Carnival Vista - LIVE-Feb 24-Mar 3 - Gal to Montego, GC, Coz - Fun Times, Menus, etc.

Saint Greg

Thanks Greg for sharing the videos- I've always wanted to visit DRF and was thinking about trying it in June when we sail the Vista, but from the looks of things, it's way too much hurry up & wait- standing around waiting for the crowds to move on before you can walk forward... I think I'd find the pace frustrating- I KNOW my hubby wouldn't enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

Thanks Greg for sharing the videos- I've always wanted to visit DRF and was thinking about trying it in June when we sail the Vista, but from the looks of things, it's way too much hurry up & wait- standing around waiting for the crowds to move on before you can walk forward... I think I'd find the pace frustrating- I KNOW my hubby wouldn't enjoy it.

Yes. A lot of that. At first I was going to edit all of that out but then I decided I probably shouldn't...so you get the real experience instead of the highlights.

7 minutes ago, blarko said:

“There’s a hole there” 😂😂😂

How was the water temperature?

Did most people wear some type of water shoe?

And how long did the climb actually take?

Water was comfortable. I think the water shoes were mandatory. I don't think you'd make it without them. They sell them for $10 if you don't bring any. They said it would take an hour..but I didn't time it. It was probably a good hour. 

Edited by Saint Greg

Greg - you should probably get a referral bonus from Carnival.  I've been poking around on the Costco website pricing cruises for a couple of months.  Then I followed your live Vista review and I was almost as bummed at the end of your cruise as I was at the end of ours.  A couple nights ago my daughter asked if we were going on one.  I said if we did it'd be on the Vista out of Galveston, and we'd probably do Jamaica/GC/Cozumel because we did Roatan/Belize/Coz last year.  She found the July 27 cruise and wanted to go on it because she'll have her birthday while we're at sea.  That was the one I was thinking about anyway, and when I checked Costco they had a deal for a cove balcony that was $300 cheaper than a month ago and another $200 in shipboard credit on top of Costco gift cards, making it almost $400 less than last year's cruise.  So with your review fresh in my mind and this kind of deal, we booked it with about 15 minutes' discussion.  My daughter has been snatching the printouts of your FunTimes photos as fast as I hit the button and already making plans.

• Like 2

Thanks, Saint Greg, for this awesome report/review.  IF I can't be on a cruise, I like reading (and seeing pix) about others' cruises.  And you do a great job!

I look forward to following your August cruise!  

We hope to one day cruise out of NO, after visiting fam in Laffy.

Will keep following!

Geaux Saints!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, soontobemerritt said:

Thanks Greg for posting this! 

I am going on my first cruise next year on Carnival Breeze for our honeymoon and it was nice to see so many photos inside the ship!

You know this review was vista not breeze right? You may want to check out this thread from when I was on breeze last year. It doesn't have as much info as the others. That was the cruise before I really got into the detailed live reviews. Also if you look at my Dream threads Breeze and Dream are very similar. For Breeze add in a Red Frog Pub, a Thrill Theater, and a Ropes Course.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 2/25/2019 at 1:23 AM, Saint Greg said:

Okay this thing is glowing with the lights out. It says life jackets under bed. Got it. Don’t need to see it all night in that space alien green.

26c63bfb6ce30cdb45b381dee97def5e.jpg

So that’s why you bring the duct tape.

2f681ebc9a86edd50c8525307c269290.jpg

Problem solved

c8fbb9d9a2cd4bd7add5333c4a7fca83.jpg

Duck Tape, a 101 uses! 😄

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, Saint Greg said:

I was disappointed about my phone battery being dead because on the ride back my window was on the ocean side and I could’ve gotten good pics of all of the things I couldn’t get on the way there... on top of that we took a high road back with an awesome view of the vista and mountains in the background. 

I added a portable charger to my must have travel accessories for reasons just like this.  It's like having a digital security blanket in my daybag.  https://www.amazon.com/BESTON-Cellphone-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B07MKM4QSJ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=YDB2CYMZHWFL&keywords=portable+battery&qid=1566198367&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=mobile&sprefix=digital+wall+clo%2Caps%2C178&sr=1-11

4 hours ago, o-state girl said:

I, too, always carry a portable charger with me when on vacation anywhere. It has saved me from losing countless memories through photos. 

12 hours ago, o-state girl said:

And I have one but I didn’t bring it to Dunn’s River Falls because it wouldn’t fit in my waterproof case and I didn’t know if I’d have a place to put it while I was on the Falls.  If I could go back I would’ve brought it and left it on the bus.

This is the one I use.

Portable Charger Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh - Power bank with built in Lightning Cable [Apple MFi certified] iPhone Battery Charger External Battery Pack, TWICE as FAST as Original iPhone Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6L85CC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QmVwDbGV20XYT

Edited by Saint Greg

On 2/25/2019 at 2:41 PM, Saint Greg said:

This is next to the coffee shop deck 5. You can start checking in here at 5pm. You can also use the app or go to the dining room. At the dining room you have to wait until 5:30. If you want a specific table or server you can request that here or at the dining room but not on the app.

C4AC36A3-0FB6-48D7-B6C1-C3EDB000FDD4.jpeg

I don't see a coffee shop listed on the deck plan - https://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-vista-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=982&deck=5.  Do you mean it's next to the internet cafe or someplace else?

Love your reviews!  I'm heading on the Vista on Nov. 2 for a solo cruise.  I might follow your example and do a live review. It sounds like it would be a fun thing to do, especially as a solo.

14 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

I don't see a coffee shop listed on the deck plan - https://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-vista-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=982&deck=5.  Do you mean it's next to the internet cafe or someplace else?

Love your reviews!  I'm heading on the Vista on Nov. 2 for a solo cruise.  I might follow your example and do a live review. It sounds like it would be a fun thing to do, especially as a solo.

Shake Spot... same place.

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, dianecruising said:

After all these live solo reviews...I finally booked my first solo cruise for my bday - Vista March 7, 2020 - so freaking excited to get to do what I want the entire time!!  Steakhouse, Chef's Table....

Actually, solo cruising interests me, as well, but as someone who has been married for 50 years, this would not fly with my hubby. But to do whatever I wanted, rather than always doing with whatever he chooses, is very appealing. Oh, well. I can live vicariously through all you younger girls/guys solo reviews. I will be leaving soon on a B2B to celebrate that 50th Anniversary. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, Saint Greg said:

It was underwater several times today and not a drop.

Universal Waterproof Case, IFCASE... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HBK9L8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just ordered one for my Vista Cruise leaving on 2/29/20.  Awesome Review, Greg!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Actually, solo cruising interests me, as well, but as someone who has been married for 50 years, this would not fly with my hubby. But to do whatever I wanted, rather than always doing with whatever he chooses, is very appealing. Oh, well. I can live vicariously through all you younger girls/guys solo reviews. I will be leaving soon on a B2B to celebrate that 50th Anniversary. 

I am not trying to give marital advice, especially to someone who has been married 50 years, but one of the things my wife and I like about cruising is we don’t have to do everything together on the ship (off the ship we never spilt up). If there is something she wants to do that I don’t want to do, or vice versa, we both do what we want separately. When we cruise with family and/or friends, which we do the majority of the time, it is very rare that everyone does the same thing together with the exception of dinner in the MDR. 

On 2/24/2019 at 11:46 AM, Saint Greg said:

One problem is the catalogs are at the front of the line. So people aren’t grabbing them until it’s their turn. Only 1 person working this desk even though there are three stations. 

There are other areas on the ship that could be improved with a flow analysis as well.

• 5 months later...