Balcony doors open all night?

prmami

what was true 42 years ago may not  be true today.

Simple answer is for someone to leave their baloney door open all night, then ask their next door neighbor if their cabin was sufficiently cooled. If the answer is yes, then we know what is #fakenews.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:38 AM, Chiliburn said:

On the newer ships the aircon isolates.

On older ships there weren't the individual cabin coolers, some didn't even have individual cabin thermostats, just a damper to adjust air flow.  As I've stated in the post quoted above, the "cabin isolation" is the individual cabin cooler that recirculates the room air.  This switches off when the cabin door is open.  If a ship were to have the fresh air supply system isolate for each cabin when a balcony door opens, you would have to have a motorized damper for each cabin to close off the air flow to that cabin, and also a variable speed drive for the air supply fan, to prevent overpressuring the rest of the cabins when one or more cabins are shut off.  This is just too expensive and unreliable, and is not the case.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:54 AM, tonyweir said:

Wow! I've never had any issues. It only affects the cabin with the door open. I've talked to the engineering staff.

Yes, there is increased airflow into the hallway  it's  common sense is to close the balcony door before you open your cabin door.

You can leave it open a few inches and get the same wave sounds if you are so worried about it.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:50 AM, Chiliburn said:

Yes common sense,when you open the door to the hallway there’s a big rush of air.

But you don’t have it open all night.

These two comments make my argument that the AC systems are interconnected.  If your AC is shut off when your balcony door is open, what causes the rush of air?  That is the supply of fresh air from the "second" AC system I mention, that is supplied to your cabin regardless of whether any door is open, and at slightly above atmospheric pressure, to overpressure your cabin to prevent smoke entering from the passageway.  Whenever I got complaints about warm rooms in zones that had balcony cabins included, the very first thing I did was walk down the passageway, and listen for the whistling sound under a cabin door.  That's how I located the cabin with the balcony door open, and that's how I solved the warm interior cabin's problem.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

what was true 42 years ago may not  be true today.

Simple answer is for someone to leave their baloney door open all night, then ask their next door neighbor if their cabin was sufficiently cooled. If the answer is yes, then we know what is #fakenews.

Make sure you ask every cabin along the passageway, both balcony and inside, as far along as the two sets of fire doors recessed in the passageway, as this is how many cabins are on the same system, and sometimes even the cabins on the other side of the ship.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

That picture isn't even from a Royal Caribbean ship.

And you believe that RCI designs and builds its own AC systems for just their ships?  All cruise lines use one of a very few companies that design and manufacture marine air conditioning systems for cruise ships.  All the systems, across all the fleets, work almost identically.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And you believe that RCI designs and builds its own AC systems for just their ships?  All cruise lines use one of a very few companies that design and manufacture marine air conditioning systems for cruise ships.  All the systems, across all the fleets, work almost identically.

Where did I say any of that?  I commented on a picture of a sign, taken on a ship from another cruise line, that has no relevance to what might be on a sign on a Royal Caribbean ship.  I said nothing about a/c design or systems.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

On older ships there weren't the individual cabin coolers, some didn't even have individual cabin thermostats, just a damper to adjust air flow.  As I've stated in the post quoted above, the "cabin isolation" is the individual cabin cooler that recirculates the room air.  This switches off when the cabin door is open.  If a ship were to have the fresh air supply system isolate for each cabin when a balcony door opens, you would have to have a motorized damper for each cabin to close off the air flow to that cabin, and also a variable speed drive for the air supply fan, to prevent overpressuring the rest of the cabins when one or more cabins are shut off.  This is just too expensive and unreliable, and is not the case.

These two comments make my argument that the AC systems are interconnected.  If your AC is shut off when your balcony door is open, what causes the rush of air?  That is the supply of fresh air from the "second" AC system I mention, that is supplied to your cabin regardless of whether any door is open, and at slightly above atmospheric pressure, to overpressure your cabin to prevent smoke entering from the passageway.  Whenever I got complaints about warm rooms in zones that had balcony cabins included, the very first thing I did was walk down the passageway, and listen for the whistling sound under a cabin door.  That's how I located the cabin with the balcony door open, and that's how I solved the warm interior cabin's problem.

The rush of air I’m referring to is when you have the balcony door open an you open the door in the hallway,a real wind tunnel.

I m not a ship designer but I put it down to a high pressure area on one side of the ship caused by wind.

you get it both ways.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:30 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

This sounds like nonsense the cruise line tells you to discourage the practice.  I can't imagine why anyone would design the system that way.  Not going to be convinced without a better source than someone on a message board...

The way a lot of systems work is that if it gets too warm in the room, the heat shuts off to balance it out. If it gets too cold in the room, the air shuts off to balance it out. Having your door open could make the temperature systems around you think the air should be shut off because its too cold and therefore the other cruiser won't have the correct temperatures in their room.

We just returned from a cruise on the Symphony.

Friends of ours had problems with their AC and room being hot.  I went to their room and as I was waiting the cabin next to them had their doorway open and I could see the balcony door was open and feel all the ocean air.

So I can confirm that the neighbors were very inconsiderate by doing this and causing our friend's cabin's AC to not run properly.

Please be considerate of the people around you and do not leave your balcony door open for extended periods of time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Oh, for crying out loud, people.  It's not fake.  It's on your balcony door sill.

I have seen that sign many times, I have still not seen a sign that says the balcony door needs to be shut at night or that leaving the door open affects other cabins.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

I have seen that sign many times, I have still not seen a sign that says the balcony door needs to be shut at night or that leaving the door open affects other cabins.

It says "please leave door closed". I'm pretty sure the insinuates that it means overnight as well. Even if it doesn't directly say it affects other cabins, that does not mean it is not an addition side affect.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:55 PM, DDG 41 said:

Why are people on these boards so selfish.

If you want the sea breeze sleep on your balcony.

Your actions affect everyone else and the cruise lines clearly tell you not to.

That seems to be exactly what these people did.  Although, as you can see, they were still selfish.  Notice what's on the table.  Oh, and their balcony door is still open. 🙄

image.thumb.png.c1a46f718e39255abae5b31fd4706968.png

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

So you don't believe chengkp75?!?!??!?!  😮

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Either people don't realize who he is, or just don't care that he is right

<smh>

Apparently, many people on this thread think that the only way this would be legitimate is if the sign said, "Hey, dumbass, do not leave your balcony door open in the daytime or in the nighttime.  You screw up everyone else's airconditioning, as well as your own."

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1