Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

I'm not quite to Diamond and the three drinks is definitely appealing. Having never experienced the DL, the drinks loaded on the card sounds fine by me. But it all makes me think, what about the non-drinkers? It looks like they have a legitimate reason to feel slighted by this program. That's a lot of money being sunk into alcohol. I'm not sure what would be fair but they should be able to register as non-drinkers and opt for free excursions/internet or something of equal value.

Times are really good in the cruise industry right now, so if changes are going to be made, now is the time they will make them. Don’t be surprised to see further reduction in member benefits.

We don’t drink alcohol, so I have no real interest in the DL, other than its a nice place to read and relax on colder weather cruises. My favorite perk is the free wash & fold laundry service. That and the balcony discount will keep me grateful.  And hopefully, we won’t see those limited.

We’re on Adventure right now and our cabin reward was six bottles of water and a tray of cookies. An additional dessert tray will come later in the week and then a fruit platter. They also still offer the bath robes, which we decline, and bathroom amenities.

We cruise RCI because we like their product. I consider the D+ benefits as a bonus and am grateful for the few we get. But we don’t hesitate to book on other lines where the deal or itinerary makes it inviting. No reason to cruise exclusively on RCI and miss this opportunities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm not sure which ship you are referring as the CL.  I do remember some 20 years ago the DL on the Radiance being in the VCL and only serving water, soda & wine.  Beer and anything else was for pay.  Also, instead of the nice hor's douvres, only peanuts and pretzels were available.

IMHO, I'll take the present amenities any day over what was offered in the past.  Granted the quality & quantity of food was much better in those days.

We loved the "Diamond Event" on Radiance, but it was still a cigar bar when it was not happy hour time in there, and did kind of reek of cigars 😮  .  There was wine, cheap bubbly, and beer.  Bar snacks were good, since we don't like to fill up on heavy appetizers before dinner anyway.  It was never busy in there.  

No concierge assigned to the Diamond Events, but we did not miss it any way.  It was still a nice time to gather with "birds of a feather" to share cruising stories.  

That cigar bar has since years ago been turned into the current CL, with the DL right across the hallway (walled off section of the VCL).  

Edited by island lady

Perhaps if I had experienced those D+ perks the OP mentioned, I might feel the same way but as a relatively new D+, I never experienced them so therefore don’t miss them. As for that reserved seating area in the main theater,  I remember when it was D and above but by the time I made D, it had changed to D+ and above and now that I’ve hit D+, now it’s gold card and key holders. Never got to use it so don’t miss it, not that I ever needed it. There’s always been plenty of seats and they still open up that reserved area to anyone 10 or 15 minutes before the show. I’m still quite happy with the perks I get. 

• Like 1

I agree with other poster that we have lost quite a few benefits along the way.We use the 4 day internet, 2  photos, some of the three drink item, 2 specialty coffees in specialty rest., wash & fold on long cruises, and visit the lounge doing the day sometimes,

and $250.00 discount on 7 day cruises but often cannot use with wow or others with large OBC, but sometimes okay. Have seen three or 4 times in the last six months on Oasis & other ships , used old Cripp lounge on 4 for overflow. Also seen dazzels used. On indy in Jan we were in grand and used new suite lounge but only 10 or 15 there when we went. They used the viking crown/oliver twist for Diamond overflow.

I think they made the jump to Diamond a little to low. 12 reg 7 day or SIX mini or above will give you 84.  When you get to Diamond plus you only have 525 more points to reach pinnacle.

I think one of the main reason we have such a large crowd is the Campers. Ive seen them come in shortly after 4 arrange the group seating, whenever their other guess decide to join the group later and stay there for several hours or until leaving for show or dinner  then getting two to go.

Increase the  three drink offer to 5, and make this also for the Diamond lounge. If you get to the lounge and enjoy five drinks or less and visit it would give others a chance . This would not be real popular with some but It would not surprise me one day that the diamond lounge would become a thing of the past and drinks only on the card.

I will be leaving in a few weeks on my 71 st .cruise and will continue with royal unless something  changes  that I can't live with.  I guess we will see what time brings.Have other friends on several other lines and also ocuring  on their lines. Bob

11 hours ago, MichaelinME said:

What's with the drooling over Suite guests, that may only cruise once a year or two. All this catering to them, when Diamond/Diamond Plus and Pinnacles cruise much more often and keep there ships pretty full with repeaters.

Let's point out that there are plenty of Suite guests who are also D/D+/Pinnacle too.  Also you are implying that Suite Guests are the reason that your C&A perks Diamond and above are being diluted?  How so? Dedicated Suite Lounges on some ships? How does that conflict with your C&A benefits?  Pinnacles use the SL and CK.  D/D+ have the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge on certain ships.  RCCL "drooling" over revenue from suite guests paying a premium for their cruises?  This somehow bothers you?  Suite guests pay a lot extra for what we loyalists get as a free perk.  Ships are full.  You could argue that RCCL makes less money overall on high-level Loyalists on a given cruise than occasional passengers and suite passengers.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm not quite to Diamond and the three drinks is definitely appealing. Having never experienced the DL, the drinks loaded on the card sounds fine by me. But it all makes me think, what about the non-drinkers? It looks like they have a legitimate reason to feel slighted by this program. That's a lot of money being sunk into alcohol. I'm not sure what would be fair but they should be able to register as non-drinkers and opt for free excursions/internet or something of equal value.

You can get non-alcohol drinks.  Unlike some Pax that overstay in the DL, I order a beer and then take a diet soda to the MDR on Oasis classes.  On the Feb. 2 Symphony sail many bartenders and waiters in the MDR did not scan our sea passes as they should have.  After the 3rd night, the asst. waiter had  diet sodas waiting at our table for both of us.  It was a pleasant gesture.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Let's point out that there are plenty of Suite guests who are also D/D+/Pinnacle too.  Also you are implying that Suite Guests are the reason that your C&A perks Diamond and above are being diluted?  How so? Dedicated Suite Lounges on some ships? How does that conflict with your C&A benefits?  Pinnacles use the SL and CK.  D/D+ have the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge on certain ships.  RCCL "drooling" over revenue from suite guests paying a premium for their cruises?  This somehow bothers you?  Suite guests pay a lot extra for what we loyalists get as a free perk.  Ships are full.  You could argue that RCCL makes less money overall on high-level Loyalists on a given cruise than occasional passengers and suite passengers.

Wonder if anyone has C&A benefits from 15-20 years ago and compare to the present offerings.  Bet the amenities are much more valuable today than in past years.

You know what, I really don't care as long as we get our drink coupons and our fare discounts.  I stopped going to the Diamond lounge years ago for that same reason, over crowding.  Now we are in the chips of retirement and can book suites we usually do.

Just not something I get stressed about.  Not any more anyways....life is short!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villager70 said:

When you get to Diamond plus you only have 525 more points to reach pinnacle.

At the rate we're going 1 to 2 cruises a year, half/half suites, we will never get to pinnacle before I expire...so it's mute point to us.

In the first place paying suite guests are much more valuable than those Pinacle, Diamond / Diamond Plus members that only cruise because life is cheaper on board, since these are high yielding passengers.

unfortunatelly I can’t blame RCCL that the offering of the alcohol in the lounges / on the vouchers is of such poor quality. The wine they offer is just disgusting but the crowds that drink it just don’t care or know how a good wine should taste, they just care that it is for free. Who needs to sit in that overcrowded space, I would be more than happy if Diamond and Diamond Plus Members would get 3 drinks at higher quality and 3 speciality coffees a day + 50% discount on drink packages and the current Diamond Lounge could be dedicated to Pinacles with better drinks but restricted to 6 each which they could use in or outside of the lounge. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Now Now  wine is in the mouth of the beholder!  One of our favorites is a $3.50 local market wine,...but we do enjoy Caymus onboard with the 2for coupon.  Dont be a wine snob:classic_smile:

Agree...and don't just have to go to the lounge for our wine (or drink vouchers)...we love having our glass of wine on the balcony at sail away, afternoons, sea days etc.  Three free bottles of wine delivered to our cabin on 7 night cruises, makes it nice not to lug our own on board.  Seats always available, and can't beat the view.  🙂 

For me the perks are fine — have not experienced any reductions.  Mostly drink Sprite the lounges and get some lattes during the day.

I enjoy the free internet days and free laundry for my spouse.  The bottled water in cabins is nice too.

Not sure who is more valuable to

Royal.  A once a year suite guest or a guest like me who is sailing 9 or 10 voyages per year.  Again, not an alcohol drinker so I don’t feel that I am costing Royal much in perks.  I do enjoy the early on, early off however.

Many frequent guests continue with Royal because of the nice perks.  Without them I would probably go back to Celebrity and Cunard.  Katherine 

12 hours ago, MichaelinME said:

Got off the Freedom of the Seas a couple of weeks ago and the Diamond Plus cutbacks are so evident. Even including Pinnacles!!

Reserved seating for theater shows no longer exist, on Freedom of the Seas anyways. Studio B Ice skating shows are reserved seating for Suites only. 

No Diamond Plus or Pinnacle reserved seating like in the past, just last year we had this.  Royal seems to be catering to the Suite crowd and not there loyal repeat guests who frequent the ships. 

On another note, priority debarkation wasn't offered either, even though its still listed as a perk , along with reserved seating at shows was listed but gone. Priority tendering is gone also. In room Diamond Gift is now 3 cookies, LOL! 2 small bottles of water and 2 cans of soda or juice whichever is in your preferences.

Diamond/Diamond plus used to have a small section in the lido buffet, like chops or Giovanni's to sit in to bring your breakfast. Now that is only for Suite guests!

Its unbelievable how much Royal dilutes the membership in Crown and Anchor. No excuse for this.

More troubling is that I spoke to the Concierge lounge ambassador and he mentioned that there is talk to restrict Diamond members from the Diamond Lounges!! (overcrowding) 

As the ships go into drydock, the Concierge Lounges eventually will be Suite only lounges (renamed).  The Diamond Lounges will convert to Diamond Plus/Pinnacles only Lounge. Diamond members would no longer be admitted to the Diamond Lounge and will be able to only use there 3 Vouchers at any bar in the evening as there perk. This is ridiculous and unacceptable if its really going to happen.

What's with the drooling over Suite guests, that may only cruise once a year or two. All this catering to them, when Diamond/Diamond Plus and Pinnacles cruise much more often and keep there ships pretty full with repeaters.

Royal needs to stop this nonsense!! They are going to start alienating and losing the "bread and butter" cruisers on there ships in my opinion. 

What is the incentive to stay and generally pay more to cruise Royal? Just to get a few free drinks?!

Don't get me started about the other evident cutbacks in food quality and staffing, along with the barrage of nickel and diming. 

The selling of popcorn at the main theater shows is tacky also. $2.50 for a small bag and people chomping on this and spilling everywhere. No place to put your drinks, let alone eat popcorn! LMAOF

My 2 cents. 

There is NO diminishing what you experienced and how disappointed you clearly are.  

You issue with Reserved Seating for Theater Shows.....does still exist.  We were just on Symphony and they had a designated section reserved for D, D+ and Pinnacles and Suites.  Even when you look at the listing on the website it does say "On Select Sailings".....that will always give Royal the ability to change what they do based on the cruiser makeup for a particular sailing.

Priority debarkation on our sailing had offered a lounge with continental breakfast for departure day. I personally, just had breakfast in preparation to disembark, so continental breakfast wouldn't be important to me.  If you mean on a port day, when you had  an early shore excursion --  you just need to leave the ship as needed.

For awhile after reaching Diamond, our cute gift was a box of cookies (that were awful) and a bag of dried fruit.  I actually prefer the 5/6 FRESH cookies that are now in our room.  I actually liked the 4 bottles of water that were in our room which to me, is just fine.

In all the 27 cruises we have taken, on very few ships have we seen a Diamond and Above section in the MDR (on Majesty we had it and Empress), and NEVER have we seen one in the WIndjammer buffet.  When you refer to the buffet area as the 'lido buffet' might you be confusing a Royal ship with another cruise line, since the buffet deck area on Royal is not usually referred to as 'lido'. 

I will agree, and many people on my recent Symphony cruise would agree with you, that charging for popcorn is petty/tacky.  

We love the entertainment and activities.  You did not go into your food complaints and staffing issues.....but we had fine service in the dining room and perhaps we are not 'high end foodies'.....but Royal has added staff to the pool area with lifeguards on staff whenever pools are open.  

If Royal isn't giving you what you want....there are other choices.

3 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

There is NO diminishing what you experienced and how disappointed you clearly are.  

You issue with Reserved Seating for Theater Shows.....does still exist.  We were just on Symphony and they had a designated section reserved for D, D+ and Pinnacles and Suites.  Even when you look at the listing on the website it does say "On Select Sailings".....that will always give Royal the ability to change what they do based on the cruiser makeup for a particular sailing.

Priority debarkation on our sailing had offered a lounge with continental breakfast for departure day. I personally, just had breakfast in preparation to disembark, so continental breakfast wouldn't be important to me.  If you mean on a port day, when you had  an early shore excursion --  you just need to leave the ship as needed.

For awhile after reaching Diamond, our cute gift was a box of cookies (that were awful) and a bag of dried fruit.  I actually prefer the 5/6 FRESH cookies that are now in our room.  I actually liked the 4 bottles of water that were in our room which to me, is just fine.

In all the 27 cruises we have taken, on very few ships have we seen a Diamond and Above section in the MDR (on Majesty we had it and Empress), and NEVER have we seen one in the WIndjammer buffet.  When you refer to the buffet area as the 'lido buffet' might you be confusing a Royal ship with another cruise line, since the buffet deck area on Royal is not usually referred to as 'lido'. 

I will agree, and many people on my recent Symphony cruise would agree with you, that charging for popcorn is petty/tacky.  

We love the entertainment and activities.  You did not go into your food complaints and staffing issues.....but we had fine service in the dining room and perhaps we are not 'high end foodies'.....but Royal has added staff to the pool area with lifeguards on staff whenever pools are open.  

If Royal isn't giving you what you want....there are other choices.

When we last sailed Freedom out of PC there was a D+ (can't remember if it was D also) section available just to the left of leaving the WJ (Chops) that you could take your plate that you filled at the WJ into during breakfast.  Tables set up, juices, coffee, etc....but no table service. It was nice to have the quieter area to enjoy.  

Enchantment two weeks ago had an entrance to the left that was for D, D+, and Pinnacle on deck four MDR for breakfast.  Was also more quiet and could get complementary specialty coffees in that section.  Regular entrance was on the other side.  

55 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Now Now  wine is in the mouth of the beholder!  One of our favorites is a $3.50 local market wine,...but we do enjoy Caymus onboard with the 2for coupon.  Dont be a wine snob:classic_smile:

Grape Creek.  You should be familiar with that winery.  Less expensive than Caymus but some wonderful offerings.  

I agree that the swill they serve in the lounges barely barely qualifies as fermented grape juice.  I stick to poinsettias myself and mr spook indulges in his Jack and Coke.  I will say, however that many of the campers are not drinking anything more exciting than seltzer or lemon drops.  But yes, they are there half an hour early and have late seating so they are there the whole time.  

Last year when we sailed on Allure in January, the DL was very crowded nightly.  The first night we went to the lounge after the muster drill, had an older couple (We're old too) join us as our table was a table for 4.  I was traveling with my sister and she doesn't drink, but she does join me in the DL as she is one day short of Diamond Plus.

I had 2 drinks and we left to go to dinner.  The couple told us they were staying until 7:45 so they could drink there at no charge and still get a couple of drinks with their cards before/with dinner.

The next day I went into the lounge at about 3:30 to ask the Concierge a question about my show reservations.  The lounge was more than half full of people waiting for the Happy Hour to start.

I guess my point is that I can see if at some point RC limits the free drinks to 3 drinks per night.  It wouldn't matter to me as I get the alcohol package so if I want a  specialty coffee in the morning, I can get it as well as the bottled water I drink during the day.  I also get an occasional drink during the day, but I enjoy wine with dinner and a drink or two in the casino or show after dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm not sure which ship you are referring as the CL.  I do remember some 20 years ago the DL on the Radiance being in the VCL and only serving water, soda & wine.  Beer and anything else was for pay.  Also, instead of the nice hor's douvres, only peanuts and pretzels were available.

IMHO, I'll take the present amenities any day over what was offered in the past.  Granted the quality & quantity of food was much better in those days.

5 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Really, as a newbie to both these boards, and to cruising, I'm actually sick of the Diamond people here posting about their entitlements. Maybe when I get to such lofty levels, I will also feel entitled, but at this point, all I see is "I am D+, so I deserve X"

People say they don't need the beverage package because they get "free Diamond drinks". Yep, but that's only in a two hour window. I like to have a drink at various times during the day, one of which is at dinner, where I would like a glass of wine or two.

On a sea day, I may like to have a beer or even a cocktail during the day... not covered by Diamond drinks.

Yes. I realise everyone's needs are different, but so much discussion here is about Diamond, and I work on the idea that if you have cruised enough to be Diamond, you really should know how things work.... 

We do, and it's longer then 2hr window every nite. Don't drink Alcohol, drink Soda Pop. So getting my free can's in my Cabin plus can get my free cans and bottles of water during happy hr to keep in my room. Then other's that drink Wine bring aboard their bottles plus free during Happy Hr. With that unless drink more then few during day no need for Drink package, pay for those and still cheaper. 

I just booked our first cruise on MSC in the Yacht Club.  MSC has an amazing program where they will match any cruise or hotel loyalty program to theirs.  For example:  Diamond Plus would be their top tier, Black.    They are smart to do this as they are relatively new to the US market and are building 5 or 6 new ships to sail out of the US.  The Black level gets an automatic 5% discount and other great perks.  We are trying the YC as it offers a special pool area, dining area and lounge.   This will be our 45th cruise.  We have sailed on many different lines so we have not racked up the loyalty points.  We are plain diamond on RCCL.  Because of the match program, we will go on MSC as Gold which also gets us that 5% discount. 

2 minutes ago, Nashna said:

... Diamond Plus would be their top tier, Black.     ...

I believe someone posted not that long ago that MSC changed their program a  bit and now only RC Pinnacle gets MSC Black.