Tipping

19 hours ago, kira5 said:

On a cruise last month, a waiter told us, in a longer conversation at a slow time, that staff do not receive the amount that guests pay for gratuities.     

If that were the case, then why does the waiter continue to work for the cruise line?

It is entirely possible that the waiter was playing on your sympathies in an attempt to get a larger tip.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

To be honest, I don't like the system because it's too expensive from my point of view. Dollars are not my currency, and it's shocking how much money that is for me. But I understand my situation is not the crew's fault, so I'll follow along. I hope they actually get my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree!! 

This policy is for cheap and lazy cruisers. I recommend waiving the fee and carrying a wad of cash and tip those crew who give you that excellent services. 

The cruise line is trying to use this as an excuse not to pay the crew directly. 

Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival use this corrupt practice. You should ask for the break down you’ll be scandalized that the management is included in the pool. 

If you tip crew cash directly you will get exceptional service because they know you care compared to that lazy slob that thinks they only deserve three dollars a day for a five course meal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

Completely agree!! 

This policy is for cheap and lazy cruisers. I recommend waiving the fee and carrying a wad of cash and tip those crew who give you that excellent services. 

The cruise line is trying to use this as an excuse not to pay the crew directly. 

Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival use this corrupt practice. You should ask for the break down you’ll be scandalized that the management is included in the pool. 

If you tip crew cash directly you will get exceptional service because they know you care compared to that lazy slob that thinks they only deserve three dollars a day for a five course meal. 

On most cruise lines, cash given directly to the crew must be turned in to the tipping pool.  

BTW, if the tip pool is such a bad deal, then why do so many want to be crew on cruise ships?

Edited by RocketMan275

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

On most cruise lines, cash given directly to the crew must be turned in to the tipping pool.  

BTW, if the tip pool is such a bad deal, then why do so many want to be crew on cruise ships?

That is false statement about the money given to the tipping pool. If you give a cash tip to a crew member that is theirs to do what they want. Some share with those who help him/ her with achieving excellence. 

Talk to some off the older crew they use to make a lot more money because they worked for the tips. 

Why so so many want to work on ships?? Well most the crew come from India, Philippines or Indonesia where making $700 to $2000 a month is good money. They will take whatever money they can get. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, myra711 said:

One other issue that I don't think I've seen here: now that there is open seating, how would you tip waitstaff?  Per meal?  Much easier to have gratuities included.

As i said in my statement you carry cash to tip each night. Open seating waiter will want you back if you tip them cash if not your considered one of those lazy tippers giving them the generic prepaid amount. 

You said it “easier” meaning you tip on quality or service just they get what they get. 

11 hours ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

That is false statement about the money given to the tipping pool. If you give a cash tip to a crew member that is theirs to do what they want. Some share with those who help him/ her with achieving excellence. 

Talk to some off the older crew they use to make a lot more money because they worked for the tips. 

Why so so many want to work on ships?? Well most the crew come from India, Philippines or Indonesia where making $700 to $2000 a month is good money. They will take whatever money they can get. 

The fact that cash tips must be turned into the tipping pool has been established multiple times on cruise critic.  Try searching. 

How do you know that the 'older crew' isn't trying to influence you to get higher ratings on reviews?

If the crew is receiving 'good money' then what does it matter to you how they're compensated.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The fact that cash tips must be turned into the tipping pool has been established multiple times on cruise critic.  Try searching. 

How do you know that the 'older crew' isn't trying to influence you to get higher ratings on reviews?

If the crew is receiving 'good money' then what does it matter to you how they're compensated.

I was senior hotel management onboard. 

They would come to me with their issues and i know the policy and how it works. 

They are not manipulating me as a guest because i know the system from their side.  It really bothers me that people don’t tip based on the quality of the service received rather just give some generic amount to the cruise line. When I’m in a restaurant shoreside and i get really good service i tip more, if i get bad service i tip less but the cruise line has flatlined this to say “guest this is what the crew deserves nothing less and nothing more and you don’t have to worry about it. Plus because we are saying an average tip we are going to give you average service now.” This is why now you get a room steward assigned to you that has many more rooms to service then before some have up to 20 to do per cruise. Or in my time dinning the waiter doesn’t care who you are because they are not working for that gratuity because you already paid it and that waiter also has multiple tables now. I’m fine with lazy passengers that just think that i have prepaid the gratuity and that is good enough for the crew because when I’m dropping a fifty dollar bill the first day of the cruise to the room and table steward and then through out the week for their service and I’m getting special requests full-filled that is fine and the average cruiser who thinks a prepaid $2.00 tip for a five course meal is good and they get what they get at an average speed that is fine too. 

I’m giving this advice for you to see the difference of service. You don’t need to do but from cruising for the last 40 years of my life and working as senior management onboard I have a good understanding of things and the psychology of the crew. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

I was senior hotel management onboard. 

They would come to me with their issues and i know the policy and how it works. 

They are not manipulating me as a guest because i know the system from their side.  It really bothers me that people don’t tip based on the quality of the service received rather just give some generic amount to the cruise line. When I’m in a restaurant shoreside and i get really good service i tip more, if i get bad service i tip less but the cruise line has flatlined this to say “guest this is what the crew deserves nothing less and nothing more and you don’t have to worry about it. Plus because we are saying an average tip we are going to give you average service now.” This is why now you get a room steward assigned to you that has many more rooms to service then before some have up to 20 to do per cruise. Or in my time dinning the waiter doesn’t care who you are because they are not working for that gratuity because you already paid it and that waiter also has multiple tables now. I’m fine with lazy passengers that just think that i have prepaid the gratuity and that is good enough for the crew because when I’m dropping a fifty dollar bill the first day of the cruise to the room and table steward and then through out the week for their service and I’m getting special requests full-filled that is fine and the average cruiser who thinks a prepaid $2.00 tip for a five course meal is good and they get what they get at an average speed that is fine too. 

I’m giving this advice for you to see the difference of service. You don’t need to do but from cruising for the last 40 years of my life and working as senior management onboard I have a good understanding of things and the psychology of the crew. 

Many people do tip more for quality service. As I understand it auto-tips came about because many passengers would skip out on the last night's dinner in order to avoid having to provide an envelope. I have no idea whether that's true or not since we started cruising after auto-tips started. In any event for us, and I don't think we're all that typical, if we receive quality service we provide more, if we receive standard service we leave the tips as they are and if we receive sub-standard service we would reduce the auto-tip. For the record we've never used option two or three. 

4 hours ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

I've been criticized on this board for my tipping policy which is: "Tip early, tip often, tip generously."  We consider the cruise line gratuity to be the minimum gratuity.  Funny thing.  We never have to wait for a table.  By the second night, the bartender will reach for my favorite bourbon when I walk in.    

Another funny thing.  Those who have worked in the services industries usually have a much different attitude towards tipping than those who have not.  I've shined shoes in a barber shop and worked as a car hop at a drive in.  We actually enjoy tipping.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Many people do tip more for quality service. As I understand it auto-tips came about because many passengers would skip out on the last night's dinner in order to avoid having to provide an envelope. I have no idea whether that's true or not since we started cruising after auto-tips started. In any event for us, and I don't think we're all that typical, if we receive quality service we provide more, if we receive standard service we leave the tips as they are and if we receive sub-standard service we would reduce the auto-tip. For the record we've never used option two or three. 

" I don't think we're all that atypical" is how that should read.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've been criticized on this board for my tipping policy which is: "Tip early, tip often, tip generously."  We consider the cruise line gratuity to be the minimum gratuity.  Funny thing.  We never have to wait for a table.  By the second night, the bartender will reach for my favorite bourbon when I walk in.    

Another funny thing.  Those who have worked in the services industries usually have a much different attitude towards tipping than those who have not.  I've shined shoes in a barber shop and worked as a car hop at a drive in.  We actually enjoy tipping.

Your quote is awesome!!!

That is the way to ensure a cruise that is above standards!!!

• 1 month later...

I don't like the system.  IMHO the cruise line should pay their employees.  And the cost of their employment should be included in the fare.  I feel the same way about restaurants.  If I could snap my fingers and change the USA system to the Australian system, I would.  But I can't.  So I tip the waiter at the restaurant and the ship crew, as per current standards and not stress over it.   

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 11:10 PM, EXCREWCRUISER said:

But this automatic gratuity system is not a USA standard it is something the cruise industry made up to not pay a decent wage and to make the crew work hard for a good tip. 

Resort fees are becoming more common.  

On 6/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, ed01106 said:

I don't like the system.  IMHO the cruise line should pay their employees.  And the cost of their employment should be included in the fare.  I feel the same way about restaurants.  If I could snap my fingers and change the USA system to the Australian system, I would.  But I can't.  So I tip the waiter at the restaurant and the ship crew, as per current standards and not stress over it.   

It really doesn't make a big difference.  You're paying the crew regardless of how the crew is compensated.  

I agree, I think that cruise lines, restaurants, bars etc should be paying their staff a decent wage, at least the minimum.  That way people will tip according to the service they are given.  I don't agree with giving a decent tip to ensure good service, but I believe good & exceptional service should be well rewarded.

(I've worked in hospitality, & I'm also a hairdresser, so I'm fully aware of how tipping works.)  I dont like the way US based companies pay a poor wage, & expect the customer to cover the shortfall in tipping.  I think employees should be paid, and then as a customer, when you receive that outstanding service you will tip far more than the customary amount.  I think that's the best way to guarantee good service, and also make sure the employers also look after their staff.  I also firmly believe in telling management when you have received exceptional or exemplary good customer service too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, if a cruiser takes off the tips, all that serve you will know.  Any money you give them must be turned over to the tip pool or they can lose their job.  Your cabin steward has a list of those who took off the tips.  So does the waitstaff.  If the tips are left in place, the staff can keep the money you give them.  We’re not wealthy but we enjoy rewarding good service.  Ex. Tipping the pool server a couple bucks will ensure good service and he/she will remember you when they see you again, right?  

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think we will ever forget our first cruise (1999) on Carnival Destiny. We had a two top table next to a family of four. Every night that family was so loud and demanding we felt bad for our Servers. On the last night, when you customarily gave your Servers their “envelopes” the family of four was a no show. Twenty years later I still feel bad for how hard they worked to please everyone.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, kira5 said:

On a cruise last month, a waiter told us, in a longer conversation at a slow time, that staff do not receive the amount that guests pay for gratuities.     

This right here.  I will be darned if i'm going to let the cruise line take $100+ from me under the guise of tipping.  I remove auto gratuities and will tip in cash.   Even when I tip at a restaurant, if I tip in cash I put it in the server's hand. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

This right here.  I will be darned if i'm going to let the cruise line take $100+ from me under the guise of tipping.  I remove auto gratuities and will tip in cash.   Even when I tip at a restaurant, if I tip in cash I put it in the server's hand. 

And, those you give cash will have to surrender that cash to the ships tipping pool where it will be distributed as required by the contract with the crew.  So, what have you accomplished?

On 8/8/2019 at 12:41 PM, realtorgranny said:

I don’t think we will ever forget our first cruise (1999) on Carnival Destiny. We had a two top table next to a family of four. Every night that family was so loud and demanding we felt bad for our Servers. On the last night, when you customarily gave your Servers their “envelopes” the family of four was a no show. Twenty years later I still feel bad for how hard they worked to please everyone.

And that table probably went to the front desk and pulled out of the prepaid tips as well.