Balcony doors open all night?

prmami

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The rush of air I’m referring to is when you have the balcony door open an you open the door in the hallway,a real wind tunnel.

I m not a ship designer but I put it down to a high pressure area on one side of the ship caused by wind.

you get it both ways.

Ah, the wind.  So, drive your car at 20 mph with the windows down.  Do you get a wind tunnel that blows heavily into or out of the car, enough to pick up papers and blow them out the windows?  The wind tunnel is caused by pressure imbalance within the AC system, and the systems attempt to regain the proper pressure balance between cabins and passageways.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

That's why we keep the cabin door shut at night! 🤟

So what is keeping the overpressure in your cabin?  The fresh air supply is trying to overpressure an 18 square foot opening in the cabin wall.  As with all fluids, the air in the fresh air supply system will flow in the path of least resistance, to your cabin which is at a lower pressure than everyone else's, and therefore less will flow to the other cabins, reducing their cooling.

28 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They will not need that as it is always well below 75 F at night when we cruise.... 👍

So little knowledge of heating and air conditioning design.  Sigh.  Then you are reducing their heating exactly the same.  But I won't feed you more on this.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They will not need that as it is always well below 75 F at night when we cruise.... 👍

HVAC systems are more complex than just maintain a specific temperature. Fresh air, humidity and general ventilation play a major part. Each room does not have its own complete system with individual fans, compressors and heating and cooling systems like a motel room, they are connected. My home has a single large HVAC unit but there are two zones which operate separately using separate thermostats and baffles so the two zones are maintained to the correct and different temperatures.

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

<smh>

Apparently, many people on this thread think that the only way this would be legitimate is if the sign said, "Hey, dumbass, do not leave your balcony door open in the daytime or in the nighttime.  You screw up everyone else's airconditioning, as well as your own."

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So little knowledge of heating and air conditioning design.  Sigh.  Then you are reducing their heating exactly the same.  But I won't feed you more on this.

Yeah, and such strong opinions about things they do not know or comprehend.

I did a wonderful 1 day course a number of years ago about HVAC design from a mechanical engineer.  Lots of things that no one, not doing it, understands or even thinks about.

Thanks for your wonderful input on this and other topics.

If we ever meet, drinks are on me. 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Like 3

Dear chengkp75,

As a technical person myself I wish to thank you for your very informative posts and explanations of how stuff works.  I am always interested in this sort of information but much of it is hard to come by for lay people like me.

But, just as keeping the balcony door open affects other cruisers near by, quoting other peoples lame responses in CC affects other peoples ignore list, and renders them useless. So for other cruise critic users comfort and enjoyment, please refrain from quoting useless and irritating comments. 😁

But please do feel free to bring any other information you wish 🍻

dp

Edited by dpostman

13 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

.... and they have a right to do so! 👍

And I thought that us American's had a corner on the market of being thick headed and only caring about ourselves. SMH.

When your actions effect others comfort it doesn't become "myvaction". If you don't like the line that is queued up for a show do you say "Hey this is my vacation, I don't need to wait".

• Like 3

No matter what the warning on the balcony door says, it's only common sense to keep the balcony door closed while the AC is in use. We keep all our doors and windows closed at home when the AC is running. If the chief says leaving the balcony door open will effect surrounding cabin, good enough for me.  

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

No not only Americans,you are not special.

Yes, I've encountered thick headed people of many nationalities.  And very lovely people as well.  Have learned long ago not to stereotype people based on where they are from.

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Much appreciated! 👍

#myvacationmydoor

So as it is "your" door.

when did you by RCI and how much did it cost you.

Oh, and as your the owner I would like to complain to the owner, you directly about rude and inconsiderate people such a yourself leaving balcony doors open which affects the conditioning of others and many of "your" older ships.

Thanks

• Like 1

Enjoy the fresh air of your balcony

“Passengers don’t realize they can leave their balcony door open overnight. Though it’s important to keep in mind that if you leave the door open, the air conditioning won’t work in your stateroom. I love being able to hear the ocean as I go to sleep.”

This from Harmony of the Seas Captain Gus Andersson in an article where he shares his cruise tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, springfire said:

Enjoy the fresh air of your balcony

“Passengers don’t realize they can leave their balcony door open overnight. Though it’s important to keep in mind that if you leave the door open, the air conditioning won’t work in your stateroom. I love being able to hear the ocean as I go to sleep.”

This from Harmony of the Seas Captain Gus Andersson in an article where he shares his cruise tips.

RCI is totally fine with it! 👍

Only one "expert" here is making a big fuss about it and blowing it totally out of proportion! 🙄

So Captian Gus is sooooo selfish too! 🤣

• Haha 1

• Clarea locked this topic