI - which I think, is an American corporation??   Probably expect to see more North American wines on Silversea in the future.  (And even though I prefer our Swiss wines, there are some really excellent ones in North America!!)

I was shocked to read that both you and Jackie had the impression that some staff were "hustling tips" at the end of the cruise.  I have never once seen this and I do not want to see it!!

It would appear that Regent's posters have a wealth of medical/cosmetic knowledge, and I thank you all for your helpful answers regarding remedies/cures for cold sores.

I would therefore like to ask the following questions and once again would be grateful for any answers.

Sunscreen - I am aware of SPF numbers (sun protection factors) but I would like to know why there are now so many chemicals in these products?

Without exception, all sunscreens I have used have stained clothing - most brands now state this on the packaging - but is there ANY product which does not?

Thanks in advance!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

21 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

Master Echo:

Thank you for your thorough and balanced review - much appreciated. I also enjoyed your writing style and hope you return to CC to provide commentary.

gnomie :classic_smile:

Gnomie -

Thank you for your kind comments, and am glad that people find my posts of interest.  As already stated, that was my first Regent cruise, but you may find me on the Silver Shadow from June 17 for 19 nights, and Silver Whisper from NYC November 1st to the Caribbean and Cuba for 32 nights.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Master Echo said:

It would appear that Regent's posters have a wealth of medical/cosmetic knowledge, and I thank you all for your helpful answers regarding remedies/cures for cold sores.

I would therefore like to ask the following questions and once again would be grateful for any answers.

Sunscreen - I am aware of SPF numbers (sun protection factors) but I would like to know why there are now so many chemicals in these products?

Without exception, all sunscreens I have used have stained clothing - most brands now state this on the packaging - but is there ANY product which does not?

Thanks in advance!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Try Neutrogena Dry Touch - there are number of versions and I have tried them all and have not had any problems with stained clothing, which I cannot say with other brands that I have used. I hate the "feeling" of sunscreen and this one goes on and dries very quickly and is very comfortable to wear.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully, below are five photos. 

The first two are from Antigua, Guatemala - girls "come out" at 15, see earlier post.  The second one was a beautiful wedding in the Cathedral in Antigua. Bride and father were met by the Cardinal - no less - her dress had crystals in the train.  Humberstone - Coquimbo, this was an nitrates mine started by Mr. Humberstone an Englishman.  It is now a ghost town, but has been set up as a museum showing how they lived.  View from the ship just prior to leaving the port of Coquimbo, a mock battle between an English Corsair and a Spanish galleon.  Finally a picture of the Santiago skyline taken from the Cerro Cristobal to illustrate the city's modernity..

Kindest regards

Master Echo

PS This is my first attempt, so not sure you will all receive them!  

Coming-out at 15 in Guatemala.jpg

Expensive Guatemalan wedding.jpg

Humberstone museum 1.jpg

Humberstone museum 2.jpg

Mock battle at Coquimbo.jpg

Santiago skyline.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gnomie1 said:

Try Neutrogena Dry Touch - there are number of versions and I have tried them all and have not had any problems with stained clothing, which I cannot say with other brands that I have used. I hate the "feeling" of sunscreen and this one goes on and dries very quickly and is very comfortable to wear.

Thank you so very much - I will go on the hunt!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

18 minutes ago, Master Echo said:

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I use Elta MD on my face and neck everyday of the year.  I have not had a problem.  It might be harder to fine than the Neutrogena though. 

18 minutes ago, Master Echo said:

The first two are from Antigua, Guatemala - girls "come out" at 15, see earlier post.  

Quinceañera  is the Spanish word used for girls who turn 15 years old.  The quinceañera is one of the few universal Latin American occasions, celebrated from Mexico to Argentina, and is very popular among Latina girls in the US. In the NYC area, with our large diverse population,  it is not unusual to be invited to a quinceañera celebration as to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. My seamstress also sews dresses for quinceañeras and it is fun to watch the girls and their families plan for the celebration.

24 minutes ago, Master Echo said:

Kindest regards

Master Echo

+1 on the Neutrogena Dry Touch.  I use it on my face and neck, generally in SPF 70 or 100, or maybe 110?, and have never had any stains on anything.  I’ve also had good luck with Australian Gold in SPF 50 on arms and legs.  You can get this on Amazon.  I got turned onto it on an Oceania cruise when I ran out a couple of years ago, and had to buy it in the ship’s boutique.  I went on the hunt for it following that.  Also totally stain free, in my experience.  Finally, Banana Boat SPF 50 for kids - the kinds that guarantees no tears if you get it in your eyes - is greasier feeling than the Neutrogena, but also a good choice for faces because of the no tears thing.  

13 minutes ago, aungrl said:

+1 on the Neutrogena Dry Touch.  I use it on my face and neck, generally in SPF 70 or 100, or maybe 110?, and have never had any stains on anything.  I’ve also had good luck with Australian Gold in SPF 50 on arms and legs.  You can get this on Amazon.  I got turned onto it on an Oceania cruise when I ran out a couple of years ago, and had to buy it in the ship’s boutique.  I went on the hunt for it following that.  Also totally stain free, in my experience.  Finally, Banana Boat SPF 50 for kids - the kinds that guarantees no tears if you get it in your eyes - is greasier feeling than the Neutrogena, but also a good choice for faces because of the no tears thing.  

A dermatologist told me that higher than 50 is really almost a scam. 

35 minutes ago, gnomie1 said:

Quinceañera  is the Spanish word used for girls who turn 15 years old.  The quinceañera is one of the few universal Latin American occasions, celebrated from Mexico to Argentina, and is very popular among Latina girls in the US. In the NYC area, with our large diverse population,  it is not unusual to be invited to a quinceañera celebration as to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. My seamstress also sews dresses for quinceañeras and it is fun to watch the girls and their families plan for the celebration.

Your description of the "quinceañera" tradition is accurate. Some families go really over the top, the quinceañera coming down  from above , "floating" on a cloud, and other gimmicks. I for one would not have been caught dead having a quinceañero,  and most of my girlfriends didnt either. 

Edited by cruiseluv

As TC requested I don’t want to turn this into a tipping thread but upon reflection I do believe the head waiter was looking for tips.  I chatted with him the first day in La Veranda and he said he was returning to cruise work after 4 years away.  It was his first time on Regent as he had been only on Oceania previously.  That was my only contact with him until the last night.

i wondered why he was lingering at our table with not much to say.  Thanks Master Echo and TC for opening my eyes to the possibility.  Glad I didn’t realize at the time as I would have been most uncomfortable.

Edited by Eager2Travel
Correction

Yes, I would also like to respect Jackie's wishes that this thread doesnt turn into a "tipping thread", but I think its a topic that deserves covering, I might open a thread about it. Or now that I'm aware this went on in the Explorer, maybe I'll wait until I come back from my 3/25- 4/8 Transatlantic, and report if I noticed anything.

If this is happening in the open, I imagine the higher ups in the hierarchy are aware of it. Its up to management on the ship to put a stop to it.

Edited by cruiseluv

Dennis just came into my office and asked me to look at his "review" of our cruise.  I was extremely surprised as he has not done a review in the past and has posted maybe 3 times.  So, if/when it gets approved (likely a week or so), I'll link it.  It is rather nice to read something that he has written - in his unique style rather than mine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Dennis just came into my office and asked me to look at his "review" of our cruise.  I was extremely surprised as he has not done a review in the past and has posted maybe 3 times.  So, if/when it gets approved (likely a week or so), I'll link it.  It is rather nice to read something that he has written - in his unique style rather than mine.

Super, but I did enjoy reading yours and seeing your opinions about the trip.  I'll look for his review.