Is there time to see Statue of Liberty?

m and m's

Cruising from Cape Liberty on Adventure of the Seas on September 6.  We are thinking of staying at Comfort Suites at Woodbridge
1275 Route 1 and 9 South,Avenel, NJ, US, 07001 on Sept 5.  I would like to see the Statue of Liberty.  Would it be possible to uber to Liberty Park and see the statue, then continue onto the port?   I put it into uber and it looked like it would be about $30, but I don't know if drivers will do something like this.  Would we have time to uber to Liberty Park, actually take the 8 am  boat out of Liberty Park  (without getting off , about 1.5 hours), uber back to the hotel for the luggage, and then go the port?   I called RC today and the ship doesn't go by the statue,  and they suggested getting to the port by 10 am for a 3pm sail away  Thanks!

44 minutes ago, m and m's said:

Cruising from Cape Liberty on Adventure of the Seas on September 6.  We are thinking of staying at Comfort Suites at Woodbridge
1275 Route 1 and 9 South,Avenel, NJ, US, 07001 on Sept 5.  I would like to see the Statue of Liberty.  Would it be possible to uber to Liberty Park and see the statue, then continue onto the port?   I put it into uber and it looked like it would be about $30, but I don't know if drivers will do something like this.  Would we have time to uber to Liberty Park, actually take the 8 am  boat out of Liberty Park  (without getting off , about 1.5 hours), uber back to the hotel for the luggage, and then go the port?   I called RC today and the ship doesn't go by the statue,  and they suggested getting to the port by 10 am for a 3pm sail away  Thanks!

Folks have done what you are thinking of doing.  Having said that, my concern is why you are staying in Avenel (Woodbridge) NJ?  Are you flying in or are you driving to get a park cruise?  What is your cost tax included?

If you really want to see the SOL, you should stay as close as possible. Avenel is too far away.  Sep 5 is a Thursday, so you want to have the best possible access during the morning rush hour.  

Why are you ubering, it sounds like you have a car? It will definitely cost more than $30 during rush hour, the drive could take an hour. And then to go all the way back to Woodbridge to get luggage and turn around and go to the port? If you want to go to the SOL, you need to be closer.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Why are you ubering, it sounds like you have a car? It will definitely cost more than $30 during rush hour, the drive could take an hour. And then to go all the way back to Woodbridge to get luggage and turn around and go to the port? If you want to go to the SOL, you need to be closer.

I’m puzzled too.  The Comfort Inn does not appear to offer cruise parking, but it could be a private arrangement.  To give good advice we need more details including prices and car/no car info.

We are flying into EWR on Thursday, but don't land  until  7:30 pm .  I booked the Comfort Inn because it has an airport shuttle, but it is refundable.  I have no idea where to stay in the area, so suggestions are welcome.  I googled the views of the statue from  Liberty Park, and it looks like all you can see is her back, so I would guess you would have to take the boat from Liberty park or somehow ride the Staten Island ferry prior to boarding the ship on Sep 6 to see the front of it?   We can't take our luggage to the boat tour, so that's why I assumed we would have to return to the hotel.  Any suggestions on closer hotels, or another way to see the statue would be appreciated.  It sounds like traffic is terrible, so that is why Royal Caribbean suggested to get to the port early !  Thanks,  Mary 

For motel, we could use a queen or 2 double beds, we don't need anything fancy.  The comfort suites is $129  including airport transportation and breakfast,  so seemed like a good deal..  Even if we don't see the statue, would it be better to be closer to the port?   Thanks, Mary

1 hour ago, m and m's said:

For motel, we could use a queen or 2 double beds, we don't need anything fancy.  The comfort suites is $129  including airport transportation and breakfast,  so seemed like a good deal..  Even if we don't see the statue, would it be better to be closer to the port?   Thanks, Mary

Look at Country Inns on lastminutetravel.com for Sep 5.  This is a prepay now cancellable until Sep 3 for $116.49 tax included with free breakfast and free airport shuttle for a room that sleeps 4 (sounds like 2 Doubles)  For 17.50/pp each way the hotel offers a port shuttle. This is a very popular cruise hotel much closer to the port.  I have used this travel website several times for hotels in this area.

You may not need anything fancy, but you also don’t need a “cheap” hotel at Newark Airport. Country Inns is a great deal.

Will look at the SOL timing

Edited by 138east

Ferry schedules are not available yet for Sep.  For a winter schedule you could arrive at Liberty State Park by 9 am, go through Security, and take the 9:30 am ferry round trip arriving back at 10:30 am.  Uber back to the hotel, pick up your luggage, and go to the port.  For a 3 PM sail you need to be there by 1:30 pm. It’s a nice round trip ride even if you don’t get off.  My advice would be to not buy tickets in advance until you’re sure the weather will be good.  Leaving from NJ is not nearly as busy as leaving from NYC.  Our family did this on a really nice day the Sunday after Labor Day and there was no problem getting tickets midday at the ferry.  Just allow some extra time for the security (I’d aim for an 8:30 am arrival without prepurchased tickets).  It’s a bit of a walk from the ticket booth out to the security to get onto the ferry.