Balcony doors open all night?

prmami

51 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The warning is on the balcony door. Like a decal. 

Yes, there is an easy to see warning on your balcony door to keep it closed.

We would not want to keep ours open anyway and get salt spray into our cabin.  :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Leaving your balcony door open shuts down part of the AC system in the cabins surrounding yours.

FALSE.  Husband has been in the industry for 38 years.  On some ships yours may shut down or be less effective but doesn't impact the others around you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

There is a sign right by the balcony door telling you to CLOSE it. 

It impacts the air conditioning of the cabins around you, too. 

Yes. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Leaving your balcony door open shuts down part of the AC system in the cabins surrounding yours.

Yes. 

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This sounds like nonsense the cruise line tells you to discourage the practice.  I can't imagine why anyone would design the system that way.  Not going to be convinced without a better source than someone on a message board...

@chengkp75 you feel like chiming in. 

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don't doubt that.  It's the affecting surrounding staterooms that doesn't make sense.

We have been effected by our neighbour’s door being open. Our room was on the coldest setting and the room was close to 80F. The walls are not well insulated and the heat came right through. 

20 minutes ago, B&J_Pgh said:

FALSE.  Husband has been in the industry for 38 years.  On some ships yours may shut down or be less effective but doesn't impact the others around you.

Ours was less efficient because our neighbours left their door open and it did effected us.  Our cabin was almost 80F. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

All I find is a decal on the door frame warning about tripping, no smoking, how to lock the door, and advising your AC will not operate if the door is unlocked. Nothing telling you not to leave your balcony door open at night - just that you won't t have AC if you don't lock your door.

I read that warning is the same as if the balcony door is left open. Same results. AC will not function as designed for you and other surrounding cabins.

Edited by davekathy

Bilyclub's repost from the Chief explains pretty much why you don't want to leave the balcony door open.  But I would add a couple of points from a logic standpoint:

1.  Do you turn your AC on full and then open doors and windows at home?  While you are not immediately paying for this on a ship the cooling capacity is not infinite.  Using your AC with doors open does affect more than your cabin because the total capacity in each area of the ship is limited.

2.  AC units do two things, cool and dehumidify.  The condensation normally winds up in a pipe and removed from your area.  When that line gets plugged or in very humid conditions, it overflows.  Catch pan and line is above your ceiling and overflow drips on you.  Do you want this?

We've been on a few ships with interlocks on the balcony door that turn off the AC when the door is open.  Annoying because the cabin heats up quickly but I can see why the ship designer would do this.

Edited by LeeW
more

We were told by a number of cabin attendants that the air conditioning shuts down on the newer ship. There’s a switch on the top of the door.

We love to have the door open especially if you are on the lower deck,wake up in the middle of the night and hear the ocean.

our last cruise on the ovation to New Zealand, I woke up and there were birds on the balcony and one in our cabin.

Next day at the captains corner,someone reported the same thing.

The captain said that was common thing. Migrating birds see the ship and have a rest.

He said one time they estimated 50,000 birds were on the ship for a day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This sounds like nonsense the cruise line tells you to discourage the practice.  I can't imagine why anyone would design the system that way.  Not going to be convinced without a better source than someone on a message board...

Not nonsense at all:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55435571&postcount=42

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B&J_Pgh said:

See above. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

...also there was CC member that posted pictures on here of thousands little insects that were in cabin after leaving Door open. Were all over bed and walls.

Details.  The important thing is that it was their vacation and they did what they wanted, regardless of any signs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

...also there was CC member that posted pictures on here of thousands little insects that were in cabin after leaving Door open. Were all over bed and walls.

Tried to find that post, because it was REALLY funny.  Would be worth including in this thread.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We were told by a number of cabin attendants that the air conditioning shuts down on the newer ship. There’s a switch on the top of the door.

We love to have the door open especially if you are on the lower deck,wake up in the middle of the night and hear the ocean.

our last cruise on the ovation to New Zealand, I woke up and there were birds on the balcony and one in our cabin.

Next day at the captains corner,someone reported the same thing.

The captain said that was common thing. Migrating birds see the ship and have a rest.

He said one time they estimated 50,000 birds were on the ship for a day.

Hope the bird didn't leave any "presents" in your cabin !

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Hope the bird didn't leave any "presents" in your cabin !

No , I thought there was something moving and chirping in the cabin.when I turned the light on it went out onto the balcony.

They were only small birds,don’t know what the were?They weren’t emus or ostriches.

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, B&J_Pgh said:

What industry? Because the established chief engineer has stated exactly the opposite, he is the authority on these boards. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whyrlygig said:

If you have ever looked up and saw all the bats flying around the exterior of the ship you would NOT keep your door open all night.  🦇

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Oooo, have never seen bats, but I did see so many flying fish earlier this month outside Symphony.  Have never seen so many!

We cruised with friends of ours a few years ago and they wanted their balcony door open at night. We had aft cabins next to each other. On the second night we woke up to the sound of the wife screaming. There was a bat flying around inside their cabin. Her husband was able to chase it outside. Needless to say, they never left their balcony door open again.

• Like 1

I've left the balcony door overnight before. I don't do it every night  but sometimes I like to hear the ocean sounds. It's hard to say I wouldn't do it again if in a balcony cabin. I've also slept on the balcony overnight before - it was fantastic.