Barcelona Guided Tours

jeb_bud

We’re cruising on Explorer from Barcelona to Venice in April.  We booked Cat E and took the included hotel which in this case is the Hotel Sofia.

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:00am the day before embarkation.  This will be our first time flying into BCN so I don’t know how long it will take to get through immigration, collect our bags and shuttle to the hotel but I am assuming that we can get there by around 11:00.  After we get our carry-ons stored at the hotel we want to do some sightseeing.  We don’t have a lot of time so I’m thinking we should hire a guide to show us around.

I would love to hear suggested sights to see and also recommended guides.  I know La Sagrada Familia is a must-see and Park Güell is on the list.  What else should we have on our list?  

If you don’t have a lot of time, Sagrada Familia and Park Guell will probably be enough.  See about pre-purchasing your admission tickets - I know Park Guell is capacity controlled and the line at both sites are always long...even in April. 

Sagrada Familia. You must book your tour tickets in advance online. There are several options. I suggest the guided small group with tower assess. Allow about 2 1/2-3 hours.

I like Viator for finding tours.

Lastly. Barcelona is a pick-pocket paradise. Be careful in any crowd like at the church, subways, stores. Even at crosswalks. The pickpocket are all younger teenage girls. They work in packs. Just be aware of your belonging all the time. Best not to carry a bag, backpack or purse. If you do have in it front of you. But don't let this scare you off. Barcelona is a great City and otherwise very safe. Me, I ride the subways and trams there without any issues.

J

Edited by JMARINER

Our travel agent booked us with two tours by Context Travel in Barcelona last November.  They were small group tours of 6 people.  The tour guides were excellent.  (Bypassed waiting lines also.)  We also did Context tours at the Vatican on the same trip and they were equally excellent.

First time using Context, and definitely recommend them. 

We used Francisco with Tours By Locals.  He's a photographer and history buff, and took the most amazing pics for us (and of us!).  The time he spent explaining Sagrada Familia and what all the different sculptures on the facades represented was well worth the price of the tour alone. 

EAGLESLOVER:    Am I correct that a personal tour is necessary to get a tour with Barcelona Day Tours that includes inside visit to La Sagrada?    Does the BDT guide actually guide you inside the cathedral?

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, poss said:

EAGLESLOVER:    Am I correct that a personal tour is necessary to get a tour with Barcelona Day Tours that includes inside visit to La Sagrada?    Does the BDT guide actually guide you inside the cathedral?

Thank you.

Yes. It was a tour just for the 4 of us. She did guide us in the church. We sent our bags to the ship from the hotel. We were picked up and spent  about 5 or six hours touring before being dropped at the ship. Several hours were spent inside the church and around the exterior   She was very knowledgeable about Gaudi 

Second vote for Context.  Used them in Rome and Barca and found their small group day tours excellent.  Expensive but the guides are well versed in the city and subject matter of the tour - no getting on/off a big bus with a so-called guide that speaks poor English and spouts statistics.  Context is worth seeking out on the Internet for descriptions of their tours.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I’m leaning toward the self-guided approach for the flexibility. 

For those of you who have flown into BCN, what has been your experience getting through customs/immigration and collecting your bags?  Should it take less than an hour, or am I being too optimistic?

How long might we wait for the Regent transfer to the hotel to leave the airport?  Our flight from EWR is scheduled to arrive at 0900.  If there’s not a bus full of us will they wait a long time for a full load?

I’m trying to get an inkling of when I might reasonably expect to arrive at the hotel.  Then I can add a cushion and schedule my arrival time at La Sagrada Familia and whatever other sights we decide to visit.

No one has mentioned the Gothic quarter of Barcelona and I find this infinitely more interesting than Gaudi's works (though I do like Parco Guell).   We were on the Voyager a long time ago and the SSS evening involved an evening walking tour of the Gothic quarter, plus a guided visit to the Picasso museum.  Just lovely.   The cathedral is also well worth a visit and in the same area.

19 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I’m leaning toward the self-guided approach for the flexibility. 

For those of you who have flown into BCN, what has been your experience getting through customs/immigration and collecting your bags?  Should it take less than an hour, or am I being too optimistic?

How long might we wait for the Regent transfer to the hotel to leave the airport?  Our flight from EWR is scheduled to arrive at 0900.  If there’s not a bus full of us will they wait a long time for a full load?

I’m trying to get an inkling of when I might reasonably expect to arrive at the hotel.  Then I can add a cushion and schedule my arrival time at La Sagrada Familia and whatever other sights we decide to visit.

Took the same flight in April 2018 for a Mariner cruise. Checked luggage came out promptly. Immigration was quick and for Customs we were waved through. I think we arrived 2 days early. Regent had a van meet us and another couple. No waiting around. At hotel within an hour. Enjoy Barcelona and your cruise!

30 minutes ago, briar14 said:

Took the same flight in April 2018 for a Mariner cruise. Checked luggage came out promptly. Immigration was quick and for Customs we were waved through. I think we arrived 2 days early. Regent had a van meet us and another couple. No waiting around. At hotel within an hour. Enjoy Barcelona and your cruise!

From the airplane to the hotel in an hour, that sounds great!

We live less than ten minutes away from our airport(most people in our little town do) and it takes the better part of an hour. Of course the baggage handling process is very labor intensive here. 

I don't remember exactly how long it took to get from the aircraft to the airport exit but I remember it was fairly quick.  Now, the bus ride to the hotel...that's a different story.  We were staying in the same hotel we had stayed at the year before (Meliá Sarrià) and we watched the bus driver take a wrong turn less than a half mile from the hotel...by the time word got to him, he was apparently hopelessly lost.  Took an extra 30-40 minutes of driving around before we finally arrived at the hotel.

I have a habit now of following along on Google Maps on my phone, to see where they're going while also getting a feel of the surrounding area.  Win-win.  But I AM a bit of a map geek...

• 1 month later...

Highly recommend Robert - World RT.  We found him featured in a United Airlines magazine by United's CEO several years ago.  We've used him 4 times and he is incredible. He can show you local neighborhoods, the typical tourist sites (you've got the right sites with the church and park), local restaurants, and so much more.  He'll tailor the tour based on what you want. Great rate and always exceeded our expectations! 

WoBli - Weblog of Barcelona Local Information

www.world-rt.com

My panoramic/scenic photos: http://www.concept-rt.com/

I wouldn't suggest 'Self Guided" at La Sagrada Familia...you don't know what you'll be missing if you don't get a guide!

Its been under construction for more than 100 years for a reason...there is some meaning to almost everything you see, and a guide will shed light on facts you simply cannot get by yourself.

Whomever you select I emplore you hire a guide there...

We're on the Explorer 4/18 and are arriving a couple of days early to spend time revisiting Barcelona...we have hired a guide for La Sagrada Familia again!

Regent has us staying at The Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos before our upcoming Barcelona-Venice cruise.  Has anyone ever stayed there and can recommend a restaurant nearby?  It seems to be out of the way from what I can see.  Anyone know about transportation in Barcelona? Uber or taxi?

Thanks!

On our last trip,  we asked our hotel waitress at breakfast where she and her family would go for dinner.  She was very young and told us that she and her parents go to L'Ostia for special occasions.  

The cab driver didn't know it by name, but asked another who knew it and dropped us off in a quaint plaza where we walked a short sistance to the open-air restauarnt L'Ostia Barcelona.

We asked the waiter to order what he would serve his family as we wanted a truly local experience...and weren't disappointed!

Starting with Cava and the traditional bread/tomato/olive/cheese beginner, we then had a yummy shrimp appetizer, followed by oxtail for me and lobster for my wife...we also enjoyed a Catalan Syrah with our dinner.

I was so happy I made sure to take a pic of the menu so we could return some day...we'll be there in less 2 weeks!!

On 4/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, twinmom22197 said:

Regent has us staying at The Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos before our upcoming Barcelona-Venice cruise.  Has anyone ever stayed there and can recommend a restaurant nearby?  It seems to be out of the way from what I can see.  Anyone know about transportation in Barcelona? Uber or taxi?

Thanks!

twinmom - we stayed there on our first trip to Barcelona and although it's a nice hotel, it really is off of the beaten path.  The good thing is it's located directly on Avenida (Avinguda?) Diagonal - an easy shot by taxi downtown.  I don't remember how much taxi fare was but I remember it wasn't too bad - maybe $15 or so?

Regent has put us up in the Meliá Barcelona Sarrià a few times and although it's not as nice as the Juan Carlos the location is a lot better.

And remember - whichever hotel you're in while you're in Barcelona it's a lot better than being at work.  I was going to say I see a lot of dark-haired 50 year olds drinking chardonnay with a southern accent, but I live in Upstate SC to that's not anything out of the ordinary for me.   :classic_laugh: